What's new

Murphy McNeil Naid

I picked up a tap of Murphy McNeil Naid soap, in their Black Friday sale. Let me start by saying I love the scent. It's light, but not too light. A nice fresh fruit and floral mix. Also, it supports an awesome cause.

I received it the other day, sniffed it happily and added it to my Den. This morning I took it out and sniffed it. I took a pinch of soap and lathered it in my palm. That's when I realized two things: 1: there was a lot of liquid on top of the soap (see picture) and 2: there is a grit to the soap... A solid substance in tiny specks. I didn't get to traditionally lather it, to see if these pieces dissolve, but I hope to this weekend.

My question... Is this normal or did I get a bad mix of soap? Thanks everyone, appreciate any info you can provide. [emoji846]
proxy.php

The Naid soap you purchased is based on the early tallow formula. That formula is not quite as good as the current Aon formula, but still an excellent soap. The sale price is designed to clear out remaining stock of the older soap formulation. I have several of the older tallow soaps.

As indicated by the post above, what you have observed may not be normal, but I doubt it will affect the performance of the soap. If it does, contact M&M.

Yep, that is definitely in the softer base, and shouldn't affect the performance. Bill at M&M is very responsive though, maybe shoot him an email and get his take. You may be able to swap it out for the new base if it is a concern. The newer Aon base is much firmer, and doesn't have the issues that the softer base did.

Thanks folks. I took your advice and emailed him to double check. Better safe than sorry. Lol.

The Naid soap you purchased is based on the early tallow formula. That formula is not quite as good as the current Aon formula, but still an excellent soap. The sale price is designed to clear out remaining stock of the older soap formulation. I have several of the older tallow soaps.

As indicated by the post above, what you have observed may not be normal, but I doubt it will affect the performance of the soap. If it does, contact M&M.

+2! Good advice! Personally, if the soap performs I would just enjoy it. If not, then contact M&M.

+2! Good advice! Personally, if the soap performs I would just enjoy it. If not, then contact M&M.
Thanks. I'll find out (if it performs) soon enough, as I haven't yet used it. I did reach out to them, and was assured it was safe to use. That makes me happy, because I plan to use it this weekend and really didn't want to delay. Lol.

This stuff smells awesome, in case I didn't say that already. [emoji16]

Excellent soap! I have a few of the initial soft base. The new base is done right. Trying to use this up so I can get the new base. Takes some work with the soft base. Greg B.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Excellent soap! I have a few of the initial soft base. The new base is done right. Trying to use this up so I can get the new base. Takes some work with the soft base. Greg B.

Tried the Naid the other night. It was good, slick and protective. A nice soap with a good smell.

I only wish I hadn't felt a few of the chunks in my shave, but other than that minor announce, it didn't seem to effect the shave.

I'll have to look to the new base, next time I order from M&M.

Tried the Naid the other night. It was good, slick and protective. A nice soap with a good smell.

I only wish I hadn't felt a few of the chunks in my shave, but other than that minor announce, it didn't seem to effect the shave.

I'll have to look to the new base, next time I order from M&M.
Tried it again, this time I really whipping the soap. I had high hopes I would be able to get rid of the bits. Unfortunately they seem to be undisolvable. This is an annoyance. I think I had more chunks this time, too. Ugh.

Emailed M&M about it. Not certain what else I can do to get this to work? Hopefully they have an answer. Otherwise, I'm going to have to toss this tub out. [emoji3525]

Tried it again, this time I really whipping the soap. I had high hopes I would be able to get rid of the bits. Unfortunately they seem to be undisolvable. This is an annoyance. I think I had more chunks this time, too. Ugh.

Emailed M&M about it. Not certain what else I can do to get this to work? Hopefully they have an answer. Otherwise, I'm going to have to toss this tub out. [emoji3525]

The lumps are unfortunate, but before you toss the tub, see if you can borrow a small strainer from the kitchen (something like a tea strainer). That soap formula is fairly soft, so you should be able to press the soap through the strainer. Hopefully, the lumps will either break up or be retained by the strainer and you will be left with a soap free from lumps.

The lumps are unfortunate, but before you toss the tub, see if you can borrow a small strainer from the kitchen (something like a tea strainer). That soap formula is fairly soft, so you should be able to press the soap through the strainer. Hopefully, the lumps will either break up or be retained by the strainer and you will be left with a soap free from lumps.
Interesting thought. The size and texture of them is more akin to something between poppy seeds and sesame seeds in size. I wonder if they'd be caught.

I got an email from M&M. I think they're going to replace it for me. It'll probably be expensive to return ship this tub, but I almost hope they shoot for the cost, just so they see what I'm referring to. It's really odd, IMO.

I love the scent of this stuff, but I just can't shave with it. Hope it works out.

Interesting thought. The size and texture of them is more akin to something between poppy seeds and sesame seeds in size. I wonder if they'd be caught.

I got an email from M&M. I think they're going to replace it for me. It'll probably be expensive to return ship this tub, but I almost hope they shoot for the cost, just so they see what I'm referring to. It's really odd, IMO.

I love the scent of this stuff, but I just can't shave with it. Hope it works out.

Just heard back from Bill. Naid is finally reached the new base. Awesome news. He's sending me the new scent as soon as it's labeled.

For anyone who is looking for a sweet, light (non-cloying?) floral... This is the soap. The scent is a perfect springtime choice. The sweetness is so pronounced, it keeps it from being feminine. Just a great choice / mix.

Last edited:
Old formula still great but a pain in the arse! New base excellent

The old base is pretty soft, so you need to be sure you do not overload your brush with soap. Otherwise, performance is excellent. The new base is firmer and loads more normally.

I have Bad Mohr in the older base. It's very soft. I took the lid off and let it sit for a few weeks and it firmed up some, but not a lot. Now I just use it and don't worry about it. The performance is great.

Murphy McNeil is off my list of future soaps. My first buy was a petri dish of microbal growth. Heard the excuses & got some samples of different scents. Unlike other soapmakers, they jack you for a pi$$y little stingy piece of soap. It seems that more effort goes into the cool-looking labels than into soap or a quality product. More money goes into postage. It's been a while & maybe things have changed, but it sounds like not.

When I bought mine it was being sold at half-price to clear the inventory. The soap shaves just fine. I have several other M&M soaps (in the new base) that are also excellent (just not soft). M&M was honest about why the soap I selected was being sold at a discount. I can't speak to your experience as I have only been purchasing and using their soaps for some months now.

When I bought mine it was being sold at half-price to clear the inventory. The soap shaves just fine. I have several other M&M soaps (in the new base) that are also excellent (just not soft). M&M was honest about why the soap I selected was being sold at a discount. I can't speak to your experience as I have only been purchasing and using their soaps for some months now.
Ditto about the discounted price. Still, Bill bent over backwards to get me a working soap, so I could experience M&M products as he wanted it presented. Big kudos to him for putting customers first.

What's even more awesome is this is moreso the normal in the shaving market than so many others. I've experienced excessive kindness, commitment, and generosity from CBL Soaps, Stirling Soaps, Hendrix and Co, and the list goes on. It's really refreshing... Customers actually matter. [emoji846]

My 2¢...

Top Bottom