What's new

My Son likes "Raiders of the Lost Ark" so he should also watch ... ??

If he's pre-teen I am assuming it needs to be rated below PG-13?

You could try the following (mix of old and new)

- National Treasure (1 & 2)
- Night at the Museum (1-3)
- The Goonies
- Hook
- Swallows and Amazons
- The Adventures Of Tintin
- Tomb Raider (2018)
- Jumanji
- Sahara
- Stand By Me
- Onwards (Pixar film)
- Shrek (all of them)
- Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief; Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters,

Last edited:
There is no epic-ness in the same ballpark as Raiders, but these are pretty good and came out in the same decade:

Dragonslayer (1981)
Ladyhawke (1985)
The Princess Bride (1987)
Dragonslayer is a favorite of mine. Not only does it take a good stab at historical accuracy -- the king's clothing, for instance, is only a little better quality than that of his subjects; the setting is post-Roman Britain, hardly glamorous; the "magic" language is plain ol' Vulgar Latin -- but the animation of the dragon and her cubs has hardly ever been equaled.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Dragonslayer is a favorite of mine. Not only does it take a good stab at historical accuracy -- the king's clothing, for instance, is only a little better quality than that of his subjects; the setting is post-Roman Britain, hardly glamorous; the "magic" language is plain ol' Vulgar Latin -- but the animation of the dragon and her cubs has hardly ever been equaled.

Forgot about that one...excellent movie!

Wow! I collated a list from this thread for my 15 year old. He enjoyed the Indiana Jones franchise so these are great suggestions (even for me).

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Really appreciating all the suggestions guys!!

I have two that I don’t think have been mentioned. One might seem like it’s a sports move but it’s actually an adventure/growing up move disguised as a sports movie.

The Sand Lot

The Martian (can’t remember the rating so you might want to check first)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Wow ... some real old-timers there ... great stuff. I'm trying to get him to watch as much John Wayne as I can.

The Man Who Would Be King
Rio Bravo
The Seven Samurai
The Great Escape
The Blues Brothers
"The Dirty Dozen"
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you mean this one:
1631119249751.png

it's not likely you'll find many that can rival Raiders. It's amongst the best paced films of all time.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
There are always "Captain Blood" (1935) and "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (1938, and in color)--both with Errol Flynn swashing his buckles (or whatever swashbucklers do).

These really are the models for many a costume adventure film, so why not enjoy the originals?

One of my other adventure favorites? Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" (1954) with Kirk Douglas and James Mason as Captain Nemo.

Oh, yes, not to forget the two Angelina Jolie "Lara Croft" motion pictures (2001, 2003.) Great fun!

That reminds me: Treasure Island and the Swiss Familu Robinson are also good ones. Journey to the center of the Earth (the original and the remake are also good).

There is also a real cool series called Dinotopia in the Action/Adventure genre: .

Top Bottom