What's new

My first straight

Well my first one arrived today. It is a Mathews & Lively Blue Steel 10/16. There is some pitting on it but it is still in good condition. The scales are a dark brown with a white wedge. Hopefully my sheffield and strop will get here from Larry@whippeddog tommorow. I could probably shave with this one but I figure It's best to wait until I have a strop. It does have a edge on it and I dont have any more hair on my fingers

proxy.php

proxy.php

I think your razor looks great. It will work fine for you. And, you have an advantage most do not have when they start: two shave ready razors. I recommend you pick one as your standard, and only shave once in awhile with it, and then only a few square inches. Then, clean and store without stropping.

Of course, after some time you will need to strop. But, for awhile you can pull it out, shave a section, and compare your daily razor's edge to the standard razor.

I think your razor looks great. It will work fine for you. And, you have an advantage most do not have when they start: two shave ready razors. I recommend you pick one as your standard, and only shave once in awhile with it, and then only a few square inches. Then, clean and store without stropping.

Of course, after some time you will need to strop. But, for awhile you can pull it out, shave a section, and compare your daily razor's edge to the standard razor.
Checked the tracking on the one from you and It said it was at my local post office so my guess is it will be here tommorow. Figure I'll wait untill yours gets here so I have something to base my shaves off of. Also to ease off my SBAD restoring I have some acrylic and pinning supplies on their way.

Larry all your stuff was sitting in my mail box when I came home last night. Was too tired to whip up some lather so I had my first shave today. Did both sides of my face and neck. Surprisingly my chin was the easiest to shave. No cut and I didnt kill myself so I think I'm off to a good start.

proxy.php

My hat's off to you for your bravery, sir...taking a pic of yourself during your first straight shave? I've been straight shaving for months and wouldn't do that yet. :) Looks pretty good!

Yes! Looks like you are tearing up the enemy. :)

My hat's off to you for your bravery, sir...taking a pic of yourself during your first straight shave? I've been straight shaving for months and wouldn't do that yet. :) Looks pretty good!

Thank you. It was a fairly good shave. Still have alot to go tho. I probably shouldnt have gone 4 days without shaving then right to a straight cuz there was a bit tugging in the first couple passes trying to get my angles right. 2nd and 3rd passes were real nice. Also made me pay more attention to how my lather was.

From another straight newbie, well done!! :thumbup1:

Keep at it, I am about 1 week in and still feel like I have a long way to go.

From another straight newbie, well done!! :thumbup1:

Keep at it, I am about 1 week in and still feel like I have a long way to go.

What a cool shaving picture. Congratulations on your first shave especially since you did so well.

Thanks guys. Well todays shave wasn't bad. Used some Col. Conk Lime mixed with some gordj delux. I think im going to keep that stuff for when using my DE, just not slick enough IMO, atleast compared to my queen charlottee soaps. Had a couple weapers, nothing bad, and one tiny slice right below my sideburn, I dug it a tad too deep. Starting to get a hang of stroping finally, after taking some pieces out of my strop. I got a crystal alum block the other day so i figured I would use it on my face today because the weapers n cut, well it stopped the bleeding but a tad stingy. woke me up to say the least. Over all not a bad shave. Hopefully my acrylic and supplies will arrive from nerdman so I can get busy making new scales. I think 2 of my razors should arrive today and then my simmions 421 barbers pet 2 piece set later this week. Might give them a shot of cleaning the blades up myself, dont know yet. Keep watching I got some different ideas for the scales that will be getting made up.

Top Bottom