What's new

My first fountain pen.

I initially went with converters. Now I tend to simply refill empty cartridges with the bottled ink of my choice. They hold more than and are easier to flush than converters. I use the syringe from my cleaning kit to transfer the ink.
How many times can you refill a cartridge before you have to discard it? I assume it is beyond it's useful life when it starts leaking. I always used the converter but may consider refilling the cartridge. I don't believe in single use cartridges as that is expensive and just contributes to plastic waste.

How many times can you refill a cartridge before you have to discard it? I assume it is beyond it's useful life when it starts leaking. I always used the converter but may consider refilling the cartridge. I don't believe in single use cartridges as that is expensive and just contributes to plastic waste.
Unknown at this point. I don’t write a lot each day.

Best to you

How many times can you refill a cartridge before you have to discard it? I assume it is beyond its useful life when it starts leaking.
Each time you remove and flush the cartridge, inspect the nipple. When it starts to show wear, or cracks, discard. If it doesn't feel like it goes on snugly when next inserted, discard on removal. You want to discard BEFORE it leaks, not after, especially if you carry it in a pocket...

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Reusing cartridges is an excellent way to recycle them and keep them out of the landfill. They go for quite a while, and when they do finally die, you're still way ahead of the Papermate crowd.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Your assumption is correct. How long it takes to get there "depends" ... IMHO mostly on the roughness of the user, or lack thereof, in taking it off and putting it back on each time. For me, though, I'd peg the number of times in the dozens, I guess.

Top Bottom