What's new

My first DIY....1095 and paduak

My first complete DIY.
1095, 1/4” thick. Rough profile on portaband, ground to profile on my AmeriBrade Fastback (thanks Santa), heat treat in the propane forge (just past non-magnetic), quenched in Canola at 150 degrees, tempered 400 degree twice for an hour. Finish grind with 6”wheel up to about 240 (would have gone higher but was too excited to just get one together). Honed 1k, 3k, 6k, 8k, 12k. Bevels a little uneven but shaved my armhair. Quick work of a paduak scale set, simple spacer, copper pins with nickel spacers.

First shave I give 5/10. Better than some of my vintage restores, not as good as many others. Will take it back to the hones this week.

I have many others coming down the line to test my heat treat and other design profiles.

Critiques welcome.

A06E3BA7-1AE2-4D9A-AE31-435F3D428ADD.jpeg

Love it, nicely done. I have been kicking around the idea if building a forge out of an old propane tank I have and get myself into knife/razor making. This makes me REALLY want to get going on it!!!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My first complete DIY.
1095, 1/4” thick. Rough profile on portaband, ground to profile on my AmeriBrade Fastback (thanks Santa), heat treat in the propane forge (just past non-magnetic), quenched in Canola at 150 degrees, tempered 400 degree twice for an hour. Finish grind with 6”wheel up to about 240 (would have gone higher but was too excited to just get one together). Honed 1k, 3k, 6k, 8k, 12k. Bevels a little uneven but shaved my armhair. Quick work of a paduak scale set, simple spacer, copper pins with nickel spacers.

First shave I give 5/10. Better than some of my vintage restores, not as good as many others. Will take it back to the hones this week.

I have many others coming down the line to test my heat treat and other design profiles.

Critiques welcome.

View attachment 1199584
Only positive critique here, as in a two thumbs up from Siskel and Ebert. Absolute Wonderfulness!

Top Bottom