What's new

My First Restorations ever

Here are my two Restorations. I found these in my Grannies house there from my Great Grandpa. So I decided instead of leaving them as is to do right and restore them to their original lustre and shine. It took a fair amount of work, on the Culmark Senior. Had to drill out old resin that seemed to be almost like cement but once that was gone and cleaned out I sanded the outside with 400,600 then the final 800 grit. Then did a light coat of laquer to bring back the shine. Replaced the Knot with a 20mm pure badger knot from Lee Valley Tools.

As for the old wood one, I tried to unscrew the aluminum top but she was wanting to come off so I did everything to get it off but no luck. So in the end I had to cut the aluminum off and save the old wood. I drilled with a 20mm forsner bit. Put it in about a 1/4 inch or so in. Then began sanding with 200,400,600,800. All the way till no old imperfections were left. Then I stained it with Dark walnut stain a few coats and light sanding with 800 grit, then it was time for 12 coats of Rustoleum indoor outdoor lacquer. To bring out the natural shine.

In the end I am very happy with my results, for the the wood one using the dark walnut stain it brought out the old letters and a date of 1936. So I was very happy to see it was restored almost back to what it looked like.

Now they can be used for another 50 years till another restoration is needed.

Let me know what you guys think. You're opinions ? And Comments ?

i am really impressed with the Culmark Senior (white plastic-looking one) moreso than the wood one.. although that's very nice also... it looks very retro-futuristic.

great job on both!

Jordy:

Great job! The fact they belonged to your Great Grandfather makes them very special, I'm sure. My guess is you will enjoy using those brushes for many years. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your shaves.

Don

Phenomenal !!

When I saw the first pic, in my head I thought "this is gonna suck" because they looked so rough.

Then I saw the next one and was taken aback at how good they looked. Very well done.

Top Bottom