What's new

Mushroom hunting

Has anyone here ever gathered and eaten young fern sprouts? Supposed to taste like asparagus. I have TONS here in Spring, have just never done taken the opportunity.
Fiddleheads. I purchased some from our local grocery one year. They were very good, but they need to be cooked shortly after purchase as they don't store well. They are also a bit expensive to purchase. I would get them in the back woods if I knew what I was looking for, as I don't know if all young ferns taste good when cooked or just a certain variety.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Fiddleheads. I purchased some from our local grocery one year. They were very good, but they need to be cooked shortly after purchase as they don't store well. They are also a bit expensive to purchase. I would get them in the back woods if I knew what I was looking for, as I don't know if all young ferns taste good when cooked or just a certain variety.
One way for me to find out!

But I'll probably forget between now and next Spring!

Has anyone here ever gathered and eaten young fern sprouts? Supposed to taste like asparagus. I have TONS here in Spring, have just never done taken the opportunity.
They are quite good. I get them every year that i remember they are in season. But, like anything else, make sure you id them first. They have distinct characteristics to look for that i have to look up every year that i go looking for them.

Same. I've got some great looking boletes (porcini) but I'm positively IDing every single one.

Lemme give an example...Green Russula and Death Cap. To and for many, they have common identifying characteristics; although destroying angels are often mischaracterized as all white, they can also have off white or greenish caps (see amanita phalloides)

Never, ever even think of consuming something you can't identify. There are lots of lookalikes out there that are best avoided by anyone but experts.
Polyspore mushrooms seem to be easier to identify. That is how i started. I have an acquaintance who has been threatening to take me chantrelle hunting for years now. Unfortunately i think he might be bipolar, he is my best friend when i am giving him 5 lbs of oysters then the next day he doesn't even know me.

Polyspore mushrooms seem to be easier to identify. That is how i started. I have an acquaintance who has been threatening to take me chantrelle hunting for years now. Unfortunately i think he might be bipolar, he is my best friend when i am giving him 5 lbs of oysters then the next day he doesn't even know me.

I'm bipolar, myself, and that just sounds like being an opportunistic butt...nothing to do with bipolar disorder. Yes, polypores are a little easier. Few will make you actually sick outside of ones like Satan's bolete

FarmerTan

It is worth trying them out. They are really good, at least in my opinion.
I should have taken a picture of the fern that I just noted today in my front yard! Crazy how much the wild stuff has been creeping back in where I mow this year. Creation is groaning.

A Russula mushroom and a ginseng that I also happened to find.

DSCN1405b.jpg

DSCN1407b.jpg

Here in the Southern Tier of New York,
Honey Mushrooms go by the name "Popinki".
I've never met anyone who knew the name "Honey Mushroom".

Found a Popinki today.
I like to use this thread to record the dates of things like that.

Last week, I found Chanterelles, King Boletes and Black Trumpets.
Sometimes when drought suppresses mushrooms in their regular season,
a lot of rain will bring up a very small number of them
after their regular season.

FarmerTan

Found a Popinki today.
I like to use this thread to record the dates of things like that.

Last week, I found Chanterelles, King Boletes and Black Trumpets.
Sometimes when drought suppresses mushrooms in their regular season,
a lot of rain will bring up a very small number of them
after their regular season.
I didn't know that! Thanks for the info.

Today I picked some Black Trumpets and I bought some cream cheese with which
to mix them up.

Yesterday, I picked some Chanterelles which are in the fridge now
and those are for hamburgers on Wednesday.

I've seen lots of Chanterelles and I've seen lots of different mushrooms
growing in fairy rings, but this is the first time I've seen Chanterelles in fairy rings.
I planted these,
which is to say that I found them in one woods and scattered them in another.

DSCN1517b.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
With names like "Death Cap," and "Satan's (whatever)," going to continue to source mine at the grocery store ... not to mention the added fun risk of putting a psychotropic one in the spaghetti sauce. :lol: All we need is for the spaghetti to try and eat US ...

AA

With names like "Death Cap," and "Satan's (whatever)," going to continue to source mine at the grocery store ... not to mention the added fun risk of putting a psychotropic one in the spaghetti sauce. :lol: All we need is for the spaghetti to try and eat US ...

AA

One of the things that I like about picking wild mushrooms,
is that it is arcane,
kind of like straight razors.

FarmerTan

AA
You are either as smart as me, or just as big a chicken!

I do pick berries out in the woods and taste them. AND immediately spit 'em out and scrape my tongue with a twig just to be safe. THAT is the limit of my survival skills. When the Zombie Apocalypse hits I'll be one of first ones to have my brane eaten!

I eat a lot of wild plants. A friend of mine and his father had found some wild leeks
which was something that I had showed him.
There were some other plants growing near them and his father decided to try them.

By my eating many and various wild plants, I think I had given his father the impression
that as I traveled the woods, I was trying this and that and seeing how it went.
That's absolutely not what I do. I do a lot of research before I eat anything wild.

Anyway, his father ate about a third of a leaf of false hellebore, aka corn lily.
This is the most poisonous green green plant that I know of in this region.
It's not a taste bad makes you vomit poison.
It's a real heart targeting poison.
After about an hour or so
his blood pressure and heart rate dropped by half.
He had dry heaves and coughed so bad
that every time he convulsed, he went blind momentarily.
He was ok by the next day.

Teh enb

Top Bottom