What's new

My post shave method

My regimen:

1) Witch hazel splash
2) Clean up the counter while that absorbs.
3) Balm, either Nivea Sensitive, or (more recently) Aqua Velva 5 in 1 Balm.
4) Splash of After Shave, generally Aqua Velva, Pinaud Clubman, or Stirling Soap's British Leather.
5) Pet the dog and attack the day.

Try petting the dog before the balm and report the results. The order here is vital to improve the experience.

A lot of posts saying that they've always patted the face dry before adding aftershave.
I have my process of adding the a/s to my right palm, then flick the tap on and wet my left hand before rubbing together and applying to face. I feel like this makes the a/s go further to give a more even coverage.
I think i will try the wet face thing that King @Marco suggests!

You have also inspired me to dust off my Omega Alum once more. Quick question on this - i always thoroughly dry my alum after use, this is required right? I think a few years ago i didnt dry it properly and it got a gritty texture on the surface.
Thanks

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
A lot of posts saying that they've always patted the face dry before adding aftershave.
I have my process of adding the a/s to my right palm, then flick the tap on and wet my left hand before rubbing together and applying to face. I feel like this makes the a/s go further to give a more even coverage.
I think i will try the wet face thing that King @Marco suggests!

You have also inspired me to dust off my Omega Alum once more. Quick question on this - i always thoroughly dry my alum after use, this is required right? I think a few years ago i didnt dry it properly and it got a gritty texture on the surface.
Thanks

Sir, in +24 years of wet shaving I have always let my Alum Block dry by itself after use and have never had any issue. So, once finished with the Alum, just put it on your shelf wet as it is and, when it looks dry, enclose it in its container or box.

Please, report back your ideas and thoughts on my post shave method. I'm very interested in hearing what you, and all those who try it, have to say. Thank you kindly. :)

Sir, in +24 years of wet shaving I have always let my Alum Block dry by itself after use and have never had any issue. So, once finished with the Alum, just put it on your shelf wet as it is and, when it looks dry, enclose it in its container or box.

Please, report back your ideas and thoughts on my post shave method. I'm very interested in hearing what you, and all those who try it, have to say. Thank you kindly. :)

So i did as you do with the...

apply alum -> cold water rinse -> leave wet -> apply aftershave -> allow to dry...

and i must say it was enjoyable. A few shakes of the a/s into dry hands, rub them together briefly and once my hands hit my wet face, it allowed for even coverage all over. I think i'm converted but will try for a few more days to be sure!

Regarding the drying off of the alum itself once used, i guess because my shelf is a laminated timber, i'd be best drying it off before storage anyway, but good to know that from your experiences, the block does not disintegrate if left a touch wet.

All the best...

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I’m not a fan of alum, don’t like the way it makes my skin feel, but I’m willing to give this a shot. I’ve never considered applying AS to a wet face before, should help cut down on some of the sting! I tried that part by itself yesterday and enjoyed the post shave more than usual just from that step on its own.

Tried again yesterday without the alum and even though the face was full wet, the lotion burned me for good! Maybe I had a deep shave, who knows..

But the Witch Hazel definitely works for me.

I finish with a cold water splash to rinse of lather from the last pass, then squeeze the remaining lather from the brush and apply it evenly over my face and let that dry there while I clean up the brush, razor (which I disassemble and dry) and bowl if used. The post shave face lathering is sometimes referred to as "comfort lather". I definitely think it improves the closeness and bbs feel by somehow adding a bit of tightness as it dries. I rinse that off with more cold water and leave my face wet. Next step is Proraso Green splash and while that evaporates on my face I'm mixing a drop or two of whatever cologne I've chosen into a dime-sized measure of Nivea "Cooling" aftershave balm and on that goes. I think the light scent of Nivea balm is easily overtaken by any cologne I add to it and that it's moisturizing quality helps the longevity by trapping the scent on the skin. Sometimes another drop in the crease of each elbow joint and I'm good to go.

Top Bottom