What's new

Mototola Android

Does anyone else have one of these?

I am having a heck of a time getting used to the keyboard(s), if it isw even possible to do so.

Seems like a good and cutting edge unit overall. But the slide out keyboard is pittiable. I have used Blackberries for years to good effect. This keyboard seems like a toy, at best. Very difficult not to hit multiple or the wrong keys.

I also have an IPod Touch. (I guess those are just IPods now.) Not always easy to unse the touch keyboard but a heck of a lot easier than trying to type out the simpliest thing on the Droid. But maybe it is just me.

Also, not search function for e-mail as far as I can tell. Bizarre. Real nice toy though.

I heard great things but I can't give up my BlackBerry. I think I am going to give up my Storm for a Tour.

I would love to go to IPhone but AT&T network coverage is bad for my purposes.

I am not sure that BBerry is not still the only way to go for business. I was hoping the droid keyboard would be a plus not a minus.

I love my iPhone, but HATE AT&T's service. I really like how solid the Droid feels, but that keyboard with the tiny keys is the first thing I noticed. Maybe you'll get used to it after some practice.

Tiny and flat. As I indicted in my initial post I hope it is a matter of getting used to both keyboards on the droid, but so far it is not that easy. Also seems to jostle into other screens somehow. That is, I have not consciously touched any key but suddenly I am over into something I did not mean to go to. Makes it hard too enter message, too.

From what I hear AT&T service where I am is spotty and I know it is non existent at my house unless one stands in the drive way!

I find those tiny keyboards to be no better than an on-screen keyboard.

I wish they would stop putting them on the phones, they just make them thicker.

I find those tiny keyboards to be no better than an on-screen keyboard.

I wish they would stop putting them on the phones, they just make them thicker.

Screw that. I hate those screen jobs. I can text with one hand, and without looking if I have to, with a real keyboard. The hugest phone today is still miniscule compared to what was once considered small. Besides, smaller doesn't always equal better.

I can deal with a touch screen keyboard on, say, an ITouch okay, but can really use a Blackberry keyboard easily and I dare say well. I think a big part of it is that the Blackberry has raised keys. The keyboard on the Droid is perfectly flat. So along it it bigger than a Blackberry keyboard by a lot, it is much harder to use. If it were the quality of the Blackberry keyboard with raised keys, it would be great. I would say that it would definitely be worth the additional thickness for instance. As is neither the touch screen keyboard nor the pull out keyboard is very useful. And I realy have not figured out why I would be holding the unit in my hand and hand it swtich around screens as if I were pushing buttons. It may be the way I am holding it. if so that is a problem. I am holding it in the way that is most logical and easiest for me to enter text.

I am a couple of months in using this Motorola Android now. I would say that the hard keyboard still seems to be useless. Maximum PC said it was the worst keyboard they had ever reviewed on any kind of device. I do not have that kind of experience so I do not know.

I have gotten more used to the touch screen keyboard and have downloaded some non-OEM versions and that seems to help, but it is very, very touchy. Certainly nothing like the Blackberry useability-wise.

Also, have had some real problems with the getting this to work with MS exchange server for e-mail. I have no idea with it synches with calendars and the like. No search feature in e-mail is maddening.

Overall though I like it. It is a decent sounding phone. The internet brower, navigation, and IPod like features are good.

Anyone else have any experiences with the Android to share?

Does anyone else have one of these?

I am having a heck of a time getting used to the keyboard(s), if it isw even possible to do so.

After I washed my blackberry curve (twice!?!) I gave the droid phone a good look in the verizon store and agree with you about the keyboard. I thought it was quite amusing that the physical keyboard was even less useful than the virtual keyboard - they would have saved a lot of money by ditching the physical keyboard and sliding mechanism altogether because the physical keyboard was a complete waste. But even the virtual keyboard was much less usable than my wife's iphone, which itself is much less usable than the blackberry keyboard which is a practicable two-finger touch-type keyboard. Anyway, I wound up getting a BB 9700.

After I washed my blackberry curve (twice!?!) I gave the droid phone a good look in the verizon store and agree with you about the keyboard. I thought it was quite amusing that the physical keyboard was even less useful than the virtual keyboard - they would have saved a lot of money by ditching the physical keyboard and sliding mechanism altogether because the physical keyboard was a complete waste. But even the virtual keyboard was much less usable than my wife's iphone, which itself is much less usable than the blackberry keyboard which is a practicable two-finger touch-type keyboard. Anyway, I wound up getting a BB 9700.

I got the Droid in similar, emergency circumstances it sounds like. I do not think I regret it, although I would say that it is probably less useful for business purposes than the BB would be, simply because of the keyboard.

The real shame is it would have been very easy to make the keyboard much, much better. It is really unexplainable why they designed it the way they did.

I assume this is Motorola's fault and if I was Google I would be annoyed. I truly think the OS is the way the go and is very impressive. The keyboard makes it seem like amateur hour though!

Top Bottom