What's new

Nano-Particle Blade Honing....wow.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Is it? Sounds plausible to me. Whether it works in practice or in this implementation is another thing. It could only improve Merkur blades, even before they've been used.

If you think the nano particle honing pad is dumb, let me tell you what some people do with corks.... ;-)

Steve

I use a cork. For DULLING a blade.

I use it on Feather Blades so the first shave edges are not as sharp.

Every shave onwards is great.

I use a cork. For DULLING a blade.

I use it on Feather Blades so the first shave edges are not as sharp.

Every shave onwards is great.

My point exactly. I'll bet the very first person to use a cork was thought NUTS by the people he told. Oh sure, it _sounds_ reasonable that some blades could use some de-horning before use, but a cork!? You'll just dull the blade beyond usability. ;-)

Speaking of honing DE blades and speaking of Feathers, there's a guy over in the latest Feather thread that mentioned that he hand strops his Feathers. Don't know what he uses, but it's not a far leap that you'd want a very fine grit to re-hone a DE blade. What gets finer than nano particles?

Whether it's implemented in this $3 pad or not, we do have the technology. I don't think we have enough information to a priori jump on the "this thing is obviously stupid" bandwagon.

Steve

What gets finer than nano particles?

Steve

Pico Particles! It even has a ring to it.

I think it's feasible it could sharpen, but would the blade angle be correct? The blades barely even stick out of the cartridges ( and tug and cut ), would this pad even really contact the blades?

Speaking of honing DE blades and speaking of Feathers, there's a guy over in the latest Feather thread that mentioned that he hand strops his Feathers. Don't know what he uses, but it's not a far leap that you'd want a very fine grit to re-hone a DE blade. What gets finer than nano particles?

He uses his hand! :001_tt2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogq4wfpT7hc. Also, I believe it was cooncatbob (though I could be mistaken) who said honing only one side of a blade doesn't create and edge, it creates a burr, so that's why this wouldn't work.

They used to sell an "As Seen On Tv" product (I think it was called the "Save a Blade") that would strop your carts. Supposedly it worked pretty well 'til the leather piece broke off the cheap glue job. I'm glad DE blades are so cheap, so that I don't have to resort to such trickery...

Here it is

In a world where M3 cartridges cost as much as they do,,, I'm surprised that this thing ONLY has 50-some sales.... It and it's seller must be new to the market....

It only costs as much as one M3 cartridge.....

Pico Particles! It even has a ring to it.

I think it's feasible it could sharpen, but would the blade angle be correct? The blades barely even stick out of the cartridges ( and tug and cut ), would this pad even really contact the blades?

Not that you'll ever see those, seeing as a single picometer is about 62 times smaller than the diameter of the smallest atom.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Heck, all hones have nano-particles. A Shapton 5K, for example, has a grit size of three thousand nanometers. :001_tt2:

Top Bottom