What's new

My First Horsehair Brush - Vielong Rolhó 24mm

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Yesterday I received a Vielong Rolhó 24mm knot of brown horsehair, my first horsehair shaving brush.

IMG_20230818_103659.jpg

As received, it had no smell, either wet or dry. Remember, I love that fine fragrant scent of ARKO! 😊

I always face lather. My other brushes are of badger (3), boar (1) and synthetic (3), with a no-brand Chinese synthetic 19mm brush getting almost exclusive use. This morning was my first lathering with the Rolhó and I am comparing it against my no-brand Chinese synthetic.

I had previously been advised by some on B&B to treat this Rolhó like a synthetic, no pre-soaking and use it gently on the face. Being Arkoaugust, after my face preparation, I applied the ARKO stick. Having a much larger knot than my no-brand, I realised that I would need more soap so applied about twice as much as I would normally apply. Dipping the brush in warm water (it's still winter in AU) I commenced face lathering, just using the tips of the hair - no splaying. This worked well and I soon had a lovely wet lather worked up on my face ready for my ⅝ "Bengall" SR shave.

All went well with the first pass. With plenty of lather left on the Rolhó, I relathered for the second pass. Again, all went well.

For the third pass, I found that I needed to apply a bit more ARKO to my face as the lather now left on the Rolhó was getting a bit too thin. With that done, the third pass also went well.

In conclusion, I found the Rolhó to indeed be very similar to my synthetic brush. It does need about three time the amount of soap but that is to be expected due to the knot size. Face feel is not quite as soft as my normal synthetic but still rather pleasant. I will continue using this Rolhó for a week or so to see how it develops using my lathering technique.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Second shave with face lathering using the Rolhó this morning.

Yes, the Rolhó needs about three times the amount of ARKO (Arkoaugust) than my 19mm Chinese synthetic brush. I also found that I need to build the lather up on my face for a bit longer to have enough lather on the brush to cover three passes.

Overall I am pleased with this, my first horsehair shaving brush. It is interesting to use and is just as good as my most favoured, the 19mm no-brand Chinese synthetic, except for the soap required.

I will use this Rolhó brush a few more times next week to make sure that I have everything properly dialled in. Later I might compare it against my badger and boar brushes. That should then do me for natural hair brushes.

Yesterday I received a Vielong Rolhó 24mm knot of brown horsehair, my first horsehair shaving brush.

As received, it had no smell, either wet or dry. Remember, I love that fine fragrant scent of ARKO! 😊

I always face lather. My other brushes are of badger (3), boar (1) and synthetic (3), with a no-brand Chinese synthetic 19mm brush getting almost exclusive use. This morning was my first lathering with the Rolhó and I am comparing it against my no-brand Chinese synthetic.

I had previously been advised by some on B&B to treat this Rolhó like a synthetic, no pre-soaking and use it gently on the face. Being Arkoaugust, after my face preparation, I applied the ARKO stick. Having a much larger knot than my no-brand, I realised that I would need more soap so applied about twice as much as I would normally apply. Dipping the brush in warm water (it's still winter in AU) I commenced face lathering, just using the tips of the hair - no splaying. This worked well and I soon had a lovely wet lather worked up on my face ready for my ⅝ "Bengall" SR shave.

All went well with the first pass. With plenty of lather left on the Rolhó, I relathered for the second pass. Again, all went well.

For the third pass, I found that I needed to apply a bit more ARKO to my face as the lather now left on the Rolhó was getting a bit too thin. With that done, the third pass also went well.

In conclusion, I found the Rolhó to indeed be very similar to my synthetic brush. It does need about three time the amount of soap but that is to be expected due to the knot size. Face feel is not quite as soft as my normal synthetic but still rather pleasant. I will continue using this Rolhó for a week or so to see how it develops using my lathering technique.
Very nice brush, rbscebu! Congratulations, sir!

Top Bottom