What's new

Need scales for restoration project

So i just picked up an old H. Boker king cutter blade online and I need a set of scales for it. I don't need anything fancy, just something to protect it. What do you guys recommend?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Here is the blade i plan on cleaning up and getting shave ready
proxy.php

You can use Wood, Acrylic plastic, those 2 are easy to use and shape. If you get the transparent Acrylic you can see the blade, here is some examples that I have used in the past....

20180909_202904.jpg 20180506_022726.jpg 20180407_105911.jpg 20180915_222112.jpg 20180620_181321.jpg

Hope these help in making you mind up and give you some insight.... Plus you can get Acrylic in A4 sheets 3mm thick

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Acrylic is very easy to work, with just hand tools. It is cheap enough that if you screw up a pair it is no big deal. I use 1/8" thick from TAP Plastics. Very cheap but it is like a $10 minimum order per piece. However a $10 piece is an awful lot of razor scales. I suggest you start with acrylic or maybe wood before trying more expensive or more difficult materials.

I 3D printed a few pairs, and that worked fairly well. I am kind of on a bone and horn kick right now. G10 and Micarta work pretty good too, and they are both very tough materials and not particularly difficult to work.

Pre made scales eliminate a lot of work but I prefer to make them for a particular razor rather than have them 1/4" too long or a hair too short.

If it's me, I'd try this.

What can go wrong?
Even if they aren't perfect, which they likely won't be, I'm sure it'll be fun doing this, and it'll be "unique" and you'll be proud of it in the end. How much worse than inexpensive plastic scales can it be ? :D

With my complete lack of skills and equipment, i am looking for a pre made set. I like the acrylic or g10 look. Any of you guys selling some with pins?

With my complete lack of skills and equipment, i am looking for a pre made set. I like the acrylic or g10 look. Any of you guys selling some with pins?

If you draw around your razor on a a4 sheet of paper, and scan it then post the pic here I will make you a set of scales free of charge.
As I'm at a lose end till I find some more razors to restore.
and what colour you would like....

If you draw around your razor on a a4 sheet of paper, and scan it then post the pic here I will make you a set of scales free of charge.

That's super generous, great to see.
As long as you're offering things free of charge, can I get an advice (also for free?) :D

Is it as easy as that video I posted makes me believe it is ?
Cynic in me wants to say "no way" but as someone who undertakes some of the more complex home renovation projects (and does reasonably well might I add - with no previous experience) to me it doesn't seem to be very complicated thing to do.

Yeah, I get that the first few wouldn't be perfect, but seems easy enough ?? Am I completely wrong ?

That's super generous, great to see.
As long as you're offering things free of charge, can I get an advice (also for free?) :D

Cynic in me wants to say "no way" but as someone who undertakes some of the more complex home renovation projects (and does reasonably well might I add - with no previous experience) to me it doesn't seem to be very complicated thing to do.

Yeah, I get that the first few wouldn't be perfect, but seems easy enough ?? Am I completely wrong ?

They are once you get used to it, but to make the scales they are very easy as the video shows. Wood and Acrylic plastic is very easy as you can sand them by hand to shape, even drill by hand the tricky bit is getting the wedge right so the blade sits in the middle of it all....

As I'm at a lose end till I find some more razors to restore.
and what colour you would like....
Awesome! Will do so! Such an awesome community here! Way friendlier than people on watch or coffee forums hah

You absolutely can duplicate what you saw on that video. It is the video that got me started. I had few tool to work with. Wanted to do wood scales with a coping saw.

Of course, there is a lot of fiddling to learn and things that make work easier. But you will accomplish something beautiful.

Top Bottom