What's new

Neck ATG issue

Hi all,
I’m 8 months back in to DE razors, shaving cheeks, neck and head, I’m doing ok so far but as soon as I go ATG on my neck, Boom!, blades are Derby extras, in Merker 34HD - seems best ATG, Fine Marvel - will not try this on the neck and Rex Envoy, surprising bad on the neck, though this may be due to shaving 2 days prior, any suggestions or do I just do WTG a few times, I have a 4 mm stubble beard so trying to get a clean neck line if I can, stuck with what to try next
Cheers

I have found Derby blades to be insufficient (for me anyway). They can maybe handle 1 or 2 shaves but only going WTG, anything else is asking for cuts/irritation/ingrown hairs. Even when I’ve went to Turkish barbers for shaved and they’ve used Derbys I can feel them tugging after the first pass.

I would suggest trying a different blade, Astra SP or Voskhod are currently working very well for me.

Thanks,

R

I have found the Henson Razor gives me my best neck shave ever. There's a bit of a learning curve since the head design is different from many DE razors, plus I've put a stainless handle on mine because the all aluminum build is just too light for my tastes.

Welcome to B&B.
Hi all,
I’m 8 months back in to DE razors, shaving cheeks, neck and head, I’m doing ok so far but as soon as I go ATG on my neck, Boom!, blades are Derby extras, in Merker 34HD - seems best ATG, Fine Marvel - will not try this on the neck and Rex Envoy, surprising bad on the neck, though this may be due to shaving 2 days prior, any suggestions or do I just do WTG a few times, I have a 4 mm stubble beard so trying to get a clean neck line if I can, stuck with what to try next
Cheers
I would try some different blades e.g. Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette SharpEdge. The Derby Extra post 2016 are a better blade; you may have the older variety.
Derby Extra.JPG
Start with WTG and XTG till you can get a good shave. The ATG pass can be a problem for some people.

I would suggest a mild razor (Tech, Wilkinson Sword Classic, EJ89, Broman) with a sharp blade like Feather or a Nacet. And even then I would only do XTG after a WTG. I can’t do ATG without some issues on my neck and I have been refining my technique and combos since 2009.

Also be sure you are using a good slick cream/soap. I shave ATG daily but starting with XTG and then doing the ATG pass. Some cleanup is required, but I’ve found that limiting the passes keeps my neck happy.

As always, YMMV.

Some great suggestions above!

I also suggest you map your beard to understand what is happening, especially in the problem area.

If your skin stretching consists of pulling the skin in one direction, try spreading in two opposing directions, with thumb and forefinger, pulling skin outward from an area you wish to shave. This often helps people with whorls or other trouble spots. Perhaps it will help you gain improvements in the atg pass on your neck.

I had the same issue with Derby blades. I have since switched to Feather blades, and opened the adjustment on my Gillette a bit more. I no longer have any issues with shaving against the grain on my neck.

Derby blades tug even going WTG for me. I'd suggest testing out different blades and see if they improve. Some that I enjoy are Astra SP and Treet Platinum.

I wanted to be able to get BBS shaves for a while, and tried an ATG pass many times. I’ve pulled it off a few times but for the most part I get weepers and a little bit of irritation. If I put more time in refining my ATG technique, I’m sure I’ll be able to pull it off comfortably but honestly, I don’t see the point. I still get close shaves with 3 passes, just 2 of them are XTG.

Thanks all, been trying some different blades, definitely the Derby’s, much better results with the premium blades, persona, Astra and feather all with no irritation in the meeker, think my angle is off slightly, more practice then I’ll try the Rex envoy,
Thanks for the time and help, much appreciated 👍

Top Bottom