What's new

Need a knife!

That Horimoto looks fantastic. I may have to arrange for something unfortunate to happen to either my Henckels or Global chef's knife.

You should get down to a store(Williams Sonoma or somewhere that has different kinds of chef knives). Get these different kinds of knives in your hands. Most importantly you're going to be the one handling them and no matter how sharp, or what kind of steel etc etc if it doesnt feel right in your hand you're going to be wasting your money. Based on how they feel in your hand you should start looking at other components(German vs. Japanese... 8" 6" 10" 12".... etc...). For someone who's never owned a chef knife before I'd start on the cheaper end like a Victorinox which are WORKHORSES, for the price. If you dont mind spending the money check out a Wusthof Classic. Japanese route check out a Mac chef series or Mac MTH. Amazingly sharp knives.

Would you be opposed to a high carbon steel? If not, I can't recommend the Hiromoto 240mm enough: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/higykn24.html

Don't be like me and become so paranoid of the "high maintenance" that you're afraid to use it. For the past several months, it's practically all I use except when it comes to heavier duty tasks.

Absolutely! Aogami Super is my absolute favorite steel for really fine edges that last a good long time. I have a Nakiri inbound in Super as we speak. Should be here this week. Very exciting!

Good luck, Vlad!

Ken

Stop by a Williams Sonoma or other high end kitchen store. Handle some knives. You don't have to buy there, but you really need to get a feel for the different styles. Some prefer a German shaped Chef's knife, some a French style, some a Japanese.
It's especially important with a first purchase to get what will hopefully become your workhorse into your hand first to see how it feels. Demo some 8" and 10" knives in the different styles to see what suits you. Once you get a feel for which shape and handle type you like I'm sure we can help you find some great options.

Haha, I didn't see guerreit's post. What he said.

Last edited:
I too have not had that "ultimate" chef's knife. I was at Bed Bath and Beyond this weekend and they had a ceramic knife on clearance for $4.99. With a 20% off coupon it was $3.99. They also have some other nice knives of you want the more expensive ones. My wife calls me cheap but I prefer frugal.

Follow Xraygun's advice it is sound.

Legion

Staff member
Stop by a Williams Sonoma or other high end kitchen store. Handle some knives. You don't have to buy there, but you really need to get a feel for the different styles. Some prefer a German shaped Chef's knife, some a French style, some a Japanese.
It's especially important with a first purchase to get what will hopefully become your workhorse into your hand first to see how it feels. Demo some 8" and 10" knives in the different styles to see what suits you. Once you get a feel for which shape and handle type you like I'm sure we can help you find some great options.

Haha, I didn't see guerreit's post. What he said.

Actually, I would say that if you go into the shop, use the stores merchandise, staff, and time to help make your selection, making the purchase off them is the gentlemanly thing to do. Providing their prices are within the range of what other B+M stores are charging.

If you don't want to pay the markup a B+M store has to charge to stay open, buy your knife based on photographs and recommendations from the internet.

Last edited:
I didn't say "don't buy it there". To handle a knife from an internet merchant you have to buy it.
I support brick and mortar whenever I can. Williams Sonoma has very competitive pricing and often great deals.
I should have worded my post more carefully.

Last edited:
I'd go with the knife found in many commercial kitchens: The Dexter Russell Sani Safe. The will hold an edge as long as a Forschner and they have very comfortable handles. Dishwasher safe. Less than $30 at most chef's supply stores.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'd go with the knife found in many commercial kitchens: The Dexter Russell Sani Safe. The will hold an edge as long as a Forschner and they have very comfortable handles. Dishwasher safe. Less than $30 at most chef's supply stores.

Probably found in more commercial kitchens than any other knife. They will often be rotated- send a dull one out for sharpening and it's replaced with a sharp one.

They've long been a solution for high volume needs. I have a Dexter cleaver I bought thirty years ago for less than ten bucks that gets used every day for something.

Whatever you decide upon, you must go to a real shop and handle the knife. You will both spend a lot of time together and comfort is important!

i always advise my cooks who are looking to invest major money in knives (most of us like to obtain a matching, complete set) that knives are like shoes. they fit everyone differently. you can give your opinion on what is and what isn't a good product, but until it is in your hand (or on your foot) you will not know if it will work for you...

i am in the dark here since i don't know what style of knives you currently have, or if they are a good fit for you. i also don't have the luxury of knowing you & being able to judge your body style.

You mention Japanese knives (which I do know a little about)... most typical sets that are readily available fall into two styles:
1. they model the solingen, germany style of knives (most common)
2. distinctly asian (think bamboo handles)

i'm going to start with #2, since it's easier... if you look at the cuisine of most asian countries, there's a lot of vegetarian cuisine & a lot of seafood... these knives are very very good with these 2 items, but after that they tend to be out preformed by the german style...

the german style, best example seen here, is by far the most popular in the US. many national & international companies have modeled their offerings off of this style. for the most part, most home cooks have german style knives. the major benefit to the culinary world is that each country who copied this style also looked at their customers and made determinations based on their target audience... due to my production load in a commercial setting & average sized hands, if i were to use a german style knife from: germany, france or the US, it would make my hand ache. it is too heavy. i actually prefer a japanese version of the german style. overall they are lighter & i find them easier to sharpen & stay sharper longer. my personal knife of choice is the kasumi, but used primarily Global knives for 10 years before I could afford the upgrade... With Globals, you have the best of all worlds, they make a forged line (which are heavier) and a stamped line that both copy the German style of knives, but even the forged are lighter than their German counterparts...

my advice to you after that long-winded reply would be to go to william sonoma (as others have suggested) they carry both styles... ask to see both an 8 inch wustoff classic chef knife and an 8 inch global forged chef knife... hold 1 in each hand & squeeze your hand around the handle tight for a minute or 2... once you let go, if your wustoff hands doesn't ache, you're in luck, you can buy pretty much whatever you want! if it does, you might be relegated to japanese styles (which is not a bad problem to have!).

+1 to go to kitchen knife forum. That place is what enabled me to find this place. Loads of knife-centric advice from kitchen knife fanatics. What better place to get advice on kitchen knives?

Here are just a few that come to mind for your budget . Yes I have them .

Mercer X50CrMoV15 High Carbon German steel
Joyce Chen SS
MIU La Cuisine SS
RH. Forschner.Co Victronox Swiss High Carbon Steel
Messermeister

Top Bottom