What's new

My Math Doesn't Add Up

When using a Parker SRW Shavette, with a Gillette Nacet Stainless blade broken in half, I get about 3 shaves. The blade seems to die when I am almost finished on my 3rd shave.

When I use a DE razor ('40's Super Speed, Flare Super Speed, Merkur Progress) with the Nacet, I get about 3 shaves. With the blade dying as I am finishing my 3rd shave.

So I am getting twice as many shaves per blade edge with the shavette. Does this make sense? Maybe because I am using a shallower angle with the shavette? Anyone else experience this? (My Shark single edge blades give me about one shave per blade in the shavette, but I probably should try and stretch that a little more.)

When using a Parker SRW Shavette, with a Gillette Nacet Stainless blade broken in half, I get about 3 shaves. The blade seems to die when I am almost finished on my 3rd shave.

When I use a DE razor ('40's Super Speed, Flare Super Speed, Merkur Progress) with the Nacet, I get about 3 shaves. With the blade dying as I am finishing my 3rd shave.

So I am getting twice as many shaves per blade edge with the shavette. Does this make sense? Maybe because I am using a shallower angle with the shavette? Anyone else experience this? (My Shark single edge blades give me about one shave per blade in the shavette, but I probably should try and stretch that a little more.)

A VERY interesting question! I’ve thought on it a bit and i’ve concluded that most likely what’s causing it is the coating wearing off. With many coated blades, there’s a marked difference in feel (but not overall sharpness) when a blade has been used a few times. I think because you’re rinsing the blade as often on both, it’s probably the coating coming off at an even rate on both even if the sharpness of the edges may actually be wearing at two different rates. Because blades are so “feel” based, i’d guess this is why they both get chucked after the same amount of shaves. If you were able to measure actual sharpness, I’d guess the DE would be a little sharper because it’s not seeing as much use per edge.

Interesting!!

Nacets are top-tier for me. I routinely get 7-10 comfortable DE shaves! YMMV for sure.

Cannot comment or your specific question as I have never broken one in half.

A VERY interesting question! I’ve thought on it a bit and i’ve concluded that most likely what’s causing it is the coating wearing off. With many coated blades, there’s a marked difference in feel (but not overall sharpness) when a blade has been used a few times. I think because you’re rinsing the blade as often on both, it’s probably the coating coming off at an even rate on both even if the sharpness of the edges may actually be wearing at two different rates. Because blades are so “feel” based, i’d guess this is why they both get chucked after the same amount of shaves. If you were able to measure actual sharpness, I’d guess the DE would be a little sharper because it’s not seeing as much use per edge.
Hmmm... I never thought about the coating. I do try and flip the blade over at least once between shaves. If it is the coating, maybe the angle on the DE is not as shallow and therefore harder on the coating??? I will have to try a different brand blade and see how they compare. Or maybe I should try and stretch the DE out a little more.

Interesting!!

Nacets are top-tier for me. I routinely get 7-10 comfortable DE shaves! YMMV for sure.

Cannot comment or your specific question as I have never broken one in half.
It's interesting. When I use my Nacet in my EJ89, I can't get a close shave. When I use it in my '20s Gillette comb, it seems super aggressive from beginning to end. With the other DEs mentioned above the, Nacet works great. So I might try stretching it out a bit.

Welcome to B&B, Sir Vaporstang!!

My, what tough whiskers you must have!

Never had such short life with my Nacets, or just about any other stainless blade, TBCH!

coates almond dovo merkur vision gillette nacet taylor of old bond st james april 18 2018.jpg

I think shavette shaving, with a really slick lather and a very shallow angle, is easier on the edge than DE shaving. Also it is simpler and quicker to get the blade edge dry between shaves as you wipe off the shavette with a towel.

Doesn't surprise me at all, to be honest.

(When you decide to make your shavette game easier and more enjoyable, buy a Feather SS and load it with a Schick Proline. You can thank me later.)

Top Bottom