What's new

Need glue advice

I've a nice brush that is only a few months old. But the knot fell out this morning.
Can anyone recommend a glue or epoxy that I can pick up at Lowe's or WalMart, and is reasonably priced?

Thanks.

Most any epoxy should work fine. If you want to go that extra step though, I believe Lowe's carries Loctite Marine Clear Epoxy for about $5 or $6.

The 'marine' part means it can be applied - and will cure - underwater, not that it's any more durable/resistant to use in water (any properly cured epoxy should hold up just as well as the next one in a wet environment), but a lot of guys use it as an extra precaution anyway.

Last edited:
If you wanted to have a second chance to change the loft after you could try a silicone adhesive. If you apply a small amount you can gently pull the knot out at a later time and set the loft lower or higher (with a spacer). Most would find this unnecessary but as tastes can change and evolve it might be worth considering. I picked up some Liquid Nails brand silicone adhesive and it is holding just fine.... save the two times I removed the knots to adjust :001_rolle

Thanks all.
I guess I need to get as much of the old glue out of the handle as much as possible?

Hi. Being a member of the original Simpson family my suggestion would be the traditional way of fixing. Boil some pearl barley until the sugar dissolves. Strain this off and then reheat slowly until it turns into a syrup. Let it cool for a few minutes and then dip the knot into the syrup. Leave for 24hrs and you will have as strong a bond as when the brush was first made. This lasts for years!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
If you wanted to have a second chance to change the loft after you could try a silicone adhesive. If you apply a small amount you can gently pull the knot out at a later time and set the loft lower or higher (with a spacer). Most would find this unnecessary but as tastes can change and evolve it might be worth considering.

I have also been using silicone for this same reason. I want it to stick but I'm not into the permanency of epoxy. I like RTV silicone rubber (Room Temperature Vulcanizing), used in the automotive industry as a gasket sealant and the electronics industry for potting, as well as many other uses. Clean and easy. And like Loric, I can easily yank the knot out later for whatever reason.

Hi. Being a member of the original Simpson family my suggestion would be the traditional way of fixing. Boil some pearl barley until the sugar dissolves. Strain this off and then reheat slowly until it turns into a syrup. Let it cool for a few minutes and then dip the knot into the syrup. Leave for 24hrs and you will have as strong a bond as when the brush was first made. This lasts for years!

better yet,contact an equine Vetranarian(SP) when he has a dead horse,cut off the hooves,boil um up on the stove until done,use the goo in the bottom of the pot for glue.the old ways are the best waze:lol:

better yet,contact an equine Vetranarian(SP) when he has a dead horse,cut off the hooves,boil um up on the stove until done,use the goo in the bottom of the pot for glue.the old ways are the best waze:lol:

Well the pearl barley method is the only one I can suggest - since we used that method from the 1920s up to the 1990s I think it was quite well proven to be better than horse glue!!!!!

Top Bottom