What's new

Need some starter advice

Hello gents,
Well I've been lurking the leaf more and more lately dipping my toes in threads.

The time has come to actually try a pipe! I haven't smoked anything since I quit cigarettes 4 years ago and I now want something to smoke once or twice a week when relaxing out the back writing letters (thanks to the nib)

I know that the corn cob is probably the best newbie pipe but what else do you gents recommend tobacco wise and anything else I'll need?

Now there isn't much around Australia for pipe smokers so I'll probably need to go international so where is a good place to buy from.

Any advice on a newbie kit would be greatly appreciated, I don't have much money with kids and a single income coming into Christmas things are pretty tight, so I'm going to have to keep the budget pretty thrifty.

Thanks guys and I can't wait to spend my first smoke with you! You all have got me through some tough times, given me laughs, great hobbies and I've made some honest true friends!

Kind regards,
Lex

A pipe (MM Cobs work great), pipe tool, some pipe cleaners, and tobacco is really all you need. Till would know better than I regarding international shipping, but 4noggins.com is known for being very international friendly from what the Canadian guys on here have said.

A pipe (MM Cobs work great), pipe tool, some pipe cleaners, and tobacco is really all you need. Till would know better than I regarding international shipping, but 4noggins.com is known for being very international friendly from what the Canadian guys on here have said.
They are very friendly, however customs may seize and destroy the package for reasons you will understand if you order.

Last edited:
I believe Robster is from the Great Southern Land as well (that's the term, right?), you can ask him about his experiences getting 'baccy into the country.

Fine advice above. A MM corn cob pipe is the perfect starter. If you can't get a czech tool right away, a fat-headed nail makes a perfect substitute. As for 'baccy, any of the tried and true aromatics are a good start: Capt. Black, Half and Half, Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, etc...just avoid anything "cherry-flavored" right off the bat, some are too sickly-sweet and can turn you off from the hobby in no time flat!

I believe Robster is from the Great Southern Land as well (that's the term, right?), you can ask him about his experiences getting 'baccy into the country.

Fine advice above. A MM corn cob pipe is the perfect starter. If you can't get a czech tool right away, a fat-headed nail makes a perfect substitute. As for 'baccy, any of the tried and true aromatics are a good start: Capt. Black, Half and Half, Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, etc...just avoid anything "cherry-flavored" right off the bat, some are too sickly-sweet and can turn you off from the hobby in no time flat!

another substitute for the czech tool is a golf tee, I've used them in a pinch when I didnt have anything else to tamp with

Ah, I guess that is why a pipe pouch is handy. Keeps my baccy, one-two pipes, tool, lighter, and pipe cleaners :thumbup:

lol I keep my pipe pouch in my desk at the office now, but there are still times when I'll load my mm cobb and run out the door with it just in case I have some time somehwere to just sit and smoke randomly during my day lolz

lol I keep my pipe pouch in my desk at the office now, but there are still times when I'll load my mm cobb and run out the door with it just in case I have some time somehwere to just sit and smoke randomly during my day lolz
I keep it in my bag mostly as it is quite bulky. Have two pipe tools, will probably get a Czech tool next just to keep something on me.

that is very cool, but I think im just going to go cut a piece of leather from the warehouse and call it a day.
I don't have access to leather so.... plus Frank is a top-notch guy. His pipe pouch, and key fob are fantastic and are absolute quality :thumbup: Highly recommend!

That being said a tobacco mat is super handy, especially if you are at the pub.

Last edited:
Top Bottom