What's new

Need Some Recommendations for a Beginner's Safety Razor

Hello there,

I am new to wet shaving and I am looking to invest in my first safety razor. I have been using cartridge razors for years; but I have heard so many good things about safety razors that I want to give them a try.

I am looking for recommendations on a good beginner's safety razor. Something that is easy to use and forgiving for someone who is just starting out with this type of razor. I have done some research and there are so many options out there; it is a bit overwhelming.

I have seen a lot of people recommend the Merkur 34C as a good beginner razor; but I am open to other suggestions as well. My main priorities are ease of use; affordability; and durability. I want something that will give me a close shave without too much of a learning curve.

Also, I have gone through this post: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/de-safety-razor-for-a-blue-prism.581040/ which definitely helped me out a lot.

Also, any tips for a beginner would be greatly appreciated; Things like the best type of blade to use; shaving techniques; etc.

Thankyou in advance for your help and assistance.

Hello and welcome!

First thing to take into account is to not press down on your safety razor when shaving. It's something you will have grown used to, using your cartirdge razor. Gentle touch, just let is slide.most of us also do three passes, with the grain, across and against the grain. Take a look at your stubble and how the hair grows to identify which way you should shave on which part of your face.

You'll need a brush and cream or soap as well. Beats canned foam. Any affordable product will do, Proraso, Arko, Lea,....

As for beginners razors:
Edwin Jagger/Muhle de89 is an easy starter
Merkur 34 is comparable, perhaps a notch more efficient

You should be able to find an affordable Gillette Tech for less than what both of those cost. A Tech is a very gentle shaver, it would probably be the cheapest and easy way to transition into de shaving.

After that you will want to experiment with different razors and before you know it you'll have drawers full of beautiful equipment.

Good luck & enjoy!

/edit: where are you from? The early posting hour would suggest Europe?

Last edited:
Just a warning…if cartridge razors already work well for you I doubt you’ll get better results from a DE razor. Many of us here (myself included) use DE razors because carts don’t work well for our whisker/skin types. In my case, cartridge razors result in ingrown hairs and irritation on my neck. Most DE razors don’t cause me any problems. However, DE razors are harder to use and slower. They also don’t shave any closer.

All that said, even if carts work for you there’s nothing wrong with trying a DE. Some like the nostalgia of using an older razor design, some like the slower pace of DE shaving and the relaxation it can provide, and some like the extra focus it requires that allows one to temporarily forget about day to day problems.

If you decide to try DE razors don’t forget about vintage options. I think the Gillette Super Speed and Gillette Slim are great options. Better than most new razors in the same price range. The Slim is adjustable which will give you an idea of whether you prefer milder or more aggressive razors.

Good luck in your journey.

Welcome to B&B, and welcome to the rabbit hole!

If investment is your strategy as stated, then vintage is your only real route (and good luck seeing a ROI!)

If you are looking to purchase a razor that will give you a reasonable shave experience for low cost, then the Lord L5/L6 / Shark SH2.5 should fit the bill nicely. Even though these are going to wear out in 2-3 years or so, you can get a read on what level of aggressiveness you prefer, and ultimately this will help you determine whether you actually enjoy DE shaving or not. In addition, it will guide you in your next purchase.

I came here because I was tired of paying $60/yr (at the time...) for cartridges and thought I would save money. It hasn't saved me anything yet, because I found that I enjoyed the shaving experience enough to treat it as a hobby. Though it's nowhere near what I spent on golf and self-built computers when they were my hobbies, it is also nowhere near the cost of the cartridges.

What you really ought to be asking is what do you recommend as a beginner's razor blade? -Since ALL razors will change their characteristics loaded with different makes of blade

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Hello there,

I am new to wet shaving and I am looking to invest in my first safety razor. I have been using cartridge razors for years; but I have heard so many good things about safety razors that I want to give them a try.

I am looking for recommendations on a good beginner's safety razor. Something that is easy to use and forgiving for someone who is just starting out with this type of razor. I have done some research and there are so many options out there; it is a bit overwhelming.

I have seen a lot of people recommend the Merkur 34C as a good beginner razor; but I am open to other suggestions as well. My main priorities are ease of use; affordability; and durability. I want something that will give me a close shave without too much of a learning curve.

Also, I have gone through this post: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/de-safety-razor-for-a-blue-prism.581040/ which definitely helped me out a lot.

Also, any tips for a beginner would be greatly appreciated; Things like the best type of blade to use; shaving techniques; etc.

Thankyou in advance for your help and assistance.
It might help us if you describe your skin and whiskers for us. You might get more targeted responses.

Have you set a budget yet? That might also be helpful.

Our youngest son got me into wet shaving a little over 2 years ago now.

He started out with the Merkur 38C.. same razor head as the 34C but with a longer handle. It has a barber pole knurling handle. He has pretty large hands. He uses the Merkur Progress modified razor I gave him now... the Mergress... but it's the same as the long handle Progress with a SS knob vs. the plastic knob on the Progress. You might consider either the Progress 500 (regular handle) or the 501 (long handle) as they are adjustable.

If you are drawn to the Vintage razors, as has been suggested, you can pick up a Gillette Tech in pretty decent shape under $20.

Razor blades?... I just copied some of the favorites used around here on B&B. I know a lot of people recommend the samplers but in my opinion, you end up with quite a few marginal blades. I'd buy something safe... like 100 Perma-Sharps or Nacets... but that's just what I did.

A good safe soap to try might be the Stirling Unscented with Beeswax... You can explore all the scented soaps later... There is a plethora of them.. a bit confusing starting out.

Shaving brushes? Lots of people recommend an inexpensive synthetic brush.. or a boar... I'm going out on a limb here... but if you are willing to spend a little more, I think I'd start out with a Semogue Owner's Club Mistura... 26mm. They aren't cheap but it's a very, Very good brush. Unless you end up liking a brush with a larger knot, it will last you for decades, most likely.

I'd pick up a Timeless shaving bowl... They are almost indestructible and are very inexpensive.

I wish you well in your journey.... Don't forget to have a blast. smile

And an official "Welcome to the B&B community".

Hello and welcome!

First thing to take into account is to not press down on your safety razor when shaving. It's something you will have grown used to, using your cartirdge razor. Gentle touch, just let is slide.most of us also do three passes, with the grain, across and against the grain. Take a look at your stubble and how the hair grows to identify which way you should shave on which part of your face.

You'll need a brush and cream or soap as well. Beats canned foam. Any affordable product will do, Proraso, Arko, Lea,....

As for beginners razors:
Edwin Jagger/Muhle de89 is an easy starter
Merkur 34 is comparable, perhaps a notch more efficient

You should be able to find an affordable Gillette Tech for less than what both of those cost. A Tech is a very gentle shaver, it would probably be the cheapest and easy way to transition into de shaving.

After that you will want to experiment with different razors and before you know it you'll have drawers full of beautiful equipment.

Good luck & enjoy!

/edit: where are you from? The early posting hour would suggest Europe?

+1! Two fine options in the ‘mild/moderate’ range!!

I would look at vintage Gillette. Very good razors and depending on condition, won't break the bank. Something like a Tech or Super Speed would be my choice. Best of luck....this is a great place to be to find your next 30 razor purchases.....lol.

I came here because I was tired of paying $60/yr (at the time...) for cartridges and thought I would save money. It hasn't saved me anything yet, because I found that I enjoyed the shaving experience enough to treat it as a hobby. Though it's nowhere near what I spent on golf and self-built computers when they were my hobbies, it is also nowhere near the cost of the cartridges.

I resented spending on cartridges. I don't resent spending on "wet shaving" gear.

I spend a lot more now on shaves, but it's because I enjoy shaving now.

That said, if I ever find myself in financial reversals, I could do it way cheaper than cartridges. A brick of Cella and 100 pack of Perma-Sharps would give me great shaves for a very long time.

Lots of great recommendations already. Although the 34C, Tech, DE89, Lord are great choices I would opt for the ”Henson”. It ranges from mild to ”aggressive”. If you are unsure what mild, medium, aggressive/efficient means then you could read about it all here in the FAQ/Beginners guide. Basically it means (without being to technical, nerdy and semantic about it) how ”close” the razor will shave in a single stroke. Now, that statement is not technically correct but just a starting point to grasp the concept.

I don’t want to overwhelm with angle, pressure, grip and so on (as I said before, there is ALOT of info that you can consume at your leisure on this site) but the Henson provides easily the easiset transition between a cartridge and a DE.

Check out some videos online and read some reviews.

Good luck my friend and have a nice journey😉

To help with the transition from Carts, try the Leaf Thorn (the Leaf Twig is the same razor, just a milder) -- it is a single edge razor but it uses one half of a DE blade (snapped in half - easy peasy to do and Leaf sends you half blades with the razor). I gave one to my son after he had already been using vintage DE and SE razors, but he likes the Thorn because it gives an autopilot shave like a cartridge when he's tired or in a rush. The other advantage is that you still get all of the DE blade choices/options that come with DE Blades (there's only one stainless option for vintage SE shavers (GEM PTFE), luckily it's a great blade), but because you are only using half of a DE blade you get more shaves in from each blade.
1715716064824.png

Gillette Superspeed or Schick Krona.
Yes, a Schick Krona is a great starting razor. I love mine for a quick, no-stress shave. Super cheap and plentiful on eBay.

Just have patience OP. It takes some time to figure it all out, but it's by no means impossible. It's actually fun and for the first time in my life, I enjoy and look forward to shaving. No matter what razor you use, just beware of your head angle. It will make all the difference in a good, irritation free shave and a rough one.

As far as affordability, what's your upper limit? And is it just for the razor and some blades, or does it need to encompass a total kit? Razor, blades, soap/cream, mug/bowl, brush, etc.?

I think the best value in a new razor out there right now is Yaqi's "The Final Cut". It is an adjustable razor that at "5" or "6" is very aggressive and "blade feely", but at "1" or "2" is quite mild and should not intimidate a beginner. And these go for $24 on Aliexpress.
20231127_171054.jpg

I shaved this morning with mine.

The HD 34C, Tech, and various iterations of the Super Speed are fine, certainly. But what they are is all they will ever be, when it comes to aggressiveness. I have all three of those and aside from a red tip Super Speed, I rarely use any of the others. I am thinking of mailing off a few of them to the needy and downtrodden.

Do you live in North America, or Europe?

Top Bottom