What's new

My First Foray Into Method Shaving Products

I spent the first part of this week in Austin, Texas and one of the places that was a must-see was Enchante, as recommended by B&B Mod and Pioneer Austin. I mentioned this store to my wife (because of all the soaps, scents, candles, etc) who had the day to roam around while I was in the conference, and Tuesday afternoon between the meetings and dinner she said “Come with me, you have to see this place”.

So, since it was only a 3-1/2 block walk from the hotel, we took a stroll. We were looking over the shaving stuff and the gentleman working came over and asked if he could help us. I mentioned we were just browsing and that my wife had been in earlier in the day and bought some soaps, and I was looking over his shaving stock. He asked what I currently use, and I pointed at the HD under the glass and said “That’s my favourite after the Slant.” His eyes brightened and asked “A Wet Shaver, are you?”

So, long story short, Charles of “Method Shaving” fame (infamy, depends on your views) introduced himself to me. At first, I didn’t believe him. I mean, what’s the odds?

So after 20 minutes of chatting and mostly me listening to him, I left with a bag of samples that included a 1/3rd block, 2 generous samples of his pastes (#1 white and #2 red), something peppermint but not labeled, and some “Commercial” cream samples.

We leave the store and my wife says “OMG, I thought YOU were nuts about shaving”.

We have many people here who are very passionate about shaving, not the least of which are the fine gentlemen who make this site available to us, and Mantic, the “YouTube Shaving Guru” (as a friend calls him). But Charles is by far, the most passionate of anyone I’ve ever met in the flesh.

There are comments here on B&B about the words, phrases and lingo he uses (and I heard it all from him), and I just take that as a product of his personality and his passion for our hobby. There are comments about his “line of products” is too regimented. Well, some people people laugh at me (US, actually) when we discuss shaving. "You spend how much time shaving?? What a bloody waste of time" they say. To me, he’s just one level more into the processes of how he does things.

I’ve shaved twice now with his block and paste, and I believe both are, bar none, the smoothest, closest shaves I’ve had. One of those was even a hotel shave with my LHC and a fresh Feather, after with which I normally feel “wanting”. I always blamed it on the water, or whatever.

I don’t find the block stinks. But then again, the 2 new brushes I’ve recently bought didn’t smell of Badger as most say, and when my wife is gagging off the smell of skunk, I only get a very faint scent of sour, so my nose doesn’t easily pick up bad smells.

I’ll be buying a full block, a tub of paste and some other “Hydrolast” thingys but SWMBO asked me to wait a while until she tries out the soaps she bought from him as she’s going to buy more, both for herself, and as gifts.

Disclaimer:

This post is not meant to be a shameless plug for Charles, his ways or any of his products. The above are my opinions and feelings only. To each his own.

Jim, I'm glad you had a nice trip to our fair city. Enchante is really a mecca for wet shavers. It also has a nice selection to keep your wife busy with non-shaving products. Charles is a really nice gentleman. Well done.

Jim, I'm glad you had a nice trip to our fair city. Enchante is really a mecca for wet shavers. It also has a nice selection to keep your wife busy with non-shaving products. Charles is a really nice gentleman. Well done.

Thanks, and thanks again for the recommendation.

It wasn't all a nice trip though (no fault of the city). We got in Saturday at 3:30, and got our luggage at 4:00 ......................... Monday:001_huh::eek::mad:

I didn't mention, she also took me to Allen's Boots (How far did you walk Woman?).

I only found one pair in the store to fit me though. A lovely pair of Lucchese for ........................ well ............................ a bit out of my price range.

But man oh man, did they ever fit nice, even brand new!!!!

Top Bottom