What's new

My first dance with the Ever Ready 1914 “Lil’ Lather Catcher”

IMG_3019.JPG

The picture above doesn't do it justice as compared to seeing it in your hand.
My camera lens is sharp as a tack and picks up all the tiny little scratches that you would never see while holding it.

Wow I have been waiting for this razor for a while now. I waited until one came available that was in excellent condition and this one is. This is a very beautiful razor.

It’s an Ever Ready 1914 “Lil’ Lather Catcher”.

Nice looking and good lines. It fits the hand well. Even though the smooth handle is made of what I think is chrome, it’s not slippery at all. I am very pleased with it. The balance in the hand and shaving with it is quite nice.

A welcome surprise as I thought that I might have to change the handle but not so. My first foray into the SE world was a Gem 1912. I really loved that razor but had to switch out the handle for my hand. I don't know why the Every Ready handle fits while the Gem doesn't as they are pretty much the same handle. Go figure. I'm still scratching my head on that one.
I also find it very easy to load, another nice surprise as I have an Ever Ready 1924 Shovel head that is similar but not as easy to load. Even though the pressure the cap exerts on the blade is nice, it does make it a little tricky to open and close compared to my other Gem and Ever Ready razors. I wouldn’t want to get my finger caught in it when closing the cap for sure. I haven’t tried an AC type blade in it yet although it looks like it will fit ok.

It’s so easy to shave with it too.

Just put the cap against your cheek and you are in business. It has the right angle dial in from the very beginning so that you don’t have to hunt for the correct angle. It’s already done for you. A lite bit of pressure to no pressure at all is all you need.

By now you probably have figured out that I really like this razor.

This is a wonderful razor… but the blade is a different story.

To start with I had high hopes for the razor with the Gem SS PTFE blade. I have heard nothing but good things about the blade.

So here it is.

This was a two pass with clean up giving a face that is still burning and stinging.

I used Thai Alum block for the first time along with the special blend witch hazel I brewed up.
Then RazoRock the Freedburg for aftershave.
At least I smell good and still like the razor but not so much the blade.
I might have to tote the Badger out to take a whiff to remind myself why I do this.
I have a serious problem I know.
Please don’t judge…

The shave I ended up with was what I think was a DFS if my face would quit burning.
Let me throw in that I shave in the shower and enjoy shaving this way.
I’ve been thinking of doing an” Old Man Shaving in the Shower” YouTube segment. I guess if I really get serious I could buy an old GoPro Hero3.
Still I’m tempted to join the “Cold Water Shavers Club” every now and again.

Now to the blade, it’s a Gem SS PTFE coated razor blade. Like I said before, I have heard nothing but great things about this blade so as such, I was expecting great things.
Up till now I have used nothing but Kai Best Carbon and Feather FHS-10 blades and love both of them. So even after shaving 10 times with the Kai Best Carbon blade in my Valet VC-1, I still prefer it over the Gem blade in this razor with no shaves on it. Even though the Kai does pull more than the Gem; it seems to be more efficient. I know that I could spine a AC type blade but was hoping that I would not have to go through that.

I find that this razor is so much easier to load then my Valet VC-1 that I am going to continue to give this a shot of working out. Maybe the blades are bad or old or something. I bought them from Amazon a couple of months ago in anticipation of getting this beautiful razor. Did I mention that I really like this razor? I just bought over twenty blades thinking that it would work as well as the AC blades if not better along with another Gem Junior 1912 razor. I am going to try the blade again for my next shave in a couple of days. I usually wait about three days for my beard to grow back in enough to have something for my razor to cut.

I am thinking that it should get better. Also I’m going to strop it twenty times both ways this time. I’m sure it will be a help. I strop all my other blades with great results. I have a couple of Gem razors to try out that only like the Gem blades meaning I’d have to spine an AC blade for them if the regular Gems don’t work.
It would be a lot better and cheaper if the Gems work out for me.

After trying it out a couple of times I’ll come back and let everyone know how it turns out.
Ron

IMG_3015.JPG

Last edited:
The 1914 is nice, congrats!

The GEM blade is extremely sharp and takes a light touch! Carbon blades are easier on the skin for those who need that.

The 1914 is nice, congrats!

Thanks rabidus
Actually you are the reason why I decided to get a 1914.
I also got a MMOC on your recommendation.
It's next in the try out rotation.
I doubt that I get to all my DE razors and blades until next year some time as I'm now enjoying the SE razors that I really don't even have the desire to.
Now I have been bitten some what by the Focus R48 Dynamic SE Razor.
It is a SE that uses half of any DE blade you would like to use.
I talked to Paul about the razor and was going to buy one but they were out of the color I wanted so I will have to wait until some time when they get in a new batch with more colors in around October or November.
Probably a good call on my part.

I tried a AC blade in MMOC for fit and found that without it being splined, would not work which is the reason I broke out the Gem SS PTFE blades.
And of course the blades too were because you and others spoke so highly of them.
That's the reason for so many queries about the razors and blades.
And while I really like the looks of the Streamline, I figured that I would go this route first before I jump over the cliff after that one.
Anyway I figure that with so many people liking the Gem blades that there must be something wrong with the batch ... or heavens me. This blade thing has put a hitch in my giddy up.
I have plans for a older and more eloquent Kampfe type razor but until I work out the blade problem that is on hold.:c17:

The FHS, FAS, and BEST Valet style blades doesn't fit the MMOC because they lack the two side cutouts mid blade.

Rite Aid and CVS have carbon blades if you want to try them, they rust fast if you don't dry them after the shave. Walgreen's has SS.

Make sure you are shallow enough. Lower the handle until you hear feedback. Don't try and feel the blade!

I think the GEM PTFE blade is a lot better than the Feather blades you use in your Valet.

I strop the GEM PTFE blade on my palm 11 times on each edge prior to the first shave. I don't know if it makes a difference, but they are smooth from the start.

Like rabidus said, light touch. It sounds like you are already using a shallow angle.

Don't try and feel the blade!
Yep Like I said "or me".
I'm not sure I did it like that but I will be more conscious of it for my next shave when I give it another shot.
I was thinking that I was ridding the cap correctly most of the time but maybe not.
I know this razor seem for me very easy to find that point but maybe I opened it up too much.
It has to be my technique or bad blades.
I know it's definitely not this gorgeous razor.
I think you said something about a medical supply house where I could get a hundred of them cheaply.
If this works out then I will sell all my other razors and go the Gem way.
I still like my Valet VC-1 and being able to strop it so easily.
Just not loading unloading the blade so I would be willing to let them go because of the price difference of the blades.
Didn't you say you don't do anything to the blades including stropping other than wiping them down?

I tried a AC blade in MMOC for fit and found that without it being splined, would not work which is the reason I broke out the Gem SS PTFE blades.
:c17:
The Feather AC blades are way too long . Try the Schick injector blade. It is a perfect fit for a MMOC. For my MMOC, I have used exclusively injector blades since I got it over a year ago. I just did a test fit and the injector blades work well in the long blade stop 1914 (which you have). That snapping head is good for something after all and that is to secure the back side of the injector blade. I have not shaved with it yet, but you could try.
DSC01333.JPG

I strop the GEM PTFE blade on my palm 11 times on each edge prior to the first shave.

I usually strop all my blades.
I got into that practice when I was using the DE's.
I found that if I stropped them first on the leg of a pair of my old blue jeans, I had a very nice shave.
Other wise the out come was not as harmonious as I would like.
The thing is I got lazy.
It is so easy to strop the AC blades on my VC-1 that I just thought what the hay it will be ok.
I really think for me that is one answer.
My face still stings so I might have to give it an extra day to heal up.

It is a perfect fit for a MMOC.

Wow now that is amazing.
I have a couple of Schick injectors [an E and a G] that are waiting for me to try out again.
The first time did not turn out so well as I drop the razor in the shower and messed it up.
Not having glasses I thought the razor was OK.
Boy was I wrong.
I tried it out one more time with a razor that a friend piffed me with better results but nothing to write home about.
Then some one told me about the baby chic blades from Japan so I have it in the back of my mind to give them a shot again after I have gone through all my other SE's.
The problem is the cost of the blades.
The first time I tried a SE razor was a Gem 1912 with a Feather FHS-10 left over from my OB Core V1 fiasco. I was sold. Well except for the cost of the blades which is the same spot I'm in right now.
I'm going to have to try one of my injector blades in my MMOC vs a Gem blade.
Should be interesting.
Anyway I'm still holding out for a more harmonious out come.

Didn't you say you don't do anything to the blades including stropping other than wiping them down?

I just pop the blade in and go to town!

For prep, I wash my face and head with fragrance free liquid Neutrogena face soap while in the shower. When I get out I apply my homemade preshave oil mostly to my face, remaining residue on my head. I super lather with VDH Deluxe and Aveeno Therapeutic shave gel. Adidas AS splash on my face and then Nivea post shave balm maximum hydration on my face and head. I go over areas many times without relathering thinking I'm going to draw blood or get razor burn, but it never happens. I switched to the Aveeno a couple if months ago and believe it really helps.

It takes many strokes to BBS my face and head, I typically only apply lather twice. When I say BBS, there's not a hair out of place.

I get very little sting from the Adidas AS. If I went for DFS, I wouldn't get any sting at all.

When I used my 1912(little beast), for the first time I wasn't prepared for the sting that awaited me. My face was on fire. But since then, I adjusted and lightened my touch even more than with the MMOC and I don't get that sting anymore.

I just pop the blade in and go to town!

I meant you just wipe them down after you shave if you use them again or did I see you only use them one time on a head shave because it's tougher shaving your head?

I thought that the Feather FHS-10 blades were AC blades.
I do have the longer Feather blades that I use in my RR Hawk and my El Jefe razors but they are stored along with the razors to the end of the year when I decide what is to stay and what is to go.
I'm still looking for the best and cheapest shave I can get.
That is why I brought up the Focus razor even though it is a bastard child of both the SE and DE world. Oh and the guy's name is Jared and not Paul.
Having a senior moment.

Last edited:
I take the blade out and rinse off any hair and put it back in the razor. I flip the blade over daily. I get 3-4 daily face and head shaves. I would get a lot more face only.

Artist Club(AC) blades are basically long injector blades.

The Feather FHS, FAS, and BEST are Valet style blades.

Thanks for clearing that up rabidus.
You seem to have a lot of knowledge on these thing which is why I follow what you say.
I guess I like the shorter blades.
I won't make a clear decision until after I try one of everything....

The Feather AC blades are way too long . Try the Schick injector blade. It is a perfect fit for a MMOC. For my MMOC, I have used exclusively injector blades since I got it over a year ago. I just did a test fit and the injector blades work well in the long blade stop 1914 (which you have). That snapping head is good for something after all and that is to secure the back side of the injector blade. I have not shaved with it yet, but you could try.
View attachment 811515
Could a Twin blade work?

Top Bottom