What's new

Need advice on Gillette NEW handle

I have acquired 3 Gillette NEW razors. Two short combs and a long comb.

One has a practically factory perfect handle, one has a pretty decent handle with only the slightest hairline crack, and one has something that used to be a handle. (Guess which one came from eBay!)

Knowing that these have no realistic value to speak of, is it worth trying to find a good handle for it? Seems like the heads survive far better than the handles, so finding handles is going to be like hunting snipes. Or so it seems. (Anybody got a drawerful?)

I did see someone mention that the Bulldog handles don't fit all the Gillette heads properly, so I looked at the UFO handles. But frankly both of those options cost more than all three razors combined. Is it really worth it?

OTOH, a good handle could fit other razors. So it isn't like it would be a single purpose item.

The new LC and SC heads don't have a fully threaded post, so a handle needs to be slightly countersunk to accommodate that.

Even though I have several good vintage handles I placed an order for a UFO Kaiser Short last week. Based on what I like in length and weight I have high hopes.

The new LC and SC heads don't have a fully threaded post, so a handle needs to be slightly countersunk to accommodate that.

So I see. Thanks for that tip. I saw the Merkur thread size was the same, but hadn't actually tried to use the handle because the shoulder is too wide.

I saw someone mentioned "stabilizing the cracks" in a handle in an archived thread. I can see how to do it with silver solder, but that would wreck the finish, or whatever is left of it. How do you repair one of these things?

do we have a restoration forum around here? Did I miss that. I can't be he only nut thinking about spending hours of time on a $9 razor.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have acquired 3 Gillette NEW razors. Two short combs and a long comb.

One has a practically factory perfect handle, one has a pretty decent handle with only the slightest hairline crack, and one has something that used to be a handle. (Guess which one came from eBay!)

Knowing that these have no realistic value to speak of, is it worth trying to find a good handle for it? Seems like the heads survive far better than the handles, so finding handles is going to be like hunting snipes. Or so it seems. (Anybody got a drawerful?)

I did see someone mention that the Bulldog handles don't fit all the Gillette heads properly, so I looked at the UFO handles. But frankly both of those options cost more than all three razors combined. Is it really worth it?

OTOH, a good handle could fit other razors. So it isn't like it would be a single purpose item.

We have two vendors on B&B who make handles. Tradere, which are also for sale by some vendors on here. The other is Rudy Vey.

Top Bottom