What's new

Need Tequila Recommendations

Thanks for the ideas. I'll definitely try some Damiana in a Paloma - a fave of mine as well. And the homemade grapefruit soda sounds great. Similar process as homemade ginger beer, but a new spin for sure.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll definitely try some Damiana in a Paloma - a fave of mine as well. And the homemade grapefruit soda sounds great. Similar process as homemade ginger beer, but a new spin for sure.

This has turned into quite the thread! Interesting to flip back over it. You were someone that had had Damiana all along back when I had never tired it and could not find any around the DC area. And you had said that you like Damiana as a small addition to the the usual Cointreau in a Margarita and not as a substitution.

And you made the suggestion for palomas made with Trader Joe's Italian grapefruit soda, which are revelatory! I had never been that attracted to the idea of a paloma until then. I will definitely be interested in your thoughts on a bit of Damiana in a paloma.

To tell you the truth I am not sure I even like Damiana in a margarita as a small addition, not even as just a small change of pace. I think I have said that I have gotten so I like a margarita made with Gran Gala, instead of Cointreau, as a change of pace and for cost savings (inasmuch as, re the latter, Cointreau seems very expensive for what it is but there appear to be for no logical reason no Cointreau substitutes that are very good quality that are at all Cointreau like, if that makes sense). Gran Marnier would be very similar to Gran Gala, sans any cost savings over Cointreau. Gran Gala tastes very different in a margarita than does Cointreau, but it does what it does rather nicely, and in the same theme as Cointreau, to me. Damiana seems to me to have a very different flavor profile than any orange liqueur--basically, it seems to me, herby--and it does nothing for lime juice and tequila that I particularly like. Maybe what I am thinking is that it seems to mask or blot out some of the tequila flavors, and maybe all of the lime flavors!

Whereas in a paloma it seems to marry with and enhance, maybe sweeten, those bitter/sour grapefruit flavors, without rolling over the tequila and lime flavors in a paloma. Maybe I am just making all of this up! But Damiana did not turn out for me to be a big keeper re margaritas.

I really like Casa Noble, too, kedarroy. Which "expression" (blanco, reposado, anejo) of CN were you thinking of? (Although I reported here or somewhere on these fora that recently I tasted blind a number of blanco trequilas including a freshly opened bottom of recently purchased CN blanco and a freshly opened bottle of CN blanco I had had for a couple, if not several years, and I was surprised, and not happily so, in now different they tasted, with the newer bottle seeming inferior.

Two other tequila items I came across. I think Don Julio is currently owned by, of all companies, Cuervo. Also, Torcams, I think earlier you had written in about El Jimador going back to a 100% agave formula after being taken over by Herradura having gone from 100% agave to mixto. And if I did not relate it here, I have certainly told the story on these fora of long ago buying a bottle of El Jimador, which I had been buying and liking a lot, but not liking that bottle, and finding to my surprise that it did not say 100% agave anywhere on the bottle, whereas I had been sure it was a 100% agave product. I am still annoyed at the unannounced degradation of the product while using exactly the same bottle and nearly the same label and charging exactly the same price.

Well El Jimador seems to be up to the same tricks. I buy most of my liquor in Montgomery County MD owned stores. I think I reported that Virginia liquor stores had started carrying the 100% agave El Jimador in a different shaped bottle, and stocking it right next to the mixto version and were selling it for the same price as the mixto, whereas Montgomery County still had only the mixto version in the old bottle.

Then Montgomery County getting the 100% agave in in the new bottle, complete with colorful tags on the necks of the bottles and labelling on the shelves touting the new 100% agave formula. I am not sure the stores did not have posters pushing the new 100% agave formula!

But I went by the Montgomery store where I most often shop, and they were back to exclusively the mixto version. Lots of bottles on the shelves, but every one mixto. The old style bottle, so hopefully no one is confused, but still, ***! Somehow El Jimador just does not seem all that serious about what goes into its bottles or about not causing any consumer confusion. Really too bad, as I thnk when it is 100% agave, theirs is probaby the best tequila at their price point. The mixto is pretty bad.

Cstrother- I must admit that I have a hard time doing justice to your posts. The amount and quality of information/opinion is staggering.

I've put a bottle of Villa Italia in the fridge tonight. Should be able to whip up some Damiana Palomas tomorrow night/afternoon. Will advise.

Well guys, I'm 60+ and been drinking Tequila for a no of yrs. and I have found that El Tesoro Silver and the 'new' Jose Quervo Platino are the best of the best IMNSHO!! I've tried them all and these 2 shine like the proverbial lighthouse through the dense fog!!!! Never did like like 'Crappo' until the Platino came in, but I have to admit that it really gives the all-time best El Tesoro a run for its money. This is a win-win situation, pick either one and you are a winner!!!
Don't waste good Tequila by 'shooting' it, savor the taste by sipping and truly enjoying the 'nectar of the Gods'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum is costing me quite a lot! I thought wetshaving was expensive but since frequenting the Speakeasy I've found that single malts and fine tequilas are even more expensive than my other interests of wetshaving and nice bourbons! While admitting that this is but my second Anejo, I do quite enjoy it. It has a good woodsy flavor which I do enjoy and a certain warmth from the agave I assume. IMHO it seems better than Patron. While I cant imagine it in a margarita, since it is rather strong, it is great neat or on the rocks.

♦falkon, to get the true agave experience, you have to got the Blanco/Platinum route. Anything else and and you are tasting the barrel effect! Trust me!!!

Cstrother- I must admit that I have a hard time doing justice to your posts. The amount and quality of information/opinion is staggering.

I've put a bottle of Villa Italia in the fridge tonight. Should be able to whip up some Damiana Palomas tomorrow night/afternoon. Will advise.

<The amount and quality of information/opinion is staggering.>

Thanks. Although I should take the time to be more succinct re infomation and provide way less opinion. Not sure why anyone should care about "why" I think Damiana tastes good to me with grapefruint and not with lime and tequilla! Probably more than enough that I report that it does!

drfred--darn, I was afraid that Cuervo Platino was going to be something I needed. I agree re the El Tesoro Silver but had pretty much talked myself out of it inasmuch as others did not seem to have much to say about El Tesoro!

Re anejos, I tend to think of myself as preferring blancos, but the truth of the matter is I like all tequillas. I would not put anejo in a margarita usually.

&#9830;falkon, to get the true agave experience, you have to got the Blanco/Platinum route. Anything else and and you are tasting the barrel effect! Trust me!!!

Yes I have heard this. However, I like the "barrel effect". If I were to buy a blanco for sipping, which one would you buy. At the shop here (middle of nowhere, Missouri) they have the following blancos: El Jimador, Cazadores, Herradura, Patron, Don Eduardo, and I believe a box that was Jose Cuervo platinum.

Top Bottom