What's new

Need(ahem...cough) New Face Lathering Brush. WSP/Semogue/Thater?

Gents, as one never bitten by SBAD it has always been relativley easy to look at great brushes and manage the urge. Still, I have a nice assortment of brushes from a Vulfix 2236, B&B Limited 2006 and 2009 models(Jagger and Kent, both superb), DaVinci 293, Savile Row 3824(original model) to a white horse Vie Long that is outstanding for a 35 dollar brush. All these perform well but I have had them all for years and simply want one more.

Okay, first looks. I face lather and find 24/25mm knots ideal. I like them to have very soft tips but with a good density to make the backbone. I think most speak to backbone as a bristle quality in and of itself. And that may be the correct thought process. I like my knots to make their backbone through density but am not adverse to considering hair type for it. Please feel free to refine the diffrences between backbone and density.

Hair. I freely admit to being intrigued by the various 2 band knots out there. My first real temptation was Thater beehive fan in 2 band from Bullgoose. Wow. Ticks a lot of boxes like knot diameter/loft ratio.

Next I see these newer Semogue 2 band SOC models that frankly look about as nice as anything in their price points. They receive great reviews too.

WSP has some very nice models in a couple of hair choices; superfine and silvertip. I really like the look of the Monarch handle which looks suspiciously like the Kent brushes. And that is a good thing. If you have ever handled a Kent brush you know only one word descibes their finish and presentation: class. My Limited butterscotch from 2009 is beyond reproach. Opinions on the bristle types and quality?

Thanks gents. And I am open to other brands. These are simply the ones that have caught my attention.

I had 2 WSP Monarchs in Superfine... first one shed terribly. Lee kindly replaced it. The replacement brush’s knot fell out after about a year. Nice brushes when they work, but I am done with their brushes. Formula T soaps on the other hand will always be in my shave den.

I would suggest a Shavemac 2 band Silvertips knot. This hair grade has soft tops and good backbone. Using the Shavemac custom configurator you can pick the left and size of your knot and handle shape too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Personally, i like Manchurian knots, soft but not overly so and good backbone.
I would look for Zenith, very decent prices at tvbshaving. Elite Razor also has wonderful brushes and very, very nice handles!
You should check Semogue 2 band and LE series (if you find any)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mug.Copper.Manchurian.Oud.R41.2018.640.JPG

Zenith Manchurian, mine from the eBay vendor is wonderful. Very wonderful. Bigger than you like, but they have other sizes.

Thanks gents. Will look into the Zenith models. They seem to get very positive reviews.

The Semogues look good too. I like the the looks of the two tone green and white handles on their boar models but they do not seem to offer them on the badger models. Again, great reviews. Can anyone speak to the differences between their finest and silvertip bristles?

WSP seems to be out. This is not the first report I have read about knot retention issues. Anyone, please feel free to make a suggestion. Also, can we get some Thater 2 band fan owners to chime in.

So many options, so little time!

These days I am really enjoying my Shavemac 2-band from the Rudy Vey B&B group buy!! :a29:

This would likely tick all of your boxes. You could ask Rudy for something similar.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
RoseGold.Lisa'sOud.Mondial.640.7-9-18.JPG

This is, of course, a boar, but it is a very, very good boar brush. Soft right out of the box it was. I always enjoy using it.

No, I don't have any Mondial badgers. This is my only Mondial.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I like them to have very soft tips but with a good density to make the backbone.

I like my knots to make their backbone through density but am not adverse to considering hair type for it. Please feel free to refine the diffrences between backbone and density.

Years ago when the B&B "Essential Boar" first came out, I thought "what the heck" and got one. Up to that point, I was more than happy to spend well over $100 per brush ... and occasionally a lot more over ... to get a badger brush that wasn't floppy or 3D sandpaper.

Well, the boar brush really ... really ... impressed me. It definitely has a break-in period but ... it's a great combination of soft tips and solid backbone. I was not involved in the development process of the brush but ... if memory serves ... one of the things the Mods leading the project did was make sure the knot was well stuffed to increase stiffness and decrease "paint brush" action. In any event, it really impressed, and I now have several, including the last two models produced (salmon glitter and 10th Anniversary gold flake).

I'd definitely encourage you to take a look at this brush in your deliberations. Now, they are no longer in production, and the only one still available (at westcoastshaving only) is the 10th Anniversary ... which comes with a higher price tag, unfortunately. But IMHO still "worth it" in comparison to a $150+ badger brush, and when you toss in the "piece of B&B history" aspect, well ...

Years ago when the B&B "Essential Boar" first came out, I thought "what the heck" and got one. Up to that point, I was more than happy to spend well over $100 per brush ... and occasionally a lot more over ... to get a badger brush that wasn't floppy or 3D sandpaper.

Well, the boar brush really ... really ... impressed me. It definitely has a break-in period but ... it's a great combination of soft tips and solid backbone. I was not involved in the development process of the brush but ... if memory serves ... one of the things the Mods leading the project did was make sure the knot was well stuffed to increase stiffness and decrease "paint brush" action. In any event, it really impressed, and I now have several, including the last two models produced (salmon glitter and 10th Anniversary gold flake).

I'd definitely encourage you to take a look at this brush in your deliberations. Now, they are no longer in production, and the only one still available (at westcoastshaving only) is the 10th Anniversary ... which comes with a higher price tag, unfortunately. But IMHO still "worth it" in comparison to a $150+ badger brush, and when you toss in the "piece of B&B history" aspect, well ...

Ian while certainly a good choice, I will pass on the boar. I actually have an Omega boar from years ago. 25-27mm knot, fairly tall loft. It is broken in well enough to make the tips super soft but no matter how much I use it I always find myself setting it aside for the badgers. I just don't care to use it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ian while certainly a good choice, I will pass on the boar. I actually have an Omega boar from years ago. 25-27mm knot, fairly tall loft. It is broken in well enough to make the tips super soft but no matter how much I use it I always find myself setting it aside for the badgers. I just don't care to use it.

No problem.

One of my favourite badger brushes is a Rooney "Heritage" beehive I picked up when that line first came out. It's the 3-band original; I believe they did a 2-band later (not as good IMHO) and probably still make some version of the brush. Mine is years and years old ... so I can't say if the recent offerings have the same great knot but ... if they do ... certainly consider it.

Absolutely. That is one brand of brush I regret not getting in on when it was resurrected. I believe it was helmed by Lee Sabini, late of Morris & Forndran. I am not 100% certain though.

Do we know if Rooney still exists? At one time Classic Shaving was the North American distributor.

I'll add to the SOC 2-band accolades. super soft, but enough backbone for me to happily face lather with. I was perfectly content with it until I got a smoking deal on an M&F blonde. I still use the SOC fairly routinely.

KW, Semogue is driving up its stock fast. I have already had a good endorsement from a trusted vendor. Seversl members here seem well satisfied too. Thanks for replying.

So many options, so little time!

These days I am really enjoying my Shavemac 2-band from the Rudy Vey B&B group buy!! :a29:

This would likely tick all of your boxes. You could ask Rudy for something similar.
+1 on the Rudy Vey/Shavemac 2 band from the 2018 group buy. Mine is in the fan shape and is perfect for face lathering. I suspect you can get the same knot and a similar sized handle.

Slightly smaller but also excellent for my face lathering are: Simpson Chubby 1 Super, Simpson Duke 3 Best, and Simpson Classic 2 (best).

Based on your size, backbone and face feel requirements, you cannot go wrong with a similar Rudy Vey brush. Rudy was great to deal with and can advise you as to hair, size, loft and shape.

Top Bottom