What's new

"Must try" colognes.

In no particular order:

Yatagan (Caron)[this scent is picked on alot but is actually very very good and original and long lasting-very woodsy, spicy and masculine]

Knize Ten (Knize)[this scent is considered one of men's colognes finest masterpieces. You can use it for months and still discover a new facet of complexity to it- it is a leathery scent that most folks would say smells like incense. It is not as strong and overwhelming (except for the first 20 minutes) as people say]

Ambre Sultan (Serge Lutens) [A bit pricy until you realize the utility you can get from it. Most colognes need 3-6 sprays. With SL you need just one! This scent can actually last days (if you didn't shower), It is simple and crisp and will remind you of a fine woodshop]

Tam Dau (Diptique) [the best sandalwood scent out there IMHO. After the initial drydown it could fool a blinded woodworker that you are holding up a bare strip of sandwood to his/her nose. Its simplicity is what makes it so good and unique.

Devin (Aramis) [a very masculine and long lasting woody scent that has always IMHO been missed by so many]

With all of these scents you get uniqueness (you would be hard pressed to find another wearing it) and longevity (the mark of a fine cologne)

edited to add PS: I would highly recommend getting a decant or sample vial of any cologne before investing. I have ended up giving away very highly acclaimed colognes that either I or my wife couldn't stand; i.e; Vetiver (Guerlain), Mr. Taylor' s, Arlington, #74 Victorian Limes, Polo Green

After going through the B&B sampler pack, my wife has said it no longer makes any sense for us to live in a house without any T&H Spanish Leather in it. . . . and I like the scent as well.

If you guys like Amber Sultan give SL Douce Amere a go. It's one of my favs. I really want to get a sample of their Boreno soon. It's a bit hard to find though.

The only two houses that have consitently impresed me are Guerlain and Yves Saint Laurent. This last one also has very nice prices.
People seem to coincide that you should try sandlwood, vetiver, tobacco and all those notes shared by most of the fragrances recommended.
But I'd tell you to try a female perfume from either Guerlain or YSL.
Perhaps a couple of chanels would also be good, 5, Coco, or 19.
Try some tea based colognes: tea for two, yang, Silver Mountain Water. Something sweet like Rochas, Angel, Bulgari Black.
Try something from Commes des Garcons from the sinthetic series.
Le Labo Patchouli and rose.
Grey Flannel.
John Varvatos.
Dior Homme.
Burberry is good too.

Just a few suggestions based on the way I categorize my scents:

Fresh, Any season: Gendarme 20, like the original but lasts longer. So fresh, so clean, with a pristine lavender note. When you don't want to smell "cologney", just nice.

Aquatic, summer/tropical: Creed Erolfa, I know aquatics get dissed a lot but this is a great frag, more rugged than, say, MI or GIT. Extremely crisp with dry citrus and sea salt notes. I live in New England so this gets ample use in the summertime.

Vetiver: Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire, if you like vetiver at all, I can't imagine not liking this. Earthy and dry, yet fresh at the same time. It is edp strength and supposedly contains the highest concentration of vetiver in any perfume. Extraordinary longevity.

Sandalwood: Diptyque Tam Dao, I just picked up a bottle of this so can't comment, but I know it is held in high regard by a great many.

Spicy Oriental, Winter: Floris Santal
, warm, woodsy, sophisticated. Black pepper, clove, patchouli, and oakmoss. One of my favorite cold-weather scents.

These two are my favourites, Molton Brown black pepper & Amouage reflection,both very nice but a bit pricey.

The following Creeds are usually overlooked, and are arguably some of their best:

Selection Verte, Acier Aluminium, Ambre Canelle, Vintage Tabarome, 1948 Vetiver.

YSL Rive Gauche PH is a nice retro-barbershop scent, which is often overlooked on the shaving forums because YSL is dismissed by some as 'designer' or 'dept store'. It's said to be very similar to T&H Grafton.

Terre D'Hermes is an offbeat mix of citrus and flint, and is probably the modern equivalent of the gentleman's classic citrus.

I think that since trying Montale perfumes (yes, they are all parfum strength), I have become hooked on them. I now have 4 bottles and love every one of them, especially the Aouds. They are really silage monsters and therefore most suitable for winter, probably, but I am keen to try them out in summer too.

My favourite is the Black Aoud, but also I enjoy White Aoud, Red Aoud, Aoud lime and Attar. The only downside is that now I look at many of my other colognes as mere 'weaklings' in comparison. For those who find that no-one really notices their cologne, I am sure that two sprays of Black Aoud are enough to ensure that EVERYone with a functioning nose will notice it. They are so different to mainstream fragrance that you will be asked about it always.

I had a young lady ask me about the gorgeous smell and I told her it was Black Aoud. She asked where I bought it from and I told her I ordered it from Paris and that really made her eyes light up!

I feel that anyone with an interest in fragrance should try at least one of the Montale Aouds (especially Black) just for the experience. Actually, because of the strength, the 1ml sample I bought served me well for many uses till I bought the 100ml.

I think that since trying Montale perfumes (yes, they are all parfum strength), I have become hooked on them. I now have 4 bottles and love every one of them, especially the Aouds. They are really silage monsters and therefore most suitable for winter, probably, but I am keen to try them out in summer too.

My favourite is the Black Aoud, but also I enjoy White Aoud, Red Aoud, Aoud lime and Attar. The only downside is that now I look at many of my other colognes as mere 'weaklings' in comparison. For those who find that no-one really notices their cologne, I am sure that two sprays of Black Aoud are enough to ensure that EVERYone with a functioning nose will notice it. They are so different to mainstream fragrance that you will be asked about it always.

I had a young lady ask me about the gorgeous smell and I told her it was Black Aoud. She asked where I bought it from and I told her I ordered it from Paris and that really made her eyes light up!

I feel that anyone with an interest in fragrance should try at least one of the Montale Aouds (especially Black) just for the experience. Actually, because of the strength, the 1ml sample I bought served me well for many uses till I bought the 100ml.

a big +1 on montale

i received a sample of a couple of montale aouds and instantly fell for them. i usually really dont like dabber sample vials since i have a hard time getting enough on to really sample it. with these aouds i actually prefer the dabber since they are so potent. like prince stated, a sample vial will last quite a while so they are actually fairly inexpensive to try out. the perfumed court has little sample for sale.

the aoud scent is so unique, the first time i opened a sample vial i had the cat flehmen response (you know the one where they open their mouth and have a dreamy look in their eyes).

black aoud and aoud lime are my two favorites currently.

cheers,
ryan

For Valentine's Day, I bought my wife a bottle of Jicky by Guerlain.
I read on Basenotes that it can also be worn by men, so I gave it a go
yesterday, and again today. It's frigging awesome. There will always
be a bottle of this juice chez Bricktop!

Ii need to throw 1 in the oven. i must say im not a expert.
chanel allure sport
it is the base notes that do it.
whilst taking my shirt off after 10 hours i realised,this is totally unique,manly.scent.a slight whiff of musk.i got into bed after my night shift and WOW.the wife said.why you smelling so good.where have you been.this says everything to me:w00t:.by the way id been grafting at work :frown:

Top Bottom