What's new

My experience with St. Johns West Indian Lime After Shave

I'm a big fan of lime aftershaves, especially in the summer. Royall Lyme, Captain's Choice Lime, Pinaud Lime Sec, and Stirling Lime are all in my summer rotation. This summer I thought that I would add St. Johns West Indian Lime After Shave to the rotation.

The price is $50, about double what I would pay for a decent aftershave. Given the premium price I had high expectations for this stuff. The bottle is beautiful; very classy and a definite summer/tropical island vibe. Glass bottle covered in woven palm fronds and a flow restrictor built in. The bottle is certainly a winner.

The scent is awesome. A natural lime with other citrus notes (bergamot?) which dries down with a hint of vetiver. It's a definite summer scent that does not overpower. It's a gentleman scent for casual or business wear.

The face feel is very nice. It has a decent alcohol sting but not a "burn". It addresses any razor burn fairly well. There are no "face friendly" ingredients listed on the label like glycerin or castor oil. In this regard it is similar to the Fine Accoutrements line of after shaves: water, alcohol and fragrance. There's no menthol in the St. Johns.

And now for the disappointment: the fragrance doesn't last. At all. To my nose it is pretty much gone within an hour or two. Now, there are a number of aftershaves like this which some actually prefer because they don't want anything to clash with their cologne. Or some prefer to not have any scent projecting at all. However, to me there should be some decent longevity here given the price. In any event, I acknowledged that this is an after shave and therefore may be justifiably short lived as far as the scent. So I spent another $50 and bought the matching cologne to get some more longevity out of this awesome scent. And guess what ...?

The scent of the cologne is equally weak. An absolute disappointment. It has no difference in strength as compared to the after shave, at least to my nose. I literally splash this stuff on after splashing a healthy handful of the after shave and the scent is nothing but a memory by the time I get to the office. Not what I expected after shelling out $100. Granted, every lime scented after shave that I've used is relatively short lived compared to other scents. But at least Royall and Captain's Choice will linger into the afternoon. And their price tag is not as painful. For the price, St. Johns is a huge disappointment in this regard.

Thanks for the review.
I, too, like lime aftershave, and find that the reviews on most such face food are the same (i.e. the fragrance doesn't last). You'd think something selling for $50 a bottle would be better in this regard - apparently not.

Guess I need to get more Avon Island Lime while it's available.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks for the review.

Can't think of a single citrus with "legs" ... I add glycerin to 4711 (and Florida Water) to get a little more hang time.

AA

Geo. F. Trumper West Indian Lime aftershave (the splash not the facefood) has the best citrus lasting power of any I've tried. I don't see a lot of talk about it, probably because it is expensive. I've almost finished a bottle this summer, and I will use it next summer if I go citrusy again. But beware, there is a strong burn which I've come to appreciate and enjoy.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
And now for the disappointment: the fragrance doesn't last. At all. To my nose it is pretty much gone within an hour or two.

If you can get any brand of lime aftershave to last an hour or two? That's pretty impressive in my experience.

Same goes for any brand of Bay Rum. There is a reason there are not any straight Lime scented Edt's out there. The only one I know of, is a Unisex EdT called Limes by Floris. And it's biggest complaint from people who purchase it, is the scent only lasts 5-10 minutes.

Soap scents are meant to be fleeting so you can wear aftershave. They are not meant to have the longevity of an aftershave. And while you can find some pretty strong aftershaves, they are not meant to be EdT's. I'm thinking, for a manufacturer, to create a lime aftershave to have any kind of decent longevity, the percentages of of extrscts or scented oils would have to be so strong, it would irritate or burn, most skin it was applied to.

The intersection of "citrus-scented" and "long-lasting" is an empty set. Citrus-scented colognes and aftershaves that have staying power have other notes to them and it is these notes, not the citrus ones, that last. (It's the same story with lavender: the purer the lavender scent, the more fleeting.)

I was more than willing to accept that a lime-scented aftershave was short lived. It's the nature of these beasts. What I found a bit disappointing was the "cologne", which was equally fleeting. The price tag plus the designation as a cologne certainly raised my expectations, which were perhaps unreasonable and clearly not met.

Chalk this up to a learning experience.

Lime is naturally fleeting. It hard to get that scent to last long no matter what you do.

Here are the limes I've tried, both modern and vintage:

Aqua Velva Frost Lime
Avon Island Lime
Booster Iced Lime
Bootlegger's Arctic Lime
Captain's Choice Lime
Citrocol
English Leather Lime
Old Spice Lime
Pinaud Citrus Musk
Pinaud Lime Sec
Royall Lyme
Skin Bracer Dry Lime

My favorite, by far, in regards to scent and longevity is Avon's Island Lime. It's vintage, but Avon is still all over the place. You'll pay a bit for it on eBay, but if you can find it in the wild you can really get a good deal. I just paid $3 for a bottle a couple weeks ago.

My second favorite in terms of scent is Citrocol Lime by St. Lucia Bay Rum Co. Longevity is about as good as you can expect.

Pinuad's Citrus Musk is a very close 3rd.

Wonderful review! And some very valid criticisms IMO.

I especially appreciate the balanced comparison with similar products!

Top Bottom