What's new

Neck destroyed by a feather

I attempted a second shave with my first feather blade today (in a Tech). I thought it turned out well - BBS, no cuts or irritation during the shave. However, I'm out to lunch with my girlfriend about an hour later and she asks "what's up with your neck?" I go to the bathroom to take a look and I have some very noticeable red, blotchy razor burn. What happened?

Feathers are super sharp. I am guessing u put a bit too much pressure on your neck. It is so easy to get little nicks. Also, i suggest using a hot towel on the neck, it really helps. Make sure u go with the grain, and make sure NO pressure. Feathers can cut like butter but if u put any pressure ur going to get a nick. It requires excellent technique to shave well with a feather. Just practice up!

Feathers, like any other brand, aren't for everyone. They may just not be the right blade for you. Anyway, given your description I'd go +1 on angle problems otherwise.

Feather is about the only blade that RIPS ME UP!!!
Just one of those things

+1 no matter what razor or technique I use the feathers destroy my skin. There's plenty of other razor blades on the market. I settled with Swedes and derbys. Never a problem.

Feather are not for every skin! just my 02 cents.

same here, too sharp for my taste, it also likes to open wounds where the skin isnt 100% clear and even, i´ve learned my lesson, too sharp, they might be better suited to milder razors like the feather popular or the weishi,

I can't get the hang of them either. Feathers always draw a little blood when I use 'em. That said, I'm not giving up! I will not be beaten... er... cut by an inanimate object

How about some corking? It may be that they need a little prep before use. Check the other thread for details. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I use Feathers, Wilkinson swords, Merkurs, Derbys, and Boots blades. The Feathers are the sharpest, but I never cut myself with them. I think it is the combination of blade angle and razor pressure that keeps my face clear of damage. The other thing is your face contours, skin surface, beard toughness and orientation. Clearly, the Feathers can be tamed, they just need the appropriate set of criteria to make them work their best.
Cheers,
Martin

When I used a Gillette Tech, I also had bad results with Feather blades. A little later I tried them again, this time in a Gillette adjustable, and I got much better results, and now I really like them. One thing I would say is that you should try other blades, like Derby blades, or Gillette Silver Blue. Furthermore, I don't know any details of your latehr skills, but if you are not that good at making good lather, or you use a product that might not be very slick, then you may wish to wait a while, or try a different soap/cream.

J

Jarmo P

I can shave with a Feather and get a great shave, just not 2 days in a row.....
I would not call it a great or even a good shave if it irritates the next day. :001_rolle

I shave everyday using feather blades, you have to be awake though, improper technique will result in nicks.

I'll say blade angle and pressure.

Use the blade a few more times with less angle on the blade and a lighter touch.

V

VR6ofpain

Seriously, feathers always beat up my neck. They are not for everyone. I get far superior shaves with Israeli Super Platinums.

Top Bottom