What's new

Most overrated shaving product.

I was unimpressed with Feather blades, they are good, but don't feel they're any better than my Wilkinson's for half the price. I do have to say that I'm a badger person. I find the boar too rough on my skin, the badger gives me a much better feel. I haven't tried horse or synthetic, but I'm planning to soon.

I suppose the one item I find the most overrated is the pre-shave oils. I like them, I use them, but I haven't bought any for a long time because it's so much easier to blend a cheaper version at home.

I have a love/hate relationship with Feathers. Yes, they shave very close and they last a long time. At least a week for me, and I have a heavy beard and shave every day. But I tend to cut myself with Feathers when, while using other blades, I go weeks between nicks and weepers.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My impression is that everyone seems to be listing their least liked product, which generally has little to do with it being overrated. Pre-shaves are a perfect example: they don't do anything for me, but I don't think that makes them overrated.

I have actually found very little that's overrated. I find the expensive razors shave better than the cheaper ones, the more expensive creams work better than the cheaper ones and the same for soap.

I do think you could easily make the argument that the product for twice the money is not twice as good as the cheaper product, but that's a question of personal value for the money decision.

DE89 razor - Bulky head, bad balance and weight.
Feather blades - More over-hyped. They won't cut up your family, neighbors and pets. There are just blades.
Arko soap - Not best performer, not great scent, ok soap, but got the "must-have" label mostly due to price. You can do better at same money.
"Shaving" scuttles/mugs/bowls - I personally don't see the point on lathering somewhere else than on your face. But this is mostly personal preference. Anyway, designated products are truly overrated. A shaving bowl might go at around $30. A random kitchen bowl of same dimensions would cost $2-3.

Okay, I'm going to get flamed here, but the Gillette Fatboy.

It looks super cool, and feels great in the hand, I get it. For shaving though, I found really bulky. Bought one, sold it, bought another, sold it. Slim is better, but I prefer the 3-piece designs.

Okay, I'm going to get flamed here, but the Gillette Fatboy.

It looks super cool, and feels great in the hand, I get it. For shaving though, I found really bulky. Bought one, sold it, bought another, sold it. Slim is better, but I prefer the 3-piece designs.

+1. I have two of them, one shaves better than the other but my black beauty adjustables are way better.

Brushes, period. My shaves using a brush and a soap/cream are no better than the ones I get just rubbing some Barbasol or some gel on my face with my fingers.

Yup. Fat boys !!! Just cause the outrageous prices people ask , have one , paid too much probably , shaves ok , like the weight .

Shaving scuttles !!! Way to small ,
col conk , after shaves ,
poraso pre shave creams
and yes badger brushes so far .

Maybe be now iam ranting ......��

I would have to say Shaving Oils which claim you can get as clean/comfortable shave as you can by lathering up with full facial prep. Maybe if you're 12 and have no whisker thickness. But they leave me wanting to file false advertising claims against them. Kinexion is one, Shave Secret is another.

Taylor of old bond street, everything about them. And styptic pencils.
I would shave 10x over with barbasol than I would ever touch a ToBS product....Wait, I already do, or I use my proraso :x...Imma get so much stick for this.

Screw it, I'll go as far to say that anything American beats out all these British/whomever country companies. Barbasol+Gillette de razor+personna blades+aqua velva= smelling like a champion. BOOO TOBS!

Taylor of old bond street, everything about them. And styptic pencils.
I would shave 10x over with barbasol than I would ever touch a ToBS product....Wait, I already do, or I use my proraso :x...Imma get so much stick for this.

Screw it, I'll go as far to say that anything American beats out all these British/whomever country companies. Barbasol+Gillette de razor+personna blades+aqua velva= smelling like a champion. BOOO TOBS!

I enjoy the TOBS Sandlewood I got when I ordered my Feather razor, but I have to agree it's not the most lubricating soap/lather I've used. I have barbasol around from when I was doing the cartridge thing...it doesn't lubricate my skin as well as the Proraso green I have and definitely not as well as the Dove creme in a tube I've used a bit and Nutrogena has one that's also very nice.

Point being: your "screw it" statement comes across as rather jingoistic and dismissive without real substance.

Oh...and stypic pencils? what part of stopping bleeding makes these over-rated?

That would be this:

proxy.php

When will they finally admit that their DE razors are better compared to all this new sci-fi products they have been producing? They started with a 2 bladed cart, updated to 3, later 3 + 1 blades and later 5 + 1 blades, and now when they realized that it's useless to add more blades into the cart they have started to "improve" the handles. Now they have added a ball into the handle. I really wonder what they'll add next up. a second ball maybe????

Top Bottom