What's new

Musgo Real hard soap is the real thing

I've enjoyed using Musgo Real cream thanks to Bob's (beginish's) enthusiastic recommendation, and was pleased to learn that they are making a hard shaving soap with the same scent as the Classic cream.

I find that the Musgo Real cream is one of the slickest around, and it turns out that the soap is one of the slickest around, too--right up there with Tabac. Excellent!

The Classic scent is supposed to be vetiver, eucalyptus, and patchouli, but you couldn't prove it by me. I liked the scent of the cream, so I like the scent of the soap, too.

Lathering is easy, use plenty of water. It seems a little less thirsty than Tabac, but making it with sufficient water ensures slickness. It's got a nice post-shave face feel, too.

Since we seem to be inundated with Italian-style soft soaps, it's nice to see another hard soap option out there.

The price is right, too: WCS has it for $13 for a large puck that will probably last a long time.

Carry on, gents.

Last edited:
That's great to hear, Mark. Initial reviews of the soap were less than favorable, so I'm glad to hear it works well for you. I picked up a puck of this in the fall and will try it soon.

It's good to hear that the new formulation of the soap is good. I love the Musgo creams, so once the annual restraint is up I'll have to get a puck of the soap. Hopefully by then I've made some good progress 3017ing my soaps

I wonder if it's been reformulated. The soap was a considered a dud when first released and certainly I was not able to get good lather from it.

I think I read here about it being reformulated successfully. I didn't even know that they made a soap at the time.

Used it again this morning--I was not hallucinating, it's a superb soap. The scent may not appeal to everyone, but then, they never do.

No doubt they've improved the performance - it just went from universally bad reviews to good. I held off for years on this one because of the bad reviews but now have it and it is excellent. Especially the scent which is unlike anything else in my experience.

Loved the scent when I tried it back in 2013. It would lather but then it would just disappear. Glad to hear it's been improved. :thumbup1:

Below is the ingredient list from the 2013 version.
$IMG_20120810_111302_1.jpg

Here is the current ingredient list posted by member mc57.
$mgr.jpg

I bought a reformulated puck about half a year ago and it worked like a champ. I just might have to 3017 that puck after i'm done with my tub of Proraso Red.

Thanks for those ingredient lists, Chris.

And WoS_, I'm thinking that puck will last a while even if you Load It Like You Hate It™. :lol:

And WoS_, I'm thinking that puck will last a while even if you Load It Like You Hate It™. :lol:
Yeah, you just might be right there:laugh: I've only used it about 5-8 times until now. I'm about 1/5 through the proraso so maybe i'll get to it around when spring is here :thumbup:

Yes, I had seen the bad reviews but went ahead and bought it over a year ago. Could not believe people had trouble getting a very good lather from this soap on my first go with it. It's been a very good soap for me right from the start. I wondered at the time if people were trying to lather up the Musgo Real pre shave soap instead of the shave soap to get such a poor result.

Bob

I am so glad they reformulated this soap. Musgo Real shaving soap used to get terrible reviews, but I decided to take a chance and I got some new stock Maggard's had just received at the time, and I got a super thick lather from day one. I was even more surprised when I shaved with it, it turned out the be one of my favorite soaps in the den (I have a pretty good sized den by the way) the lather was that good. It seems to be a triple milled soap, very dense so it should last for many many shaves.

Used the Musgo Real puck again and it has made it in my top 5 of the den. That's saying a lot, the lather is superb and post shave is awesome. I love the classic Musgo scent as well, it's not identical to the cream, but pretty damn close.

Top Bottom