What's new

my superb B&B brush stinks!! help ...

I just used mine for a week, using smelly soaps like Sandlewood, and now it smells yummy. I didn't do the borax thing, cause I don't really trust chemicals on my expensive brush.

FWIW, borax is a natural water softener and odor reducer that works for a number of purposes - and it's in many good shaving creams, including Proraso and the old Palmolive lather (also known as Sodium Borate). It's a recommended treatment by Edwin Jagger, at the very least, and will keep your bristles looking and feeling like new :D

I also just got my brush and maaaaan did it smell funky - not like my C&E best at all. So, after the 1st commemorative shave, I dunked it in a solution of mild dish soap and borax, and now it smells muuuuuch better.

Happy shaving!

Ahhh, the smell of fresh badger filling the air, now that I received my B&B faux horn finest brush! Did the Borax treatment followed by the Dawn/vinegar treatment. Still enough wildness remains to remind me that I've got a new brush. Guess I think of the smell sort of like a new car smell.:smile:

I received my B&B brush Thursday evening and gave it a try this morning. WOW, does it stink. However, I just used it right out of the box. When I got done shaving, all I could smell was the remnants of wet badger overpowering my Speick aftershave.

Fast forward twenty minutes. I gave my wife a kiss as I headed to work and as I pulled away, my wife pulled me back and gave me a strong whiff and another kiss. She stated, "Boy, you smell good today"! I said I was not wearing anything special except my normal aftershave. Again, as I tried to get out the door, she gave ANOTHER WHIFF and ANOTHER KISS!

All I could think, as I was driving to work, is it must be the badger, it must be the badger, it must be the badger.

Guys, quit complaining. My advice to you is to rub that stinky badger all over your face and settle down for some lovin'.:biggrin:

We need to bottle this scent. JOEL???

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My brush is slowly loosing some of it's funk. I've been using it every day, and often letting it soak all day in water with either shave cream or shampoo. Today I left it to soak in dishsoap.

No extra kisses for me, though.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
After just over a week of pretty regular shaving, and a few soaks in shave soap/water and one in dishsoap & water, my brush is now pretty much done with the early funky smell.

I finally received my brushes earlier this week and since I rotate my brushes on Sunday, I finally got to use my B & B ebony Silver Tip this morning. I christened it using an old favorite, L'Occitane Cade soap.

WOW!!!!!! This brush is top shelf....Great lather.....Great feel.....Great weight....Completely outstanding. Kudos to the the folks that made this possible. I am so looking forward to next Sunday to try out my horn Finest.

I do have to comment that there is a badger walking around someplace with a shaved butt......I can say this with confidence because I know where the hair ended up. It is attached to the brush in my bathroom. Either that or my badger had the worst BO in Asia (and that is saying something).

-Scott

Bruce, Great story. Wish my wife would be as complimantary as yours. Mostly she says what is taking so long in the bathroom. However you seemed to achieved shvaing nirvana, stinky badger and all. Good job!!:a50:

I use some of Colleen's TGQ's Bay Rum w/ Orange on my new brushes and that's all you smell afterwards. I kind of like the smell of a new brush, reminds me of a Newfoundland I had once, great dog, but a new badger brush smells like a rose compared to her when she'd go swimming in a lake.

I have not tried this, but I know it works on dogs that have gotten mixed up with a skunk. This is a large amount to soak a brush in, but maybe one of the members can break it down to a usable size.

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid soap

Mix it all together and dip the brush. The hydrogen peroxide and baking soda helps break down the oils that cause the odor and the soap helps flush it away.

For more information Google skunk deodorizer.

I do not know if this will work on a brush, any members have any feed back?

I would stay away from peroxide! Ever heard of a peroxide blonde? I would think this would remover any color from the brush.

Randy

Disregard my previous thread about the skunk deodorizer for brushes. I did some further research on it and found out that it could possibly cause some discoloration. Sorry bout that, the person I got the info from did not say it had an effect on his dog. Before I post this type of info again it will be researched first. Again my apology.

I think my new B&B may have had an odor; but after smoking three cigars a day for a couple of decades, my sense of smell has diminished enough that it didn't seem to bother me. :sleep:

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom