What's new

Montblanc Roller Ball Replacement

Last Christmas I got my son a Montblanc Starwalker. This Christmas I'm going to pick him up his first fountain pen. Anyway, I was going to pick up some replacement ink for the Mont Blanc. What do you guys recommend, a Mont Blanc replacement or is there something better?

Frankly, I was disappointed in my Montblanc fountain pen. The plating wore off just like a $20 fountain pen. IMO, that shouldn't have happened to a fountain pen of this caliber. I've decided they are overpriced and Over respected in the fountain pen business.

There are compatible refills for MB roller balls, the 122 mm version, but with mixed reviews, Monteverde is probably about the best of a bad bunch, for the small saving involved I would tend to stay with MB.

I see that you are planning a new fountain pen, I must admit a matching Starwalker FP would be a great gift, perhaps a 2 pen leather case would be perfect. This will keep both pens looking good and be a good investment, a matched pair of pens in the original leather case (and keep the boxes!) would be a future collectors dream purchase.

eta, dont forget the MB ink, there some silly prices being asked for their limited edition inks, over $2 per ml. the regular 'shoe' bottle shaped bottled ink is much better value.

And if you are spending all this at an MB Boutiuque I would hope that they throw in the rollerball refill.

I'm not planning on spending a ton for the fountain pen. I have another thread that asks for suggestions on fountain pens and I'm leaning towards either a Pilot Metro or perhaps a Lamy. Nothing too expensive there.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
A Pelikan 200 series can be had for a tad over $100 and it is a great pen!!

Montblanc's felt tip refils (Artfineliner) fit the same as their rollerball refills, so that could be a consideration if you're looking to get him something a little different for the MB.

Top Bottom