What's new

Need help identifying a Friodur

:jump:

View attachment 62902

It's NOS, and it's awesome! I got it from an old school barber who sold it to me for what he paid for it when he bought it :eek:.

50 dollars was an extremely good deal. In fact, I am eternally grateful that he sold it to me for that price. I guess he could tell that's all I could afford. Hopefully he knows from the 100 times I thanked him that this will be one of my most cherished razors (my great grandfather's two straights are high up there too). This one STAYS. Not that I have all that many :lol:.

Enough gushing about the blade, I'm trying to figure out a few things about it:

1. Is it Inox? My guess is it is not, as it does not say Inox, nor does it have any markings which would indicate it is.

2. Exactly how old is it? It's clearly not new, or even one of those phantom re grinds that are floating around. I say that because the tang is stamped, and I read some posts saying that "new" Friodurs have etched tangs.

It's also clearly not super old, if the fact that it came in a plastic sleeve is any indication (didn't the older ones come in boxes, or is that irrelevant)?

Oh, and specs. It's 5/8, full hollow (although by Henckels standards, I suppose it could be half hollow, I hear they had some really hollow blades), and it has a French(ish) point. It's also awesome, if I didn't already mention that fact.

View attachment 62900

View attachment 62901

:jump:

Looks like a carbon steel Henckels in Friodur scales. Friodur blades have both friodur and inox on the shank. Carbon steel henckels are extremely good, some of the best shavers made.

Looks like a carbon steel Henckels in Friodur scales. Friodur blades have both friodur and inox on the shank. Carbon steel henckels are extremely good, some of the best shavers made.

Interesting. I hadn't realized all Friodurs were Inox. I'm not shaken up about the blade being HCS, either. All of my other blades are HCS and I love them.

Was it a common occurrence for a high carbon blade to end up in the wrong scales at the Henckels factory?

i don't remember so far back if it was a common occurrence or not (probably because I either did not exist, or didn't care about razors), but i would speculate that it was not. they cannot sell it as a friodur because it isn't and label is very prominent.
then they are german, so even though sloppiness is universal their quality control would catch stuff like that.

as long as it shaves well it's all good.

Shaved with it today :biggrin:.

It felt unusually stiff for a blade I pegged to be a full hollow. I switched to another blade I had which immediately felt different. After I finished shaving, I looked at both blades in profile, and I realized that the Henckels is a 1/2 hollow, and the other blade is a 3/4 hollow :lol:.

I like it. It's going to be my razor for when I haven't shaved in a while. I'm ditching my 1/4 grind now :biggrin:.

I think I want to give it some more attention on the hones too. I think I can get more edge out of it yet. I went easy on it at first because it was the first factory blade I had ever honed, and I wanted to keep every possible particle of metal I could on the blade :lol:.

Top Bottom