What's new

Monkey Tail Rodgers and Stub Tail Warranted

The Joseph Rodgers has more of a bat wing than monkey tail. It provides a place for two fingers on the tail and two on the tang. A really neat design.

Lots of patina. No rust to speak of. 5/8 hollow ground with little hone wear. Unfortunately, I don't care too much for hollow ground, so I'll probably be letting this one go.

If I had to guess age? Well into the 20th century. Seems to be plastic scales with a 77 embossed on the inside. Probably a part number. England export stamp as well as Ground in Sheffield.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The stub is definitely Warranted. I think it is Roberts Warranted.

Straight, clear horn scales painted to look like tortoise. They've seen better days, but are solid and may be restoreable.

Solid blade with a nice smile. Stub tail that either broke or someone tried to scallop for easier opening. I suspect the latter.

Full, or dang near, wedge. The spine also widens towards the deep belly, so I think this is close to the original profile. Can't wait to use this one.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I assume pretty well. The Warranted is about 200 years old.

I haven't honed them yet, but I will.:thumbup1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The second one looks very mean, shame it's warped...

I love the old Warranted. It looks to be early 1800's from the design. A great piece of history. I love shaving with really old razors.

Thanks, all. I have another, older Roberts Warranted coming.

Luc- I don't know if the Warranted is warped or not. It does sit nicely on my hone, though. It'll only require a slight rock to catch the ends of the smile (toe and heel). :thumbup1:

It may just be I can't keep it still long enough to take a picture. :blink:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks, all. I have another, older Roberts Warranted coming.

Luc- I don't know if the Warranted is warped or not. It does sit nicely on my hone, though. It'll only require a slight rock to catch the ends of the smile (toe and heel). :thumbup1:

It may just be I can't keep it still long enough to take a picture. :blink:

If I look at the last picture the tip seems to be curved up but the bottom half seems straight...

Nice razors. I have an exact match to the first but made by Geo Wost rather than Joe. Must have been a popular style for a short period. The long tails give GREAT control. I'll never understand why they didn't catch on (they're relatively rare).

Top Bottom