What's new

modern razors that copy Gillette's designs?

Are there any modern razors that have copied the Gillette Old Type or Gillette Tech? I like the thin heads on those razors. The AS-D2 that I'm using looks close to the Tech, but the bar looks a bit thicker.

Maggard’s V3M head is like the Tech, only a bit more aggressive and the tabs are covered on the sides of the blade. Fits a standard handle, but Maggard’s also sells those.

Are there any modern razors that have copied the Gillette Old Type or Gillette Tech? I like the thin heads on those razors. The AS-D2 that I'm using looks close to the Tech, but the bar looks a bit thicker.
FYI there is a current thread of a asd2 owner searching for a modern replacement take a peak in the last 48hrs.
There are lots of Gillette look alikes but so far I have not seen one which could claimed to be a improvement.
Grinn so I still want a tech.....
Oh nice detail you can get birthyear/quarter Gillette’s they are date coded.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Global Shave Club have their so called 'tribute' series including the 'Replitech' which amazingly most YouTube reviewers seem to love. To my mind they are cheaply made derivative knock offs which are often more expensive than the originals they copy but to each his own. 👍

Speaking of Global Shave Club, their Fatboy replica is supposed to ship this month (we'll see), and they've announced an all stainless Red Tip replica.

Razorock Old Type can be found at the Italian Barber for $8.00 for the head only
Razorock DE 1 (head only) which is a close descendent of the Gillette Tech can be found at the Italian Barber for $5.00.

I had dozens of shaves with the former, and hundreds with the latter. Both excellent razors for me. YMMV

There are many many chinese copies of Gillette Tech.
Rimei, Baili, Yingjili, Weishi etc...
And there quite a lot of copies of Gillette's different TTO models as well.

I doubt Gillette Old Type Slants or Tech Slants count. Modern process, but still old razor.

The Wolfman and the Ikon Tek are the two that come to mind for me as being both modern and based on the Tech design.

There is no modern equivalent of the Old type. Razorock's clone is much milder than the original razors.

I was going to answer “all of them”, but, less facetiously, the Lord L5 is an exact copy of a late-model Tech, and it shaves more aggressively. For about $7 it can’t be beat
True. I was thinking high quality or at least equivalent to the Gillette Tech. Any of the tech clones shave like a tech, and a few are more aggressive. Heck, you can buy a Gillette 7 o'clock Sterling, which is the current production Indian Gillette Tech, I think.

I doubt Gillette Old Type Slants or Tech Slants count. Modern process, but still old razor.

The Wolfman and the Ikon Tek are the two that come to mind for me as being both modern and based on the Tech design.

There is no modern equivalent of the Old type. Razorock's clone is much milder than the original razors.

Not sure about the Ikon but I believe the Wolfman BBS-1 had roots in the Personna DE standard, nicknamed a while back the BBS-0. It was a razor known for being given out to first class passengers on international flights in the late sixties.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Not sure about the Ikon but I believe the Wolfman BBS-1 had roots in the Personna DE standard, nicknamed a while back the BBS-0. It was a razor known for being given out to first class passengers on international flights in the late sixties.

+1 on the "BBS-0". :)
20200709_193400~2.jpg20200610_173639~2.jpg20200521_110554~2.jpg

Great shaving razor. :)

Last edited:
BBS-1 was based on a zamak made Weishi actually, which is a Tech clone.
And this is where the similarities end.
Here you go.

It was posted on Reddit a long time ago from James himself. This was the progress to the final model.
proxy.php
The Wolfman was developed and refined from a $5 Weishi razor, which is a Tech clone. I think the final result is closer to the British Flat Bottom Techs, myself.

True. I was thinking high quality or at least equivalent to the Gillette Tech. Any of the tech clones shave like a tech, and a few are more aggressive. Heck, you can buy a Gillette 7 o'clock Sterling, which is the current production Indian Gillette Tech, I think.
I like the Chinese Gillette Super Blue better simply because the finishing on the head is better. Polished with Gillette stamping vs 7oClock which doesn’t have an even finish nor stamped Gillette but thats just me being petty haha

I don’t get it. Why buy a replica of one of the great Gillette razors when there are plenty of them in great shape out there for purchase. Most anything you buy ta day is going to be plated zamac whereas the vintage Gillette’s are going to be brass.

I don’t get it. Why buy a replica of one of the great Gillette razors when there are plenty of them in great shape out there for purchase. Most anything you buy ta day is going to be plated zamac whereas the vintage Gillette’s are going to be brass.
I think it would be hard to tell if the razor is functioning as designed especially if it needed repair.

I would prefer something that is SS.

Top Bottom