What's new

Muhle STF XL - It is that good!

It's been discussed in this thread and a few others, Rudy Vey pointed out the Pur-tech is a completely different fiber than the STF fiber...
I have tried, but I haven't found it. If anyone still remembers where those discussions are, please link them here.

Otoh, I found some contradictory information about the EJ STF knot, someone (@nav ) said that it isn't the same fibre as the Muhle STF anymore.

Synthetic knots are just 🤯

I have tried, but I haven't found it. If anyone still remembers where those discussions are, please link them here.

Otoh, I found some contradictory information about the EJ STF knot, someone (@nav ) said that it isn't the same fibre as the Muhle STF anymore.

I was looking earlier and couldn't find it either. I do remember a thread by @nav where he reviewed a few and found them all different.

The pur-tech uses an older version of the Muhle STF. I actually regard the fibre better than current Muhle fibre.
Down side is the pur-tech knots have huge glue bumps and low lofts.

Yup...ej changed their fibre and it's not the same as Muhle STF any longer.
I guess they didn't tell the need to inform anyone of the change because they never called their synth "silvertip fibre" in any case so they could make the change and retain their own name of "synthetic silvertip".

Additionally the STF breaks in, and I found this to be the case with the similar but different Oumo ST-1 as well. It took about 20 shaves for it to loosen up.

... Thom

Absolutely!
I hated the STF originally but after about 10 uses, it became my most favourite brush of all time!
It loosened and opened up so much that it was quite a drastic change!

My STF has also gotten better over time. I wouldn't want anything softer unless a Wald fell into my lap.*

*Don't care for the handle shapes, but if Wald ever offers the knots alone . . .

I must be the odd one out here as I've probably used my STF XL probably 25+ shaves with it since the beginning of August and it is just as hard to splay as it was on shave 1 and in the last several shaves it has started to shed...

Before anyone replies let it be known That I have already talked to Andrew @ @apshaveco and he is aware of the trial and tribulations I have had with this brush...

Yup...ej changed their fibre and it's not the same as Muhle STF any longer.
I guess they didn't tell the need to inform anyone of the change because they never called their synth "silvertip fibre" in any case so they could make the change and retain their own name of "synthetic silvertip".
Thanks. When did this change happen?
"Synthetic Silvertip Fibre" is written on mine. Is this now STF or not? :)
1701112010156.png

I must be the odd one out here as I've probably used my STF XL probably 25+ shaves with it since the beginning of August and it is just as hard to splay as it was on shave 1 and in the last several shaves it has started to shed...

Before anyone replies let it be known That I have already talked to Andrew @ @apshaveco and he is aware of the trial and tribulations I have had with this brush...
Just to clarify, it's not a huge break-in, but rather subtle and noticable - not that this applies to you're situation, unfortunately.

... Thom

The Mühle STF does break in over time and these knots become so good I don't even want to look at anything else. Both of mine are @Rudy Vey made brushes and really superb. They splay very easily, are very soft, yet they have enough backbone and scrub. There is no scritch. They are almost kitten fur feeling on the tips.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I find the EVO has too much backbone and STF not quite enough, but they are both nice brushes. The Wald is quite a bit better in every respect, but many times more expensive.

I have tried to love synthetic brushes and I just don't. I'm back to mostly badgers and boars, with the Wald worked into the rotation occasionally. The STF is my travel brush - and it's a welcome improvement over the cheaper synths I used for that task in the past.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I find the EVO has too much backbone and STF not quite enough, but they are both nice brushes. The Wald is quite a bit better in every respect, but many times more expensive.

I have tried to love synthetic brushes and I just don't. I'm back to mostly badgers and boars, with the Wald worked into the rotation occasionally. The STF is my travel brush - and it's a welcome improvement over the cheaper synths I used for that task in the past.
Agree, if you cannot swing a Wald, then the STF knot is the next best. But then, the Wald is a total different animal than any other synthetic I ever used.

I have a Mühle 19mm STF and I would say the backbone is non-existant. Is that normal for the smaller size?

Yup, only the 25mm has plenty of backbone.
They must vary some. I don't have a 25mm, I have a 23 and a 19 and the 19mm has noticeably more backbone than the larger one. But these brushes are several years old if I remember right (bought off the BST) and are still breaking in a little.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have a Mühle 19mm STF and I would say the backbone is non-existant. Is that normal for the smaller size?
That's odd, I have made myself one years ago for travel and this was during my working time the brush I use most during the year. The backbone was just perfectly fine for a nice face lather, that is what I do when traveling.

They must vary some. I don't have a 25mm, I have a 23 and a 19 and the 19mm has noticeably more backbone than the larger one. But these brushes are several years old if I remember right (bought off the BST) and are still breaking in a little.

Depends on the loft also.

Top Bottom