What's new

Military Shave Routines?

Welcome to B&B.

It may seem strange, but the Barber Shop for us is a place to discuss "off-topic" subjects so I have moved your shaving thread out into General Shaving Discussion which is more appropriate and where it should receive more responses.

Just briefly; I would suggest that your razor is perfectly suitable and that a towel wrap is not necessary to achieve a good shave. If you are concerned that your preparation is lacking, wash your face and leave it wet and soapy before you brush your teeth in the mornings and then jump in the shower. The extra couple of minutes with your beard being covered in soap and water should help. Building lather on your face rather than in a bowl will also save time and add to the preparation of your beard. A shaving stick is your friend!

Lack of shower & sink time. Try a pre-shave of some sort, a simple moisturizer rubbed in before heading to the rain locker to give a head start to softening up.

Have you tried shaving with cold water? It takes a little getting used at first, particularly in cold weather, and you have to be more careful of nicks since you skin is not a pliable. However, cold water keeps your whiskers rigid, leading to a closer shave with fewer passes required, even with a very mild razor.

I shave with cold water every day unless I am specifically trying to "treat myself" with a fancy shave.

This won't work for everyone, for some of us a hot wrap isn't a luxury, its literally the only way we can shave. If I try to go in cold my blade will stick in my whiskers like an axe in a tree truck.

Have you tried shaving with cold water? It takes a little getting used at first, particularly in cold weather, and you have to be more careful of nicks since you skin is not a pliable. However, cold water keeps your whiskers rigid, leading to a closer shave with fewer passes required, even with a very mild razor.

I shave with cold water every day unless I am specifically trying to "treat myself" with a fancy shave.

I'm way too much of a sissy for that sort of thing. I've been known to come back later if the hot water isn't running on the ship. I'll take a hot shower in the middle of summer after I just cut the grass. Just my preference I guess. I might actually die if I get in a cold shower haha.

Welcome to B&B.

It may seem strange, but the Barber Shop for us is a place to discuss "off-topic" subjects so I have moved your shaving thread out into General Shaving Discussion which is more appropriate and where it should receive more responses.

Just briefly; I would suggest that your razor is perfectly suitable and that a towel wrap is not necessary to achieve a good shave. If you are concerned that your preparation is lacking, wash your face and leave it wet and soapy before you brush your teeth in the mornings and then jump in the shower. The extra couple of minutes with your beard being covered in soap and water should help. Building lather on your face rather than in a bowl will also save time and add to the preparation of your beard. A shaving stick is your friend!

Thanks for the move. I posted in barbershop since that was where the veteran/active duty was sticky'd. Didn't mean to create work for you.

The hot towel treatment to me is a luxury not a requirement. Working on your technique is your best bet. A good shower and face wash should be all you need.

Thank you for your service also!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
The hot towel treatment to me is a luxury not a requirement. Working on your technique is your best bet. A good shower and face wash should be all you need.

Thank you for your service also!

+1 with cvargo , Did you mention the type of brush that you use ?

Back in the day (early 80's, USMC) we were issued a twin blade disposable razor and were required to provide our own shaving foam. There were were no other instructions or guidance.

Welcome. In the Army so I can't speak to the ship, but time is still a daily factor for my shaving routine. My tips are...

Volunteer to be the last one to shower/shave or get up earlier. If you have time for individual physical fitness training perhaps shaving after that. I have found a good DE shave will last longer.

As other have said a towel is not need just a good shower...which is hot about 40 percent of the time.

I was in the Marine Corps infantry so most of my time was either spent in the field or deployed to a place where we lived outside. On my last deployment (2010) I probably showered once a month if I was lucky. And when I say shower I mean dump a bucket of water over my head. My prep was just washing my face with soap. With that being said when I shaved it was with cold water. If I knew I was going to pressed for time, I would always find a different time during the day to shave (after patrol instead of before). Maybe just change your shaving schedule to whenever you have some off time and the head is more readily available. Also, hot water is overrated. Think of the old timers in ww2, Korea, and Vietnam.

Last edited:
on ship, i filled a canteen with hot water from the galley thr night before for soaking my brush and making my lather. i had my shower every morning and made sure to wash my face well. best piece of advice, wake up a few minutes early to where there isnt a line in the head.

Back in the day (early 80's, USMC) we were issued a twin blade disposable razor and were required to provide our own shaving foam. There were were no other instructions or guidance.

I didn't really start shaving until I joined. My seabag came with a Mach 3 at the time. Out of all the dumb stuff we did in boot camp, learning how to shave properly with a safety razor would have been something you keep forever. But I think they have "moved up" to Pro Glides by now.

I didn't really start shaving until I joined. My seabag came with a Mach 3 at the time. Out of all the dumb stuff we did in boot camp, learning how to shave properly with a safety razor would have been something you keep forever. But I think they have "moved up" to Pro Glides by now.

Thank you for sharing your experinece.

During that time I only vaguely remember shaving unless it was just prior to a major inspection. Often times shower durations were measured in seconds and I remember being so sick and dehydrated with the flu during our rifle range stay that when we were released to shower I literally guzzled at least a gallon of warm water right out of the shower head.

The one time I remember shaving was during the endless inspections just before graduation, and the drill instructor told me I did okay on my face but my neck left something to be desired, and he sent me back in the head to clean it up. Oh man the memories.

Welcome Shipmate! (I'm a 23 year retired Navy veteran myself.)

I know there's a lot of folks who will call it heresy, but I've never found use for pre-shave oils, creams or what not. I've always had great success in just a good old fashioned face wash, especially onboard the ship. That said, after those wonder Navy Showers, I went right to the sink. Because you're fresh out of the shower, you're in a better position to go straight to lather.

Cheers!

The only time I use a hot towel is when I'm not going to be taking a hot shower (just so I have some kind of shaving prep).

I was in the Navy for 10 years and I know how limited you are for time, water and storage space. For your underway days I would stick to a shower and get a decent shave cream (not canned if you can help it) and a DE razor. If you don't have anywhere to leave a brush dry, skip the brush too. You should be able to get a good shave in a minimal amount of time. Save all the non-essential stuff for when your hooked up at the pier.

Last edited:
Hey fellas, new to the site and stumbled upon this part of the forums.

First off, I am new to safety razors, brushes, lather etc. I have been using Mach 3s and Pro Glides my whole adult life. This is my first week shaving with the good stuff and I am still trying not to be bad at it.

With that being said, I am noticing a lot of "pre shave" posts out there recommending a hot towel wrap to help your beard absorb water and make the shave better. I am currently on my 3rd ship active duty and anyone else who has been on a ship knows a few things:

1. You have better things to do with your time than spend ~10 minutes setting up for your shave every morning
2. If you don't have better things to do with your time, you still don't have anywhere good to put these wet towels.
3. There are other people waiting to use the sink. You are going to get yourself hurt.

Other than taking a hot shower, using the pre shave oil/cream etc, does anyone have a good routine that helps prepare for a great shave in the morning?
I'm far from the army, but sometimes I shave on the pool.
I dump my face with hot water few times, then wash my face with regular bar soap, wash out soap, make lather, shave, my technique after few years is good enough for one pass shave and 2 passes on my lower neck, cca 5-7 minutes, if 2 passes than 7 min.
At training I use disposable

Last edited:
LT. I used a Merkur 34C and found it to be very mild. An adjustable lets you decide what is mild to you. I also have a Gillette Milford, which is mild. If interested, I would be happy to send the Milford to you. Just pm me the address or APO.

Sent via mobile - Chris

What does one of those run?

Top Bottom