What's new

Myth or fact - old man whiskers and chin stubble ?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I use to think yes to both propositions when I was wet shaving with carts. Then I ventured into the gentlemanly art of SR shaving. With diamond pasted balsa stropping and about 100 SR shaves in, I changed my tune to no.

I daily shave ATG on my upper lip (fool's pass) to test my blade's edge and get a BBS finish there. That fool's pass is just as easy as WTG on my cheeks.

For my chin, I shave WTG + 2 x XTG for my wanted DFS finish. Again this is as smooth and comfortable as WTG on my cheeks.

SR shaving is not for everyone. It takes fortitude to overcome your ill-founded preconceived fear and then you need to patience to learn.

My chin and mustache is very dense compared to the rest of my face and I think the whiskers are coarser too. I have to keep my straights very keen to comfortably shave ATG on my chin, or use a fresh Feather AC. I don't shave my mustache at all.

It does seem like the white/gray whiskers are larger in diameter than the browns, but I can't tell a difference in the way they cut, yet.

Hmmm, I haven't shaved my chin and mustache in a few years. Cheeks and neck seem pretty easy so far. What I don't shave is pretty much all white.

Some of those YouTube shavers also come here I have met a couple (not in person ofc lols ) …but you can get amazing information here if you know what to ask and if you strike the right person ….being inquisitive can only help you out …there is a wealth of knowledge on this site it’s not just for shaving 👍 plus I find 99% of the people here to be fairly friendly and helpful if they can be 👍

Interesting questions! My answers:

1. My old gray whiskers are tougher to cut. Everywhere!

2. Chin whiskers are as tough as my whiskers elsewhere.

1. My beard is, I think, generally not very tough or course so I don’t have difficulty just because or age or gray that I am aware of.
2. The whiskers under my chin are the toughest to shave on my face. But my mustache hairs are the easiest to get to BBS.

Reactions: jmd
Yes. If I get a perfect 4th shave with no hint that the blade is failing, I retire the blade a hero without a thought of trying for 5.

I'll only go for five if it is a Friday, and I have shaved every day that week (which I do most weeks). But with so many blades and options, rather than eke out another shave, I'm happy to change it up after a good 3 or 4. :)

Top Bottom