What's new

Monkhouse fasteners

Hi,

I have a Monkhouse straight razor in need of restoration. Pic attached. Can you tell me how to remove the fasteners holding the scales together?
Thanks,
KK

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 55
I would not remove them.
Harvest the applied trim if you want but throw the scales and blade away.
The scales will only ruin the next blade they see. They are toxic. They have cell rot and there is no cure.
Sorry.

So replace the scales along with new micro fasteners? Can you tell me what the trim is made of and the best way to “harvest” it? Is there any reason I cannot remove the rust from the blade and polish it back up? Thank you!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The blade is pretty far gone. I don't think you have much usable steel left. The sad part is it looks like the heavy pitting was caused by, or aggravated by, outgassing from the celluloid scales, and so they are suspect, too. Hate to say it and I could be wrong, but I don't think this one is worth restoring or even salvaging.

However, should you encounter a razor that is a better candidate for restore, to unpin what I do is I file the head off the pin and punch it through. Once you file off the head, you can also take a very small screwdriver, insert between scale and razor hear the pivot, and gently twist to pop off the near scale. Then you can spread them a bit and remove the razor. Push what is left of the pin out the other scale.

To repin, yeah you could use Microfastener size 0-80 bolts, washers, and nuts, sure. They are excellent for trial pinnings to make sure everything lines up right, before permanent pinning. You can cut off the bolt end and peen it down over the nut. You can also take off the nut and peen the bolt down on the washers. But I find brass a bit soft for permanent pinning, and so I prefer the industry standard Nickel-Silver rod. The size is 1/16" diameter. You can use the various size 0 washers from microfasteners.com or you can look online for domed washers. Or get or make a die kit for doming your own brass washers. You can easily make brass flat washers out of sheet brass. Cut or punch pieces, drill a center hole, mount on a size 0 bolt and nut, chuck the assembly in your drill and turn them down against a file.

Pinning materials in bulk or in kits for one razor can be found online pretty easy.

This is all new to me so your help is appreciated as I learn more about this cool device and hobby.

Thanks

Everything on this razor is pretty much ruined, unfortunately. The celluloid has become unstable and corroded the metal severely. Rot that severe on hollow ground razors is pretty much terminal.

So replace the scales along with new micro fasteners? Can you tell me what the trim is made of and the best way to “harvest” it? Is there any reason I cannot remove the rust from the blade and polish it back up? Thank you!

Although I have not done it personally, you can soak the scales in lacquer thinner and the trim will come off easily.
Lacquer thinner removes near anything but it is toxic so take precautions.
I would be inclined to try heat and tweezers as well as this will probably release the adhesive but not totally remove the glue so it would still need to be dissolved in a solvent.
As mentioned, everything else is pretty far gone to be of use. Do not keep the scales unless you want to trace them but keep them far away from any other razors, as a matter of fact, keep them in a plastic back sealed to not contaminate anything else.

Are the trim pieces made out of brass? Has anyone actually removed the trim effectively to transfer them to another new set of scales?

I have not but have seen it done, yes.
Is it brass? I don't know without seeing it. Does it react to a magnet? Probably tin or aluminum, not sure.

I have done it on a dubl duck wonderedge as the scales were starting to gas, so I bought a donor that had done the same as the original poster. And yes soak scales in lacquer thinner for a few mins then test, the inlays once they start to lift they come off easy. But don't force and please dont use heat if you get stuck send me a pm and I will help all I can.

Top Bottom