What's new

"Must try" colognes.

I've tried all of the Penhaligon, Trumper, and Truefitt and Hill scents, the most popular Floris scents, Creed Green Irish Tweed, and C&S #88. What should I get next?

What are the remaining "must try" scents I need to add to my collection?

Thanks for any and all opinions!

I would browse through the Top 5 Colognes thread. I did not see Acqua di Parma in your list - I would try that.

Dennis

S

Sam

Well, to try, you need to try some from the following:

Lorenzo Villoresi (Piper Nigrum is highly regarded)
Serge Lutens (Chergui and my fav, Fumerie Turque are just two)
MPG
L'Artisan Perfumers (Some guys love Voleur de Roses, I dont)

Websites to check out:

www.basenotes.net
aedes
luckyscent

Sam

Mike,

It sounds like you have hit some of the major scent houses, but there are gems to be had among the lesser known (and often less expensive) places. I would look hard at the L'Occitane scents, which are uniformly excellent, as well as a few of the inexpensive Taylor colognes like Mr. Taylor and St. James.

I have a bunch of other samples and decants of stuff at home, but these are the ones (aside from the LP#9) usually in my general rotation. I'm still playing with the others so as LeisureGuy would write: YMMV. :)

Diptyque - "Tam Dao" : Awesome, long lasting sandalwood. Great after a QED Sandalwood shave.

Penhaligon's - "Opus 1870" : Warm black pepper, clove and some other stuff along with some woodsy notes (pine, etc). I enjoy this one as the sillage pops throughout the door to my nose and it lasts awhile. This scent changes form during the day and I've gotten compliments on it.

Yves Saint Laurent - "M7" : This one can be tricky according to what I have read. On my skin though, it is a winner.

Realm Fragrances - "Realm" : The pheremone thing is bunk, but I like this one a lot and it's pretty cheap.

Dolce & Gabbana - "Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme" : A citrus scent but much more smokier than the Realm. I have been having fun (and getting compliments) on this one during the fall so far.

Check out basenotes.net if you want to browse their directory or post something on their forums. The members are great and the decants I have gotten from Scentemental have been phenominal in terms of price and customer service.

My bottle of Tam Dao arrives today. Can't wait to try it, and of course there will be decants available.

You've taken the same course as me so far.

I've branched out and started sampling the other fragrance houses and have found that they are some of my favorites now.

I recommend trying these houses:

Hermes ("Er-mez")
L'Artisian
L'Occitane
Frederic Malle
Divine
Jean Pascal
Amouge

Check Basenotes.com for decants in the For Sale forum.

-joedy

I would recommend the following houses:

Guerlain
Hermes
Annick Goutal
Pecksniffs
Harris Miller

Everyone else makes good recommendations.

Joedy said:
You've taken the same course as me so far.

I've branched out and started sampling the other fragrance houses and have found that they are some of my favorites now.

I recommend trying these houses:

Hermes ("Er-mez")
L'Artisian
L'Occitane
Frederic Malle
Divine
Jean Pascal
Amouge

Check Basenotes.com for decants in the For Sale forum.

-joedy
Let's hear some reviews, by golly!

I've tried quite a few new fragrances lately. The following are transcendent:

- No. 88 by Czech & Speake
- Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur
- Sequoia by Comme des Garcons
- Kyoto by Comme des Garcons

I should add that while all of these are incredible to me, they are highly unusual and fairly expensive. Buying blind would not be recommended.

I remember splashing some cologne on one day and all the girls at work were saying....wow you smell soooo gooood what is that you are wearing? When I told them that it was Brut, they up an ran away and I did not hear a word from them the rest of the day. Its ridiculous!!!! Heck in High School I would wear some mosquito repellant that smelled good and every girl at the place was like.....I love your Drakkar!!!! I just smiled. As long as the girls don't know what you paid they will like the cheaper stuff even better than the $100/ounce stuff. Just tell them its some obscure cologne a friend picked up for you on a trip to Europe or something.

For me

Creed Himalaya for going out; Paco Rabonne XS for school
Creed Original Santal for situations where you'll be close to someone else
Gucci Envy- similar to the Original Santal in when I'd wear it, but its a bit more of a formal scent for me, not necessarily jeans and t-shirt
Floris Santal- good business suit scent
Creed GIT- when I have to give presentations

L'Eau D'Issey Bleue- I really like this one, but its pretty strong, with high sillage
Jaipur pour homme by Boucheron
Penahligon's Endymion

I didn't like Creed MI

Scotto said:
My bottle of Tam Dao arrives today. Can't wait to try it, and of course there will be decants available.

Scotto,

As a heads up, the Tam Dao smells a bit medicinal for the first 20 minutes or so (on my skin) and then explodes into the sandalwood note once the alcohol evaporates.

I would try some offerings by Bond No. 9 New York. Call them and they will send you a sampler for $3. Their scents are quite expensive but can be had on e-bay for far less. Their colognes have excellent staying power and I have yet to find a scent of theirs that I didn't like.

Thanks very much for the recommendations gents! I certainly have some great ideas about what to try next. i hope this thread help some others figure out what to try as well.

I'm gonna be the wild card..... Castle Forbes. They are not spoken of often - but their colognes are highly original, and quite interesting!

I remember splashing some cologne on one day and all the girls at work were saying....wow you smell soooo gooood what is that you are wearing? When I told them that it was Brut, they up an ran away and I did not hear a word from them the rest of the day. Its ridiculous!!!! Heck in High School I would wear some mosquito repellant that smelled good and every girl at the place was like.....I love your Drakkar!!!! I just smiled. As long as the girls don't know what you paid they will like the cheaper stuff even better than the $100/ounce stuff. Just tell them its some obscure cologne a friend picked up for you on a trip to Europe or something.

When did you splashed the Brut on? Recently?

And how old were those girls?
(That reminds me of a recent thread, "Yesterday's stars = today's jokes?"; some members mentioned some blind testing with old stuff)

Top Bottom