What's new

Moving from synthetic stones to natural?

Is it worth finishing up on a Jnat coming off Shapton glass stones at 10k? Or is it just better to keep with the Shaptons and go 30k?

Worth it? Better? Depends on your perspective and/or what you like/prefer. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth.
I have never finished on any kind of synthetic except lapping film(unless you count the Norton 8k). And I really like the sort of super sharp edge I get from that. But...
I have an assortment of natural finishers. They are all different, and give off a different type/feeling edge. But I like them all for their different feel.
I also love, love, love honing on a "real" rock. One of the things I love about them is that they ARE so different. And most of them you have to "play" with until you find out just exactly what they need from you in order to get their best edge, for you.
Synthetics are much more consistent, and not as demanding. There's a place for that, too.
IMO, the best question I could ask you is, "Do you enjoy honing, and spending time on a hone? Do you have the patience and enthusiasm to do a bit of "work" to figure a stone out, or are you just looking to put and keep a shaving edge on a razor and just shave?"
If the answer to that last question is yes, then I would stick to synthetic stones. But if the first two questions "fit you", jump on in. Natural hones, finishers or otherwise, are a boatload of fun. And the edges are lovely.

Last edited:
I have both but not the 30k so was really just trying to figure out if its worth buying it.

I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking if it would be worth putting the 30k between your Shapton 10k and the JNAT or whether you should just use the 30k in place of the JNAT?

If the former, I would say it is definitely not worth it. If the later, it depends on what kind of edges you like.

I have tried the Shapton 30K, didn't care for the edges.

If you are thinking about using synthetics to get to your JNAT then you dont need to go up to 30K before.

For hollow grinds the shapton 4k followed by the JNAT is great, I have tried going higher, using 5 nagura and to me there is no difference in the resulting edge.

For thicker grinds I take the synthetic to 8k then follow it with the JNAT

Of note, for years now I have been using a worn out atoma 1200 plate to generate slurry

I've had the 30K for a while now, but only recently started playing with it.

Great success with two full hollowed blades: one in 80CRV2 steel, and the other 51200. The edges have lasted for several shaves so far. I normally prefer the edge from a natural, but these were pretty darn impressive in their smoothness.

Not so great success with two quarter hollows: one in 80CRV2, and the other some kind of Damascus. The 80CRV2 gave one good shave, then irritating for the second. The Damascus was chipping. For these blades I stop at 10K and then jump to an Escher or Black Ark.

Is it worth buying? If you have enough expendable income, why not? But if you budget better, then I find it hard to justify. You can jump from the wonderful 10K to anything else, whether it's a natural or 0.1 CBN on felt.

You might have more fun with the 16K. I have found that for a touchup I can go straight to the 16K, then a natural or CBN. For some reason my 16K can remove metal quickly.

Last edited:
I've had the 30K for a while now, but only recently started playing with it.

Great success with two full hollowed blades: one in 80CRV2 steel, and the other 51200. The edges have lasted for several shaves so far. I normally prefer the edge from a natural, but these were pretty darn impressive in their smoothness.

Not so great success with two quarter hollows: one in 80CRV2, and the other some kind of Damascus. The 80CRV2 gave one good shave, then irritating for the second. The Damascus was chipping. For these blades I stop at 10K and then jump to an Escher or Black Ark.

Is it worth buying? If you have enough expendable income, why not? But if you budget better, then I find it hard to justify. You can jump from the wonderful 10K to anything else, whether it's a natural or 0.1 CBN on felt.

You might have more fun with the 16K. I have found that for a touchup I can go straight to the 16K, then a natural or CBN. For some reason my 16K can remove metal quickly.
Very interesting and i might look at the 16k .....thank you

I have a Shapton GS system 1K>30K and to your original question @ 8>10K a J-Nat could be an outstanding finish, one of my preferred favs. I find the edge delivered by the Shapton GS 10K to be a very capable set up for many different natural stones provided it's properly executed.
The 16K I have will deliver a VERY sharp edge but I find the results to be tedious to shave with and somewhat harsh on the razors that I have tried it on.
Like (jeffus) I have the 30K but have not used it much yet, and the couple of edges I have tried did not overwhelm me, not enough experience yet to make a judgement about the 16>30K as a finishing system coming from the 10K.
I have finished quite a # of edges coming from the GS 10K to the Suehiro Gok20 with outstanding results if you like to finish on a synthetic stone.

Well that settles that....10k to my JNat to start with....if i dont like it ill pick up a 16k and give it a whirl.

If you go past 10k imo your only taking the edge back with the initial slurry. So imo that's about as low as would be useful .

Top Bottom