What's new

Naniwa multi stone 1000/3000.

I am looking into purchasing this multi stone thinking it may be better than the cheaper stones on Amazon. I am a beginner on a budget and wondering if I could get a razor to shave ready with this? I have lapping paper but since i am starting I am using it up before I have mastered getting a good edge on it. Any insight on this would help.

Most straight razors are finished north of 8k, so the Nani 3k is going to fall short. However, you 'may' find that using an abrasive compound after the 3k can get your edge 'in the ball park'. A lot will depend on your skills, expectations, existing edge condition, and so on. But, in general, while personal preferences rule the day; most users will look for a finer stone to finish on.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
3k will cut/scrape hair, but most people want 8k or better as Keith said. A 3k edge will not likely feel very good.

Mastro Livi at one time finished with a 3k and a CrOx pasted strop I believe, so that could possibly work.

Hi, I have the same stone and for the last couple of years it was the only stone i had and then finished on lapping film. My progression was, set the bevel on the 1K side, first progression on the 3K, then 9, 5, 3 and 1 micron lapping films before stropping.

It was a perfectly decent set up and i've honed a couple of dozen razors that way and there is still tons of life left in the stone. I've just added a King 6K and a Chinese natural into my progression to replace the lapping film, the whole set up has still cost less than £100.

So in summary, yeah if you're on a budget it's a decent enough stone that will work and last.

I have the same lapping film grades as well as 30u and 12u.

So far I've had two tries at resetting the bevel on a blunt razor starting with 30u and trying to follow the burr method. First time was a complete failure. Second, the edge was shave-ready but only just. That's not necessarily a bad place to be because a mild edge also means an easy, relaxing shave with a very forgiving blade.

However I would like to go a little sharper. I'm pretty sure the bevel setting stage is where I'm going wrong based on a lacklustre ability to shave arm hair after 30u and 12u. Do you think the Naniwa offers any advantage over 30u & 12u film?

Maybe I just need more practice with what I've got.

3K will cut hair, 5 to 6K will shave pretty poorly, 8K will shave OK, ~10 K and above is a good shave with practice. This is all in JIS.

Like mentioned you can probably get by with pace after the 3K, or you could buy a 10 K Or some other fast finisher and make that jump.

Top Bottom