What's new

MWF dries my face - am I doing something wrong?

I posted this in the the IK vs. MWF thread, but I figured if I actually want some opinions I should start a new thread. So here it is.

Every time I use MWF, it leaves my face feeling really dry. The shave isn't bad - it's slick and protective - so I don't think I'm having lather problems, but my face ends up feeling dried out afterward. Any thoughts on what could be going on?

Thanks in advance guys (and girls)!! :thumbup1:

I kinda get the same result as you, John, so I'd like to know if there's an answer to what I'm doing wrong......do you face lather or bowl lather ? I face lather MWF, but I was thinking of trying a bowl lather MWF shave to see if I got the same drying sensation after the shave....maybe my face lathering just isn't giving me the best/most moisturizing lather.....just a thought.........

I face lather with MWF and one of the strong points of this soap is the lanolin and the moisturizing effect this soap has, so for me it is quite the opposite.

I was experiencing the same drying feeling with MWF until , as posted on other threads, I changed my brush to a Colonel X2L. I'm guessing the stiffer brush loaded more soap so that the full benefit of the lanolin could be had. Only an opinion but someone might be able to confirm or dismiss this theory.

David

Last edited:
Give this a try:

1. Run the brush under the tap and shake out most of the water, do not soak.
2. Rub the brush over the soap using just the tips, not a lot of pressure between 30 and 60 seconds.
3. Make sure your face is really wet and then quickly dunk the loaded brush into a bowl or sink of water.
4. Start to face lather with just the tips of the brush.
5. Spend several minutes lathering adding water as you go.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Gogo... I'm gonna give your method a try tomorrow morning and will report back with results (I forgot to subscribe to the thread, so I'm just now seeing the response - oops)

Edited to add: any other thoughts on this? I've face and bowl lathered at times to see if this would make a difference. So far, it hasn't. Thanks!

Last edited:
Give this a try:

1. Run the brush under the tap and shake out most of the water, do not soak.
2. Rub the brush over the soap using just the tips, not a lot of pressure between 30 and 60 seconds.
3. Make sure your face is really wet and then quickly dunk the loaded brush into a bowl or sink of water.
4. Start to face lather with just the tips of the brush.
5. Spend several minutes lathering adding water as you go.

I hope this helps.

This is what I do!! :thumbup:

pretty strange..it is very moisturizing to me. I love to finish the MWF shave with Thayers Rose Toner (Witch Hazel) and it greatly increases the face conditioning.

It is one of the most moisturizing soaps out there (as others have already eluded too)

Questions:

1. Do you top off your soap with warm water before loading brush?
  2. How long have you had your soap and if (1) applies, then safe to assume you've been doing that as long?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I pretty much hate using MWF, but I'll be the first to admit that it leaves my face feeling great.

Hey, if it don't work for you it don't work for you. Even if everyone else loves it, if it doesn't work for you just sell it, there's no shame in that.

It is one of the most moisturizing soaps out there (as others have already eluded too)

Questions:

1. Do you top off your soap with warm water before loading brush?
  2. How long have you had your soap and if (1) applies, then safe to assume you've been doing that as long?
1. Yes, while I'm in the shower.
2. I've had it for a couple of months. I'd say I've used it ~10 times or so. It's starting to crack (which I hear it does after a handful of uses).

Go West Young Man said:
Hey, if it don't work for you it don't work for you. Even if everyone else loves it, if it doesn't work for you just sell it, there's no shame in that.

It was actually PIF'd to me. So if I can't get a better post-shave feeling after all this advice, there will be a MWF w/ ceramic bowl PIF coming soon...

Last edited:
Have you ever used any other lanolin products? A dry feeling could be caused by a mild allergic reaction, I suppose.

2. I've had it for a couple of months. I'd say I've used it ~10 times or so. It's starting to crack (which I hear it does after a handful of uses).

It was actually PIF'd to me. So if I can't get a better post-shave feeling after all this advice, there will be a MWF w/ ceramic bowl PIF coming soon...

Dibs :thumbup1:

I think that leaving water on top of soaps in general is not a good idea...the reason is simple chemistry: with all the different ingredients and fats, some are more soluble than others in water and over time, you will end up having an "uneven" composition of matter in your soap. Lanolin (a mix of different fats) does melts above ~38ºC and some of the fatty acids will end up dissolving in water...a little every time you leave water on top and pretty soon, you lose what you started out with.

I always use a moist (not wet) brush and load my brush that way. More even "ingredient" wear, if you want to call it. I have also had MWF for a couple of months with occasional use, but haven;t had a crack in it yet.

But, in your case, I am not sure how much 10 uses will change the composition.

My 2 cents :thumbup1:

Are you lathering MWF with hot water? Using cold to tepid water will give you better results.

My MWF cracked when I left is constantly open, and didn't cover it. I believe that makes the difference.
I no longer soak my MWF, especially in hot water.

I lather on puck, cold water, happy face and very moisturized feeling when I'm done.
The trick I've found to lathering is to whip the tips of the brush against the lather and not grind the brush into the puck.

Top Bottom