What's new

My Parker Variant is misaligned

So I've had this razor for about two months now, and I was shaving today and noticed that the blade exposure isn't the same on both sides. I don't know when it happened, I've never dropped it, always align the cap the right way, but it's definitely off by quite a bit. It's been too long for a return, and I've already thrown the box away, so what are my options? Do I contact Parker directly and see what (if anything) they'll do? As it is now, it's not usable in the long term, as the disparity is present no matter how aggressive or mild the setting.

I've got a Slim and Black Beauty to use in the meantime, but still.

Is this an issue with the Merkur Progress?
I just had the same experience. I bought a Variant, took it out of the box and shaved with it the first time and noticed a difference when I flipped it over to the other side to shave. Upon closer inspection I could see the blade gap was different from one side to the other. Looking at the posts in the top cap you can see they are off center which causes the blade gap misalignment. I was fortunate to catch this right away and sent it back for a refund. In the meantime I pulled the trigger on a Progress 510 with the long handle. The Progress does not have this problem. My first impressions of the Progress after a couple shaves are: it doesn't shave quite as good (still really good), the grip is a bit slippery when you're holding it upside down compared to the Variant and the numbers line up better on the Progress. I should've heeded all the quality issues on the Variant, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I would buy the Progress over the Variant for the QC reasons. If you're ok spending some extra money, go with the REX Ambassador. Top quality and a great shave. Still top of my adjustable list.

Reactions: nav
I just had the same experience. I bought a Variant, took it out of the box and shaved with it the first time and noticed a difference when I flipped it over to the other side to shave. Upon closer inspection I could see the blade gap was different from one side to the other. Looking at the posts in the top cap you can see they are off center which causes the blade gap misalignment. I was fortunate to catch this right away and sent it back for a refund. In the meantime I pulled the trigger on a Progress 510 with the long handle. The Progress does not have this problem. My first impressions of the Progress after a couple shaves are: it doesn't shave quite as good (still really good), the grip is a bit slippery when you're holding it upside down compared to the Variant and the numbers line up better on the Progress. I should've heeded all the quality issues on the Variant, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I would buy the Progress over the Variant for the QC reasons. If you're ok spending some extra money, go with the REX Ambassador. Top quality and a great shave. Still top of my adjustable list.
Yeah, my replacement still has the issue. Oh well. I’m shaving with the Progress 510 myself, and while not as aggressive as the Variant, at least the experience is consistent. Threw the Variant in the drawer and that’s that, it’ll be a backup. As for the Ambassador, I’m not that big an aficionado to spent >$200 for a razor, I’m afraid.

Yeah, my replacement still has the issue. Oh well. I’m shaving with the Progress 510 myself, and while not as aggressive as the Variant, at least the experience is consistent. Threw the Variant in the drawer and that’s that, it’ll be a backup. As for the Ambassador, I’m not that big an aficionado to spent >$200 for a razor, I’m afraid.
I hear you on the $200+. I didn't want to spend that much either, but it's a superbly built razor and it shaves better than anything I have in my collection. It's a bit on the aggressive side IMO and I do a three pass shave at 1.5, 1.25 and 1.0. If you do get one, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Best razor I own. Lastly, the 510 is a decent razor though and very versatile.

Top Bottom