What's new

My Great-Great-Grandfather's Shaving Mug

My grandfather passed away a few weeks ago, and my mom was helping my grandmother clear out some older stuff, and she came across my great great grandfather's shaving mug. My grandmother remarked that "no one would want this, right?" but my mom thought that I would, so she brought it home for me.

The mug is marked with "V x D" and "Austria" on the underside, and my great great grandfather's name, Geo. (George) S. Watts, is written in a blackletter font, with gold leaf (it's quite faded). It was dropped and shattered once in my grandfather's lifetime, and he glued it back together. Anyone know what "V x D" and "Austria" stands for? Based on when my great great grandfather lived, it's probably from around the early 1900s.

My grandmother said that this mug was kept at the barbershop and displayed on shelves with all the others, and when the gentleman who's mug it was came in for a shave, they would take it down and use it for them.

It's quite an heirloom, and I'm glad my mom managed to save it.

Congratulations, that is a nice piece of family history to have. I would sure like to have a shaving mug that one of my grandfathers had used.

First, I am sorry to here about your Grandfather.
To have your Great Grandfathers mug is awesome. Perhaps one day your Great Grandson will be using it too...

That's quite heartwarming! I wonder if he used wood glue did the regular glue just discolor over time. Well at least if you crack it, you can JB weld the sucker and your great great grand kids will have something to remember you by.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Yes, it is quite a nice family history find and should find a nice place in your home or bathroom as a display piece. I would fear actually using it as your "gluework" might not match your Gramps if it crumbles.
V&D Austria manufactured Occupational shaving mugs primarily mid to late 1800's. Kovels mentions them in their price guides. Yours is indeed priceless.

Wow, good on you, I am jealous. I think anything that physically connects us to our roots is a treasure, you have been given a wonderful gift.

Very nice piece of history, not only yours, but shaving's past. Great story. Hope you are able to pass it down someday too.

I got my great grandfather's shaving mug when we were cleaning out my grandmother's house last year. She was 93 when she passed away. Nobody knew that the shaving mug existed, but there it was in the bottom drawer in her bedroom. Nobody else wanted it, so I got it by default. It's in very good shape except for one small chip out of the lip.

Here is a reference to V&D Austria shaving mugs from the turn of the centure.
HERE

Here is another HERE

BTW, a great story. The best that I've come up is with my father-in-laws Army Issued DE Razor that he carried in WWII. I've used it and it is in my collection.

Thanks everyone for the information about V&D Austria, and the kind words about my grandfather's passing.

Very cool. I'll be getting my G-G-Grandfather's shaving mug as well someday when my house renovation/addition is complete and I have somewhere to display it. It came from the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis.

ClunkClunk

What a fine thing to have!

Your story reminded me of the movie ATree Grows in Brooklyn. When the little girl's father dies, she goes to the barber shop and collects his shaving mug. That scene broke my heart.

Best Regards

Graham

Top Bottom