What's new

My clay pipes. Pic heavy.

Clay pipes from the 'bay. The claw had a broken stem, so I made an adapter and "stem"(?) from an old cutting board. I cut, drilled, sanded, shaped, stained and sprayed the stem and adapter with shellac.
The figural man's head was broken on the underside of where the stem is inserted. I made a piece from oven cured hobby clay, put the reed stem in, placed the newly fashioned piece on with epoxy to hold the stem in place, wrapped it with a brown jute, glued the end of the jute in place and used a spray shellac on most of the entire pipe. Both smoke well and are a real please just to look at in the rack. None of my repairs or materials are placed in such a way as to not be toxic to the smoker(me):biggrin1:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
lets shave him,...

Cool looking pips,.. love the stems and wrapping,... man pipe stuffs have some really interesting art out there

are most all clay pipes, specially vintage ones, smaller compared to the wooden ones ?, i have a couple of clays around here i play with in the car during lunch time that seem to be about the same in scale but its touch to see without reference

Yes, they are alot smaller. I showed one of my clay pipes to a sixties ex hippy girl and she said that's the perfect size.:biggrin1: What ever that means............

means she does not care about ghosting her pipes lol, i have to hide my little guys when friends come over,.. i dont like the smell not sure i would like the taste (im totally sure i dont like the taste)

are most all clay pipes, specially vintage ones, smaller compared to the wooden ones ?, i have a couple of clays around here i play with in the car during lunch time that seem to be about the same in scale but its touch to see without reference
I love smoking my clay pipe in my car too, it is the perfect size to hold while driving and when I need to put it down I have a cup holder that it fits in without spilling any ash or tobacco. Also if anything happens to it, I can pick up another one!

question...does the clay material burn hotter and heat the tobacco hotter than a "standard run of the mill" pipe...whatever that means....:biggrin1:

Because the walls of the bowl are thinner the clay isn't as good a insulator as wooden pipes, so a smoker will have to hold it by the stem.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yes, they are alot smaller. I showed one of my clay pipes to a sixties ex hippy girl and she said that's the perfect size.:biggrin1: What ever that means............

I can see that. I know they are good when you want a five minute smoke. It is good for the transitioning cigarette smoker.

a fully packed bowl with my clay will last 30-45 minutes, if I do a half pack it will be 15-20 minutes. Which sometimes is all a guy needs during a coffee break or inbetween PT exercises with a lady ;)

Where did you pick those?
AlL I can find around here are wood pipes (some made from local wood).
It is safe to look for those on ebay?

Yes, ebay is fine. That's where mine came from. I just had to put some work and creativity into it. I didn't have a clue what I was doing.

Jim

Where did you pick those?
AlL I can find around here are wood pipes (some made from local wood).
It is safe to look for those on ebay?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
a fully packed bowl with my clay will last 30-45 minutes, if I do a half pack it will be 15-20 minutes. Which sometimes is all a guy needs during a coffee break or inbetween PT exercises with a lady ;)
Must be a big clay.

Top Bottom