What's new

Military Decorations

Guys,

Figured that following on from Lebarums thread, I'd post a couple of interesting groups people might enjoy reading about:

Group 1: [The only medal awarded for drinking tea with the enemy.....]

Taking Tea With The Russians:

Sergeant Thomas James Sevier MM MSM 2/3rd South Midland Field Ambulance R.A.M.C. (T.F.)

proxy.php

proxy.php

Military Medal February 1917, and the "Meritous Service Medal" awarded on the 30th September 1919 (Archangel Command, Russia), for:

"This N.C.O has performed meritous service in the DVINA force. Practically the whole time he has been the senior N.C.O. in the forward hospital at TOULGAS. On one occasion when the hospital was captured by the enemy, by his presence of mind, in remaining with the patients, he protected them when threatened, and pursuaded the enemy to sit down to tea, until the the village was recaptured."

Only the English could use Tea as a weapon :lol:

A follow on..... I said in the other thread I research medals to keep the recipients alive, here's my favourite example of my hobby:

A while ago I purchased a single MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) and a certificate for a 1953 coronation medal from an antiques/house clearance shop (They'd come from the same place and were stuffed in an old cardboard box together). The guy said they had come from a house clearance locally and I paid about 50 quid for that and another MBE (female) with a newspaper cutting, a bargain even then.

Well they languished in my desk for a few years until I had the time to research them properly, and from the certificate I got the guys name (MBE's arn't named) and from there I found a citation for the MBE (unusual to say the least.......).

When I read his citation I wondered, how often did this guys MBE and Coronation medal get overlooked and plain ignored on parades, thinking it to be just another "good duty" one (MBE's are now handed out like sweets, and tbh have lost a lot of their meaning because of it)..... but in this case, how wrong could you be........ this MBE was awarded in lieu of a George Cross in 1940. (The George Cross is the Civillian version of the Victoria
Cross, the premier award for Gallantry you can get!)

Here's the guys details:

proxy.php

Charles Alfred Sleeth, Skipper of the steam trawler WARREN (172 tons) awarded the MBE in the LG 20 Jan 1942 (probably for an action c. 1 Aug 1940) for driving off an enemy air attack.

Citation reads:

The trawler was suddenly attacked by an enemy bomber. Fifield, who was already at the gun, was hit by machine-gun fire. Although bleeding profusely, he stayed at his gun, firing steadily. The Skipper meanwhile left the bridge to fetch rockets to warn other ships. By this time the gunner was weak from loss of blood and the Skipper took his place at the Lewis gun. It seems probable that while firing some 300 rounds, Fifield hit the enemy, as part of the fuselage was seen to fall. When at the gun, the Skipper succeeded in piercing the plane's under-carriage during a very close attack in which three more bombs only just missed the trawler, whose steering was damaged. After being hit in this last attack, the bomber flew away. Fifield showed unflinching bravery in standing to his gun when wounded and his rapid, and probably successful, fire shook the attacker. The Skipper set a fine example throughout, and when he in turn took over the gun, his fire undoubtedly drove off the enemy, enabling him to bring his ship safely home.

Makes you think more about the guys on parade wearing one or two hard earnt medals, and their dignified disposition.

I can add other groups if anyones interested in these "Boy's Own" adventures.

Tom

Last edited:

Here's a not particularly thrilling citation, but a mans life is never totally uninteresting.... a bit of detective work. I bought just the Royal Victorian Medal, and from the name Harry Ward, I found out a bit more and could gauge most of his life.

IN MEMORY OF:

13789 Pte Harry Ward 1st Bn Grenadier Guards RVM MM

May his memory live on, as he had no chance too.

Harry was born in 275 Fereston (?) road, Radford Nottinghamshire around 1896, he had 3 older brothers, and 2 sisters (1 aged 15 and 1 aged 1).

proxy.php

When he was old enough, it would seem, that Harry joined the Army, the Grenadier Guards, 1st Bn, in 1910, along with 11 other Grenadier Guardsmen, he formed part of the honour Guard to march besides the coffin of Edward the Seventh. For this service Harry was awarded the Royal Victorian Medal in Bronze.

proxy.php

proxy.php

RVM (EdVII) Bronze: 7 June 1910

WARD, Harry. Pte King's Coy. 1st Bn Grenadier Guards: HM Funeral

[http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/windsor/w...Ifuneral.html]

2nd Bn Grenadier Guards:
4.8.14 Chelsea: 4th (Guards) Bde. 2nd Div. 15.8.14 Landed at Havr 20.8.15 to 1st Guards Bde. Guards Div.

On the 25th September 1917, 13789 Lcpl H.Ward of the 2nd Bn Grenadier Guards was awarded an MM for Bravery in the Field (hopefully the war diary will help to confirm what his actions were that lead to the award).

On the 1st December 1917 the 1st Guards division was at Cambrai, unfortunately Harry lost his life this day.

Name: WARD, HARRY
Initials: H
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Grenadier Guards
Unit Text: 2nd Bn.
Date of Death: 01/12/1917
Born In: Radford, Notts
Service No: 13789
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 2.
Memorial: CAMBRAI MEMORIAL, LOUVERVAL

ATB,
Tom

899429 Bmbr Barnes MM R.A. (64th Field Regiment)

proxy.php

MM for Anzio:

"On 18th February 44' All attempts at maintenance of the forward post with ration and wireless batteries had failed owing to enemy to enemy fire. Bmbr Barnes volunteered to take batteries to the post, although fully aware of the hazardous nature of the enterprise. Under constant shell-fire, mortar fire and sniping from small arms, bmdr barnes accompanied by l/bdr Hughes reached the bn HQ and delivered the sorely needed batteries. By his bravery and determination communications were upheld. Upon his return to the bty OP which was 400x in rear of bn HQ, bdr Barnes reported his mission completed to the OP officer , and then helped to defend the OP which was being attacked by the enemy armed flame throwers(!!!!) Bdr Barnes continued to use his TSMG. In defence of the OP until wounded and the party was ordered to withdraw. By his great determination and bravery in delivering batteries to his battery commander hen sorely need and his subsequent defence of the OP until wounded, Bdr Barnes showed a splendid example and it was largely due to his efforts that continuous support by the Artillery was maintained on the front of the 7th Btn Oxford and Buckinghamshire L.I."

No. 899429 Bombardier Eric Jaberth Barnes, Royal
Regiment of Artillery (Rye, Sussex).

This was one of only 4 MMs for Anzio awarded to the RA.

Hi Guys,

Forgive me posting a few times, but I hope you'll enjoy some of these fun medal groups :)

Private James Beck, 318th Infantry, was awarded, The Silver Star, The Bronze Star, The Order of Glory (3rd Class) and the Croix De Guerre! He received his 'Order of Slava No.3' on the 14th May 1945, award no. 329812, by order of Lt General Zavataev commanding the 4th Army, he received his award in Linz Austria.

"For Meritous Service in connection with military operations in the war against Germany"

His citation is attached in full below, but basically he went out into open ground exposed to heavy fire and proceeded to 'knock-out' 2 Tanks with three bazooka shells, getting hit by machine gun fire in the process. He was not with the 318th when they liberated (I think) Buchenwald/Auschwitz.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I just wonder if someone in my family will care as much about mine when i'm long gone! keep up the good work - remembrance matters.

Unknownsoldier. The above is my father in law, now sadly deceased. Myself and his daughter were delighted to read that you had obtained his OBE, we have often pondered what had been its fate. We would be very pleased to hear its story in more detail. Thanks in anticipation.

Charlie Sleeth was my father in law. He told me the tale of the Warren. He added that when he was firing at the attacking plane the empty shells were hitting the mate who cried 'Ive been hit.' Would be pleased to in detail how you came to find his OBE. Thanks.

As a military history buff, I think this is amazing work and a great way to keep the memories of those who served alive.

I especially like the citations for the British/Empire decorations from the late 1800s and WWI.

Charlie Sleeth was my father in law. He told me the tale of the Warren. He added that when he was firing at the attacking plane the empty shells were hitting the mate who cried 'Ive been hit.' Would be pleased to in detail how you came to find his OBE. Thanks.

Nothing amazing, just bought it in a an antique/house clearance shop as part of a lot (another female MBE for a mrs Partridge foir political work...). I didn't really look into it much as I couldn't read the name on the old certificate, took someone deciphering it to allow me to find out the story. As for more detail, that is the sotryreally, I have little else to go on, other than if memory serves, he sunk a ship he was captaining, but that was a passing notation if memory serves. If you have a photo, I'd love to be able to include it in his file :D

ATB,
Tom

As a military history buff, I think this is amazing work and a great way to keep the memories of those who served alive.

I especially like the citations for the British/Empire decorations from the late 1800s and WWI.

Some, like Sleeth's are amazing, others a little more mundane, but all were well earned.

Tom

Thanks for the reply. He,as we,lived in Grimsby. You said that you found the medal locally, was that local to canterbury? He was the skipper of the Daniel Quare which ran aground on the coast of Iceland though off watch at the time. After many years at sea he came ashore and was killed in an accident with a crane!

Thanks for the reply. He,as we,lived in Grimsby. You said that you found the medal locally, was that local to canterbury? He was the skipper of the Daniel Quare which ran aground on the coast of Iceland though off watch at the time. After many years at sea he came ashore and was killed in an accident with a crane!

No, Maidstone curiously enough.... thats a way away from Grimsby. How sad someone so brave should die in an accident with a crane.

Regards,
Tom

Hi Tom, Rob here, I know that this might not be the right forum, but myself and the family would be over the moon if Charles' medal and certificate could be once more with us. Of course this should be not at loss to yourself as it is acknownledged that his medal was one of your best finds within your hobby. Without your interest and dedication his efforts would have remained 'scrap metal'. This message is sent with the greatest respesct of your wishes.

Hi Tom, Rob here, I know that this might not be the right forum, but myself and the family would be over the moon if Charles' medal and certificate could be once more with us. Of course this should be not at loss to yourself as it is acknownledged that his medal was one of your best finds within your hobby. Without your interest and dedication his efforts would have remained 'scrap metal'. This message is sent with the greatest respesct of your wishes.

Tom, I think this would be a great end to the story and IMHO the way Charles would have wanted it. That said,lots of verification required. :thumbup1:

Tom, this is the first time I've read one of your historical threads. I am so impressed with the care and respect you have put into your fine "hobby". It brings life and perspective to those who fought for freedom. I'm hooked! I look forward to more....:thumbup:

Hi,

I'm very pleased with my find (it was greta reading about his exploits, very boys own...) and for the moment wish to hang on to if that is ok. However if you care to forward your names, address, etc. to me I shall place it with the display, with a note then if I decide to part with it, I will make sure you are my first port of call.

Regards,
Tom

Tom, this is the first time I've read one of your historical threads. I am so impressed with the care and respect you have put into your fine "hobby". It brings life and perspective to those who fought for freedom. I'm hooked! I look forward to more....:thumbup:

I'll try and find some more for you all, I have a few interesting ones, but it is getting harder to locate items thanks to the Antiques roadshow, so much has also in recent times been melted down for the silver content. :mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3:

Top Bottom