What's new

My turn.....Ever-ready 100 restored

Well the basics, drilled out the knot....but then took it to work and had a little help from the boys in the machine shop. Was lathe turned out to 26.5mm and milled deeper to 17mm...this should put the loft at 48mm or so. Then used an epoxy to fill the hole up and give it a bit of weight. Knot is a super badger from TGN, 24mm x 65mm. Now to head to the store and get some marine epoxy.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Great looking brush.

I have not seen that color blue before and like it a lot.

Was the handle hollow ? It looks like the epoxy "filler" is also blue.

Yep once the plug was out it was hollow all the way. The filler is clear.

Im looking forward to using it today and see how it compares to my other brushes. Im pretty proud at how it all turned out.....the handle isnt totally perfect, could have spent more time sanding but in the end I decided that was somewhat of the point of a vintage handle....that it not be entirely perfect. The loft came in right at 48mm....was hoping to get 50mm but thats okay, 2mm isnt going to kill me.

I think these ever ready brushes look great with a 24mm knot stuffed into them. I have a couple more I plan to try out for fun. 24mm Super silver tip, 24mm black badger (coworker wants to buy it when finished), and a 22mm UK boar...I miss my semogue 1305!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Kelly:
Great job....must be a real 'beast' for face lathering. Since I really like restored Ever-Ready's, I just love :001_tt1: the Cream over Blue color scheme. :w00t:

Christopher
proxy.php

You'll have to let me know how the TGN super performs...that's a good looking brush. Nice work!

Well first use in and a few quick observations...

1)It has shed a few hairs, which is to be expected on an extra stuffed knot according to Tony. Will continue to use and monitor this.

2)Holds water very nicely, maybe not quite as thirsty as some of my silvertips but all in all very nice.

3)At 48mm loft this has a lot of backbone in it, but was still pleasant to use on the face....by contrast I have a 26mm 2 band finest set at 48mm from rudy vey and that thing is a monster in regards to soap lathering abilities, but it doesnt bloom very well either and is maybe too stiff. The super badger 24mm set at 48mm is a great balance in this respect.

4)The tips are soft....very soft. So much that it actually makes me look down upon my Semogue LE with special grade of badger hair....right now I'm thinking special my arse. I also own a Vie Long white badger brush, no it is not as soft as one of those. It doesn't present that scritchy problem that the LE does.....it is also way above my two band finest from Rudy (I have two, one set at 48 and one set in the upper 50's).

Overall, I am very pleased with the performance of the knot from TGN. I seem to read alot of comments regarding the TGN knots as if they were subpar quality or just average. I'd have to disagree in that area....while this is my first super badger hair, I can't imagine another makers super being much better in any area as this knot plainly performs for me. I'd have no problem recommending these knots to anyone.

Now I'll just have to wait and see if the Super Silvertip is that much better or if I would have been better to stay with the super badger.

That looks great. I've done a couple where I've drilled through the shelf and filled the handle with epoxy. It gives some nice heft.

Well first use in and a few quick observations...

1)It has shed a few hairs, which is to be expected on an extra stuffed knot according to Tony. Will continue to use and monitor this.

2)Holds water very nicely, maybe not quite as thirsty as some of my silvertips but all in all very nice.

3)At 48mm loft this has a lot of backbone in it, but was still pleasant to use on the face....by contrast I have a 26mm 2 band finest set at 48mm from rudy vey and that thing is a monster in regards to soap lathering abilities, but it doesnt bloom very well either and is maybe too stiff. The super badger 24mm set at 48mm is a great balance in this respect.

4)The tips are soft....very soft. So much that it actually makes me look down upon my Semogue LE with special grade of badger hair....right now I'm thinking special my arse. I also own a Vie Long white badger brush, no it is not as soft as one of those. It doesn't present that scritchy problem that the LE does.....it is also way above my two band finest from Rudy (I have two, one set at 48 and one set in the upper 50's).

Overall, I am very pleased with the performance of the knot from TGN. I seem to read alot of comments regarding the TGN knots as if they were subpar quality or just average. I'd have to disagree in that area....while this is my first super badger hair, I can't imagine another makers super being much better in any area as this knot plainly performs for me. I'd have no problem recommending these knots to anyone.

Now I'll just have to wait and see if the Super Silvertip is that much better or if I would have been better to stay with the super badger.

Great, thanks for the info! By the way, if you haven't done a brush with the TGN Finest grade, I would recommend it...great knot.

Nice brush. I like to hollow'em out and enlarge them as well.Good choice on the knot.Super badger is my personal fav.

Well rather than start another thread, here is the 22mm UK cream boar brush. Basically same thing applied to this one, drilled out, epoxy filled...except the enlargement was just done with a dremel since it was a small increase over the existing knot. Set 14mm in the hole, came out 56mm loft.

Also my super silver tip 24mm is in as well as a black badger in 24mm....those will come later.

proxy.php

Top Bottom