What's new

My Restore projects, 10 total, 4 re-knots

I may have a problem. I only started wet shaving a month ago. Here are my vintage brushes so far. These 4 are waiting for re-knots. The rubberset 400 will get a TGN boar. The others are all 20 mm or so holes. The red and white ever ready had very worn lettering so I just sanded it out and am thinking about getting a round monogram laser engraved, that one could be reamed for a larger knot, I suppose. The black and aluminum and the black and butterscotch will need something right at 20mm. I was thinking about trying an ebay special with a pair of knots for the red/white and butterscotch/black. I am still thinking about a TGN synthetic for the black/aluminum, just to try one.

$DSCF0096.jpg

These are my "I Love You Just the Way you Are" collection. I have cleaned and in some cases sanded/polished them, the Klenzo Black and White is a nice solid handle, I repainted the lettering and it looks so good--it probably deserves a new knot, but for now these ones are all rocking their vintage knots which I have used and each one performs adequately. The two on the left are Badger Ever-ready. The others are boar except the one marble painted one may be synthetic, it is very scrubby, but the marbling is wearing off. These will mainly be for display.

$DSCF0098.jpg

I decided that scrubby marble painted brush is boar. It started splitting tips after I did a test lather (leading me to believe it had never been used) it also has a sticker on the back that doesn't look water friendly. Shame it got scratched up. I used it this morning and liked it a lot. It is very dense.

You've got a nice collection going in a pretty short time-- nice! I have a similar brush to your black and aluminum that you can see here and also went with a TGN synthetic knot. For whatever it's worth, it's one of my least favorite brushes to use. It makes lather just fine, has plenty of backbone, isn't scritchy, but I just don't care for the way it feels when applying the lather to my face. It may well be that I just don't care for synthetic knots. In any event, good luck!

That's good to know. I may need to reconsider. I could do a boar or a finest I guess. Pretty small for a boar though.

Top Bottom