What's new

Mushroom hunting

Not a hunter of them, but do keep my eyes open. This was found on my lawn a little over a week ago.

8B632318-6C10-424A-9B86-3DBF49AC1A4A.jpeg

It’s not grown much since, with cold nights and rain for the most part.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Not me. I like to eat mushrooms, and I like to walk in the woods, but for me the two don't mix. If you can put me on a big patch of morels, I'll be happy to pick them, but I don't want to go looking for them. If I go for a walk in the woods, I don't want to spend the whole time staring at the ground.

chanterelles here. bright yellow. 2 local deadlies are white. destroying angels and death caps. dont every do anything white.

have also gotten shaggy manes, angel wings, and bear tooth when with more experienced hunters.

All these morels are making me jealous. We usually get decent crops up here but this year they just didn't go. I have a degree in Mycology and I got my degree not for teaching or going into the field of work but for learning what I can and cannot eat culinary wise that is found wild in my area.

I was a keen picker of a few known varieties when I lived in NY and KY, but I haven't found anything edible since moving to Ireland. There's not a lot of forest here, what little there is seems to be mostly conifers, and almost all the mushrooms I've encountered walking through bogs have been pretty-but-inedible (lots of waxcaps) or toxic LBMs. Chicken of the Woods, if you can find it here, is potentially sick-making, growing on yew trees, so even the familiar, safe choices are a little dicey. I hold out hope for the springtime, though.

I pick all my mushrooms from the local Krogers. Those morels look like they would be easy to identify though. I guess too many years of reading stories of Southeast Asians - entire families sometimes - eating deathcaps.

-jim

A friend of mine was raised on a remote farm and did a lot of gathering. He was over at my home in central Illinois and we were on the subject of mushrooms since I had a patch growing in the lawn. He said that most mushrooms are edible, the bad ones are easy to spot and the ones on my lawn would be edible if I didn't treat my lawn with chemicals (which I do). Some day, when I have more time, I'll go a-hunting. Until then, it's Kroger for me as well.

Bumping this thread. I'm taking shrooming seriously this year. In fact, I'm currently in the process of growing some lion's mane and a couple others, although I'd love to find a lion's mane in the wild

Despite the cool weather the past couple days, SC has been rather warm, so it's that time. I have access to some really prime locations, but honestly haven't had much luck, so far; lots of turkey tail, false oyster, and mostly shelf fungi. And that damn alien-ish stinkhorn that grows everywhere here! Soon enough, I hopefully won't be buying shrooms in the store anymore...

You other shroomers out there? Where do you live and what do you collect or observe?

My dad is a big mushroom hunter and I have fond memories of going to the forest picking mushroom, some were cooked immediately the rest would be sliced and let in the attic to dry to be used later. If you know what you are doing it's a lot of fun, if not then yeah it could kill you.
Few years back we had a patient who ate some that he shouldn't have and ended up on the ventilator in the ICU. Family took a pic of it and brought it to the hospital. I emailed the pics to dad and 5 min later I got a call from the old man screaming, dont eat it.

Top Bottom