What's new

Multiple blade razors and shave cream

I used MWF soap for the first time last night. It was slicker than AoS or TOBS creams, but with a less dense lather. While I missed the density I get from creams, it might be just the thing for a multi-blade cartridge. Super slick and slippery, but easy to clear from the blades.

Not to mention that MWF can take some time to dial in. I'd be willing to bet that you'll get better lather on subsequent uses.

But I absolutely agree with your point, it is great with multi blade systems. I've got it in my rotation and it's worked wonderfully!

I am a very proud user of the Gillette Fusion Pro Glide. And my shaves have gotten better using soaps & creams other than Edge or Gillette gels.

Using soaps or creams have guaranteed me baby butt smooth shaves w/o weepers, nicks and irritation every single time I shave.

Not to mention that MWF can take some time to dial in. I'd be willing to bet that you'll get better lather on subsequent uses.

But I absolutely agree with your point, it is great with multi blade systems. I've got it in my rotation and it's worked wonderfully!

I do not confuse the difference in density with quality. You are spot on. I was pleasantly surprised how quickly the lather blooms. I've had four shaves with it now and I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

sorry I wasn't more clear, meant Nivea Sensitve Cream, in a tube, I work up a face lather with one of my brushes, the Nivea Gel is good the cream in the tube is much better

...my shaves have gotten better using soaps & creams other than Edge or Gillette gels.

Using soaps or creams have guaranteed me baby butt smooth shaves w/o weepers, nicks and irritation every single time I shave.

One important reason for this is the heat. All other things being equal, a hot lather will soften your beard more than cold one, so even if you moisten your beard with hot water before lathering, anything straight from an aerosol can is going to be really cold, and will leave your beard stiffer than if you use a hot (or at least warm) lather. This will cause blades to encounter greater resistance, requiring you to more force to pull which in turn is more likely to irritate your skin, while at the same time dulling your blades faster. It's the anti-comfort trifecta!

I switched from canned cream and happily hot-lathered with a brush and soap and used a three-blade cart for 10 years with great results and never looked back. How has it been going for you with your trials?

One important reason for this is the heat. All other things being equal, a hot lather will soften your beard more than cold one, so even if you moisten your beard with hot water before lathering, anything straight from an aerosol can is going to be really cold, and will leave your beard stiffer than if you use a hot (or at least warm) lather.
Who sprays gel straight on their face?

Who sprays gel straight on their face?

Vaudeville comedians who got tired of using seltzer bottles?

OK, so putting gel on one's hand before applying it on the face perhaps isn't literally "straight on their face," but spraying on the hand before applying to the face doesn't add any significant amount of heat to it, so for all intents and purposes it may as well be "straight from the can."

Perhaps you would have understood what I meant if I had said "anything from an aerosol can that is applied to the face without any heat added to it by being mixed with hot water or some other method."

Sorry it went over your head. :001_rolle

Well OK then. Have a great next shave!
I have now been using a great soap for several days with my ProGlide and boar brush and I can say without any doubt it is the best shave experience I've had in over 50 years of shaving. I am using soap commander Courage and follow the recommended pre shave routine hot shower, warm water soak of brush and razor. I hydrate my face before lathering and do two passes with a cleanup . Wash off with warm water then a cold water rinse. Follow with after shave and Nivea sensitive balm . It has been great. Plan to try other creams/soaps. Can not wait to try a DE razor. This is getting to be a great hobby as well.

I don't think any amount of hot water would soften up my whiskers--these titanium wires don't even like to be cut by Feathers in an ATT R1 (or EJ for that matter), and my face is so sensitive that I have to be very careful that I don't accidentally take an aggressive angle or add pressure (currently recovering from major razor burn around my lips from when I got careless). OTOH, there are so many, going every which way on my chin, that it's like an iron shield--I almost don't have to worry about how I shave there because it's nearly impossible to cut myself, nevermind razor burn.

fwiw, I often got better shaves with the Nivea Sensitive Shave Gel in a can than what I've gotten so far with the soap I have, but I still haven't really mastered this brush/soap combo, so that may be why. When I used it, I usually put it in my hand then went to my face. Sometimes I'd rub my hands together before putting it on, which would warm it up and get a little lather going.

I'll try the brush/soap with my 4-blade tomorrow, since I'm interested in how it'll turn out and I'm recovering anyway.

Top Bottom