What's new

"Muck" type boots

Ok, so I realize these are not fashionable at all. But I am in need of some water proof boots for working around the yard. We just built a new house, and are currently surrounded by a moat as we await the final grade/seed/straw. In addition to that, I have a lot more land than before and will need to be keeping it up. Has anyone ever used Muck brand boots or anything like them? What are your thoughts? And how does the sizing work out if I order online? Thanks!

My brother in law (mid twenty’s) uses muck type boots. Only foot wear he wears till summer and he is a country boy out on the family farm. My Son (4 years old) used Bogs this last year. Wife want to suit up all the kids with them next year. From what I hear everyone seems to like them. Thinking of a pair for myself next winter. Myself I use Blundstone boots, waterproof great traction and clean up real good. But I don’t need to go through deep mud situations like you may get on a farm or in the country.
Johnny

It is Mud Season here in the Republic, as we wait for Spring. I live in Muck boots this time of year. Can't comment on the sizing, sorry, I don't recall it being anything out of the ordinary.

My wife lives in hers pretty much year-round, as she does most of the day-to-day chores on our small hobby farm. She's tried other brands, but the Muck boots have been the most comfortable and longest lasting. I tend to stick with Blundstones when I'm out there evenings and weekends, but they aren't really suited for vey wet conditions. Can't comment on sizing either, sorry.

Can't comment on anything you're looking for, but THANK YOU for the Blundstone recommendations! These are exactly what I've been looking for.

My parents have a hobby farm with horses and have used nothing but Muck boots the last decade and won't use anything else. Too much for me as a city slicker but it sounds perfect for your use.

Might have to get some for my son next year as he burned through two pairs of cheap boots. If they last the full year, maybe I can convince the daughter to wear them when she gets older.

OP: I am in a similar situation as you, with the new non-landscaped yard, this year. Blundstones all the way. I wear my "Chunk Sole" pair Spring, Summer & Fall around the yard. I've owned mine for 5 or 6 years now and, as said above, they're waterproof, clean up nice enough to be casual kicks, comfortable, rugged and they look really good! I've put them through a lot and there is still loads of life left in them.

They are Australian sizing, so go a full number lower, if ordering without trying on first.

I got a pair of Grub boots at the start of the winter. They're like Muck which I believe are now the same company. I wore the Grub boots on the bike and camping over the winter and I'm impressed. Wellies have certainly come a long way since I were a lad. They're comfortable enough to walk in all day long. Super comfortable and warm. Seriously. Size wise I take a UK 8 and an 8 fits me just right with, shall we say, a standard thick sport sock or slightly thicker. That kept my feet warm until temps got to around freezing. I found for thicker socks I would need a size up, so if yer anticipating freezing temps or below, snow etc then I'd suggest one size larger than normal.

Now although Grub and Muck now appear to be the same Company I can't say with certainty that they're sizing is the same. My Grub boots are fantastic Wellies though. Hope that helps.

I have The Muckboots Hoser Classic Hi-Cut Boot. I hesitated because they're a bit on the expensive side but they are one of the best things I've bought in a long time. I'm amazed at how many times I need/wear them and they are tough as nails. They're even great in the snow and kept me warm in some very below-freezing temperatures, too! They have a permanent place by the back door now and I can honestly say they're worth every penny and more. I wear a size 10 shoe and the mens size 10 in this boot fits perfectly, with room for thick socks if I want.

Hope this helps - here's a link to the Amazon page -

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WGB09M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bean Boots may be more stylish, to some, but they have seams to be maintained and/or leak. Muck boots cannot leak and require zero maintenance. They are a sturdier, more reliable product, ime.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm really looking for functional over style, as these will ONLY be used while working in the yard. Easy on/off is a plus for this as well. Though there are some nice looking boots here, and I may be looking at them for other purposes in the future.

For those who have used the Muck boots, do you find them to be too hot during the summer? Do you have a pair for hot weather and a pair for cooler weather, or is one style good for any weather?

I have not warn the boots during the Summer, but I would expect them to be very warm. They are basically rubber or plastic coated neoprene. They do not "breath," afaik. The short boots may still be fine during the Summer, though I expect the taller boots would really warm up some. I do recall that they make different "warmths."

I got Bogs boots for our awful winter and they were absolutely perfect, like wearing slippers in the snow. Didn't have to wear any heavy wool socks or anything to keep my feet warm. However, I got the hi-rise version, so for our mucky springs I might get a medium-rise or low-rise version.

I'd agree the Bean boots are more stylish, but for a work boot, the Mucks are a much better choice. I had the Bean/Sorel style boots growing up and I often had cold, wet feet in them.

My 8" LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes (Bean Boots) were purchased new in 1985 and are still going strong. They've been back to LL Bean twice for new rubber shoes/soles but the leather is original and EXTREMELY broken in after 30 years. I use either mink oil or Sno-Seal to maintain the leather.

They are my rain and snow boots, hunting boots, and work in muddy conditions boots. I can't recommend them highly enough.

proxy.php

Cheers!

Lacrosse Aerohead, I believe thats what they're called are comfortable. I wear them hunting, and for doing chores in the later all winter. They are like wearing a pair of running shoes. I've tried Mucks, be these beat them hands down for comfort.

If you are looking for lighter/unlined ones why not just get a pair or Wellies? Hunter is the original brand (or as close as you are going to get) but you can get a regular pair just about anywhere for cheap.
Johnny

Top Bottom